webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > New WebOS-Ports Video
New WebOS-Ports Video
Like Tree33Likes

Old 06/28/2013, 12:02 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
This gives me a bit of confidence that we will ultimately get Open webOS on other hardware. Good to hear of the hook-up with the libhybris project. Keep the info coming.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2013, 12:44 AM   #22 (permalink)

Argh, I may get a phone in a couple months and I was intending to get a Lumia 820, but now this gem pops up!
And with the OKness of Android an prospect of Ubuntu Touch, the Galaxy Nexus once again is tempting me! ARGH
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2013, 03:05 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
looks very nice. but what's up with the gesture response? almost every gesture needed to be repeated. is that the OS being sluggish, poor response from the touchscreen, or just the demonstrator not being thorough enough with his finger swipes??

right now its alpha..not even beta. if the folks have gotten the vido acceleration settled, the touch screen is not a big deal. however I do think they hace yet ro settle pinch n zoom functionality, so slme work on that. with the important pieces im place , wifi and soon the dialinf integration. I am cautiously optimistic. now all we need are key apps working.

as another member mentioned , its time to reach out to some android coders to help in these areas. maybe even look ar other countries developers from traditional palm space to add their apps to this platform. we need evangelists n lots of luck
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2013, 03:46 AM   #24 (permalink)

Let me answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Is there an instruction on how to install this release?
Yes, have a look at Index of /alpha2/ for the ready to be flashed images and at Testing Gnex - WebOS-Ports for instructions how to install this on a Galaxy Nexus device.

Quote:
Question for the developers: Is CDMA support possible now or in the near future?
As said in the announcement we're using libhybris to utilize hardware support from Android. This includes telephony support. Currently there is work going on within the Ubuntu Touch project to integrate support for the Android telephony management layer within ofono (https://ofono.org/) which is the base for webOS ports.

Quote:
fingers crossed that after it all becomes more stable that its somehow possible after that to make pdk apps work.
If you would have read the announcement carefully, we told that its already possible to launch native qt5 based applications. So if you don't just mean SDL based apps with "pdk apps" its already possible (except having the webOS specific API to call several system functionalities - all this needs to be done on your own).

Quote:
Wish I could help more; but best I can do is install and try to break it! ;-)
Testers are always welcome. If you have found bugs please report them in our bug tracker at Ports - Overview - webOS Ports rather than here in the forum. We can't not take on bug reports reported within the forum. The bug tracker is the only authoritive source for this.

Quote:
I'm not asking for any sort of promise, but does anyone know if it's probable that OWOS will be ported to the Nexus 4?
As already said in the announcement, we're basing our work on top of the libhybris compatbility layer which enables us to put webOS ports (note I am talking about webOS ports not Open webOS!) on any android device with minimal effort. If someone steps up and does this job for the Nexus 4 it's definitely possible. But next to this you have to consider one thing: We can port to hundred devices but all this work woudn't help us if the system isn't stable or usable. So getting the system working first is the right priority.

Quote:
looks very nice. but what's up with the gesture response? almost every gesture needed to be repeated. is that the OS being sluggish, poor response from the touchscreen, or just the demonstrator not being thorough enough with his finger swipes??
This behaviour has nothing to do with the OS being slugish or a poor responsive touchscreen. It's mostly the LunaSysMgr which was heavily modifed by us to support our new rendering architecture to enable video acceleration through libhybris. Through this process these bugs came up and have to be fixed.

Quote:
1) is this progress (impressive though it is) on the Galaxy Nexus easily applied to future nexus devices?
We're trying to stay as portable as possible.

Quote:
3) Other than getting more talented coders to help with the cause, is there anything practical that the dwindling webos users can do to help besides donate $$.
We need a lot help, especially if you can write applications for webOS. We need to rewrite a lot and it's mostly the application site which is far behind from what you would expect. So if nobody steps up to help us with the application site to write new shiny enyo2/nodejs services even donating won't help.

regards,
Simon
morphis#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, k4ever, Preemptive and 2 others like this.
Old 06/28/2013, 04:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So now as hardware/driver issues seem to be on a good way, is there anything new if any of the ripped out software parts like Synergy & EAS or for the old app-base MOJO framework or even PDK framework can be "re-implanted" (not officially but via doctor extract)?
Old 06/28/2013, 08:18 AM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
So now as hardware/driver issues seem to be on a good way, is there anything new if any of the ripped out software parts like Synergy & EAS or for the old app-base MOJO framework or even PDK framework can be "re-implanted" (not officially but via doctor extract)?
EAS seems to be a money issue. License is said to be $100k + license for each device.

PDK is gone, but I have seen references made to NDK in recent commits on GitHub and also read comments "somewhere" that they are working on some new "developer tools". I'm not sure if old "PDK" stuff would work.

Mojo might be able to work (might need to patch some bits but those could be derived from WOCE code I think), we would have to test that.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2013, 08:44 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
EAS seems to be a money issue. License is said to be $100k + license for each device.

PDK is gone, but I have seen references made to NDK in recent commits on GitHub and also read comments "somewhere" that they are working on some new "developer tools". I'm not sure if old "PDK" stuff would work.

Mojo might be able to work (might need to patch some bits but those could be derived from WOCE code I think), we would have to test that.
and based on the above id still personally caution "joe average" users not to get the hardware expecting they would get the same or similar experience to their regular devices, even if they do get it up and runing they pretty much have nothing to use on their device atm and that will likely remain that way for quite some time yet.
Old 06/28/2013, 08:48 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphis#WN View Post
Let me answer some of your questions.

