webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > New WebOS-Ports Video
New WebOS-Ports Video
Like Tree33Likes

Old 06/30/2013, 11:46 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
... The Ports team is putting a "howto port" together on the Wiki, so when that's completed people can play for themselves and start with ports :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
I'm looking forward to this, I've bought a Galaxy Nexus to try it :-)
If it's working I'm able to write a german description :-D
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2013, 12:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshang View Post
I just installed an Enyo2 App on it, its pretty responsive, much more responsive than some of the packaged Enyo 1 apps.

Managed to get a screenshot using

Thanx for the code and the screenshot, never saw such a huge webos-phone one at 1280x720
Old 06/30/2013, 12:23 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Theoretically: Yes! However there is still a lot of work to be done before that will happen. Ports prefers to use "open" devices for hard core development. When that is completed I think we can see ports to TP, Pre 3 and Veer maybe... The Ports team is putting a "howto port" together on the Wiki, so when that's completed people can play for themselves and start with ports :-)

OK thanks. Well, I have a first gen Kindle Fire==not sure if that would be suitable but since someone figured out how to put ICS on it, I would guess so. Perhaps someone can shed light on this as the "how to" guide takes shape.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2013, 01:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
I'm looking forward to this, I've bought a Galaxy Nexus to try it :-)
If it's working I'm able to write a german description :-D
Well for the Nexus you don't need to wait! Images AND instructions are already available! The guide is for when you want to attempt a new port! I have a brand new Huawei Ascend P2 laying around that I'd love to play around with
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2013, 03:17 PM   #45 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Would these modifications make it possible to install your webos-ports on the android side of the touchpad?

If so, this would help us more easily test it out with our existing hardware rather than having us to buy hardware just for testing purposes.
Er, this seems a brilliant idea!

1. There are Android drivers for the TP - which is why you can get Cyanogenmod on it.

2. webOS-Ports is 'Android hardware compatible' so swap the drivers and....

3. Profit? Can't be that simple, but would it be so difficult?

An upgrade on the way? ;-)

...in the coming months, of course!
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9 and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 07/02/2013, 02:48 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Theoretically: Yes! However there is still a lot of work to be done before that will happen. Ports prefers to use "open" devices for hard core development. When that is completed I think we can see ports to TP, Pre 3 and Veer maybe... The Ports team is putting a "howto port" together on the Wiki, so when that's completed people can play for themselves and start with ports :-)

Herrie, I think there are a lot of people still with TouchPads who remember webOS with some fondness, so if the webos-ports does get onto the TouchPad, I think there would be a fair amount of press on it, people would dust off their touchpads in the closet and install it to see what it looks like.
I don't understand the app situation though--ie what apps would it run--would they be enyo 2 apps--would it be the webapps that firefox os is supposed to run?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2013, 05:16 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Herrie, I think there are a lot of people still with TouchPads who remember webOS with some fondness, so if the webos-ports does get onto the TouchPad, I think there would be a fair amount of press on it, people would dust off their touchpads in the closet and install it to see what it looks like.
I don't understand the app situation though--ie what apps would it run--would they be enyo 2 apps--would it be the webapps that firefox os is supposed to run?
i can understand the excitement about open webOS on a touchpad, however i dont think "joe average" would be that excited given that it wouldnt be able to actually use a damned thing, nice technical displaypiece but not terribly useful till the chance of running pdk/mojo apps etc.

I doubt they would dust their touchpads off to see it when they can just as easily dust it off and see the full thing right now.
Old 07/02/2013, 06:29 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
[...] ie what apps would it run--would they be enyo 2 apps--would it be the webapps that firefox os is supposed to run?
FirefoxOS has its own Firefox WebAPI that they are developing (and other competing browsers like Chrome will later adopt as the spec is completed)

To answer your question, yes, we can only expect Enyo2 apps on OwOS at this point...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2013, 06:35 PM   #49 (permalink)

And instructions for installing the Mojo framework to run those apps. (I'm not certain of the viability of that, but have seen it mentioned)

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 07/02/2013, 07:05 PM   #50 (permalink)

what about nexus 7 ?
rwmanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2013, 11:56 PM   #51 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmanos View Post
what about nexus 7 ?
Nexus 7 has long been a Ports target... I'm sure that is following behind Gnex.