We need a lot help, especially if you can write applications for webOS. We need to rewrite a lot and it's mostly the application site which is far behind from what you would expect. So if nobody steps up to help us with the application site to write new shiny enyo2/nodejs services even donating won't help.

regards,
Simon
What about Canuck Coding? I would donate some money to reserve some of Jason's time to write some services.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2013, 09:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
What about Canuck Coding? I would donate some money to reserve some of Jason's time to write some services.
Quote:
We need someone coordinating such things as well.
Old 06/28/2013, 10:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
A birdie told me he's back @ webOS team again for another internship this summer!
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 06/28/2013, 11:34 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
A birdie told me he's back @ webOS team again for another internship this summer!
Herrie, thanks. What does that mean? Does that mean he is working on the tv stuff? If so the webos ports stuff is for phones and tablets, right, which LG is not coding for?

If he has extra time and wants to earn extra money helping the mobility project, I'm in. Perhaps the "little birdie" could clarify with Jay?
Old 06/28/2013, 12:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

Great news.
Great news !
s3rgei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2013, 01:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Herrie, thanks. What does that mean? Does that mean he is working on the tv stuff? If so the webos ports stuff is for phones and tablets, right, which LG is not coding for?

If he has extra time and wants to earn extra money helping the mobility project, I'm in. Perhaps the "little birdie" could clarify with Jay?
Not sure if he's on the Enyo or webOS team but I know he's back at LG's lab for another summer.... He's on Twitter, you can ask him there :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 06/28/2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06/28/2013, 08:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
(note I am talking about webOS ports not Open webOS!)
May I ask for some clarification on this point? Is this a fork? Or is it like 'stock' Android vs the OEM version? Or... what?

Thanks.

http://www.webos-ports.org/wiki/Help_Wanted

Er anyone else seeing the Pre Penguin as a message icon option? Not sure if it actually displays...
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2013, 09:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
Rnp

Hummm... maybe... the LG Nexus... who knows... hummm...

Best Regards...
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 06/28/2013, 09:44 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
May I ask for some clarification on this point? Is this a fork? Or is it like 'stock' Android vs the OEM version? Or... what?

Thanks.

Help Wanted - WebOS-Ports

Er anyone else seeing the Pre Penguin as a message icon option? Not sure if it actually displays...
the webOS Ports fork is being built to make use of "Android-only" hardware, while the original Open webOS has a kernel that is not usable on the current generation of phones and requires webOS-style drivers to be written for the platform... so the original is "theory", the Ports fork is "practice", though at any time the changes can be upstreamed to fill in any missing functionality...

Hope that answers your question
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 06/29/2013, 03:07 AM   #37 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I just installed an Enyo2 App on it, its pretty responsive, much more responsive than some of the packaged Enyo 1 apps.

Given Preware 2 is not quite there yet, anyone interested in testing their Enyo2 app on this build, this is what I did to install an app. (If there is an easier way please feel free to let me know!)

Code:
(1) Package the app as a tgz file
(2) scp the file to [email protected]:/usr/palm/applications
(3) ssh to the phone and extract it and rename the directory to reflect the application package name
(4) luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}     
(5) The icon should appear on the launcher
Managed to get a screenshot using

Code:
luna-send -n 1 luna://com.palm.systemmanager/takeScreenShot '{"file":"/media/internal/screencaptures/screenshot.png"}'
Attached Images
File Type: png LondonTubeScreenshot.png (90.2 KB, 58 views) Email Attachment
roshang is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, gizmo21, k4ever and 2 others like this.
Thanked By: 60RH
Old 06/30/2013, 06:37 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Fact is that we modified the code provided by the Open webOS project to fit our needs and a lot of those modifications aren't suitable to go back into the upstream project. This includes all the modifications done to support Android hardware through libhybris.

Quote:
I just installed an Enyo2 App on it, its pretty responsive, much more responsive than some of the packaged Enyo 1 apps.
Yeah, really nice! Looks like we should get some playground feeds setup in the near future to allow you to upload your app to show other people what is already possible with webOS ports!
Old 06/30/2013, 11:13 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Fact is that we modified the code provided by the Open webOS project to fit our needs and a lot of those modifications aren't suitable to go back into the upstream project. This includes all the modifications done to support Android hardware through libhybris.

Yeah, really nice! Looks like we should get some playground feeds setup in the near future to allow you to upload your app to show other people what is already possible with webOS ports!
Would these modifications make it possible to install your webos-ports on the android side of the touchpad?

If so, this would help us more easily test it out with our existing hardware rather than having us to buy hardware just for testing purposes.
Liked by Rnp, Preemptive and Remy X like this.
Old 06/30/2013, 11:30 AM   #40 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Would these modifications make it possible to install your webos-ports on the android side of the touchpad?

If so, this would help us more easily test it out with our existing hardware rather than having us to buy hardware just for testing purposes.
Theoretically: Yes! However there is still a lot of work to be done before that will happen. Ports prefers to use "open" devices for hard core development. When that is completed I think we can see ports to TP, Pre 3 and Veer maybe... The Ports team is putting a "howto port" together on the Wiki, so when that's completed people can play for themselves and start with ports :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 06/30/2013 at 01:20 PM.