WebOS-Ports

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2013, 01:03 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Nexus 7 has long been a Ports target... I'm sure that is following behind Gnex
Nexus 7 comes directly behind the Galaxy Nexus and will profit from the same efforts than every other porting target could. Currently the Nexus 7 has some unfixed bugs with the ongoing acceleration work we hadn't time for to fix. Help is always welcome
morphis#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, daexpression, MartinH@webos and 1 others like this.
Old 07/03/2013, 05:29 AM   #53 (permalink)

the day when a Samsung S3 S4, note... is supported...would be a dream come true...i.e if someone can unlock the bootloader lol
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2013, 06:52 AM   #54 (permalink)

There is a Galaxy S4 as Google Play Edition ... means it should have Stock Android, but I can't say if with an unlocked bootloader ...
Old 07/03/2013, 10:30 AM   #55 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
There is a Galaxy S4 as Google Play Edition ... means it should have Stock Android, but I can't say if with an unlocked bootloader ...
The Google Play Edition Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One are bootloader and SIM unlocked...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2013, 07:46 AM   #56 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshang View Post
I just installed an Enyo2 App on it, its pretty responsive, much more responsive than some of the packaged Enyo 1 apps.

Given Preware 2 is not quite there yet, anyone interested in testing their Enyo2 app on this build, this is what I did to install an app. (If there is an easier way please feel free to let me know!)

Code:
(1) Package the app as a tgz file
(2) scp the file to root@192.168.7.2:/usr/palm/applications
(3) ssh to the phone and extract it and rename the directory to reflect the application package name
(4) luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}     
(5) The icon should appear on the launcher
Managed to get a screenshot using

Code:
luna-send -n 1 luna://com.palm.systemmanager/takeScreenShot '{"file":"/media/internal/screencaptures/screenshot.png"}'
What issues did you run into with Preware 2? Or is it just because there is no way jet to install packages not in any feed? I definitively need to get open webos on my Gnex again and try Preware 2 there... If I only had more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphis#WN View Post
Fact is that we modified the code provided by the Open webOS project to fit our needs and a lot of those modifications aren't suitable to go back into the upstream project. This includes all the modifications done to support Android hardware through libhybris.
I hope you can still include improvements coming from upstream...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
FirefoxOS has its own Firefox WebAPI that they are developing (and other competing browsers like Chrome will later adopt as the spec is completed)

To answer your question, yes, we can only expect Enyo2 apps on OwOS at this point...
Yeah, we can hope that someday the webkit engine of open webos will get these apis, too. Because Mozilla wants them the be webstandards and will offer the same apis in their desktop browser...

Of course, if the app does not use any unavailable apis (like GPS or stuff) you can still use it on open webos.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2013, 05:04 PM   #57 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I wonder why this isn't announced in Articles.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Old 07/05/2013, 05:12 PM   #58 (permalink)

Don't you know, they've stopped writing about webOS on mobile nations.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2013, 05:58 PM   #59 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
What issues did you run into with Preware 2? Or is it just because there is no way jet to install packages not in any feed?
Once I go to a package screen, I dot not get any button available to install it. I cannot scroll on that screen either. (see screenshot)

I also noticed the the "Preware Done Updating Feeds" notification keeps coming up repeatedly.

From the logs it looks like the IPKGService is getting some error and that might be causing it to keep showing this message.

Quote:
2013-07-06T05:51:58.169860Z [282] user.notice WebAppMgr legacy-log org.webosinternals.preware: TypeError: 'undefined' is not an object, undefined:0
2013-07-06T05:51:58.371612Z [282] user.notice WebAppMgr legacy-log org.webosinternals.preware: IPKGService#generalFailure, file:///usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.preware/build/enyo.js:207
2013-07-06T05:51:58.372253Z [282] user.notice WebAppMgr legacy-log org.webosinternals.preware: , file:///usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.preware/build/app.js:5273
2013-07-06T05:51:58.373077Z [282] user.notice WebAppMgr legacy-log org.webosinternals.preware: preware.SavedPacketlist.load is only a stub., file:///usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.preware/build/enyo.js:207
2013-07-06T05:51:58.375244Z [282] user.notice WebAppMgr legacy-log org.webosinternals.preware: <strong>Done!</strong>, file:///usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.preware/build/app.js:5273
2013-07-06T05:51:58.392761Z [282] user.notice LunaSysMgr legacy-log BannerMessageHandler::addMessage: org.webosinternals.preware, 282882.568362
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshotJSTOP.png (116.3 KB, 17 views) Email Attachment
roshang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2013, 06:34 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphis#WN View Post
Nexus 7 comes directly behind the Galaxy Nexus
OK.

What about a port to HP slate7 ? So far I have not seen any effort at HP to offer webos for Slate7 devices.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote