webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > When coming back to webOS...Pre3 or Veer?
When coming back to webOS...Pre3 or Veer?
Like Tree13Likes

Old 06/17/2013, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm thinking of returning to the unlocked/unsubsidized/prepaid 4G world of cellular ownership and as such, thinking of returning to the ultra-tinkerable webOS as my daily driver. I used to have a Pre+ on Verizon and I absolutely adored that phone (sans dreadful battery life.) The Pre3 was a phone I drooled over since its inception and now that it has become somewhat affordable, the temptation is all but avoidable. However on the same coin, the unlocked Veer is even MORE affordable and I've not heard quite as many complaints for that phone. So my question comes down to this; take on the Pre3 because its technically spec'd better and was a dream phone of mine? Or take on the cute little Panda Veer with its miniscule pricetag? Opinions, facts, and gripes are always appreciated!
onry_fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: michaelkriss
Old 06/17/2013, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onry_fng View Post
I'm thinking of returning to the unlocked/unsubsidized/prepaid 4G world of cellular ownership and as such, thinking of returning to the ultra-tinkerable webOS as my daily driver. I used to have a Pre+ on Verizon and I absolutely adored that phone (sans dreadful battery life.) The Pre3 was a phone I drooled over since its inception and now that it has become somewhat affordable, the temptation is all but avoidable. However on the same coin, the unlocked Veer is even MORE affordable and I've not heard quite as many complaints for that phone. So my question comes down to this; take on the Pre3 because its technically spec'd better and was a dream phone of mine? Or take on the cute little Panda Veer with its miniscule pricetag? Opinions, facts, and gripes are always appreciated!
If you want the Pre3 and take the Veer, you'll still want the Pre3. If you take the Pre3, how long will you worry about the little extra money?

Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by vasekvi and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: onry_fng
Old 06/17/2013, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had a panda Veer until the speaker is dead, then I upgrade to a Pre3 ever since.
I love the look and feel of the panda Veer, it looks sexy and feels solid. However, I wouldn't go back to Veer mainly because the magnetic connector is just a disaster to me.
1. You have to carry the 3.5mm adapter around so you can listen to music on an headset, and you have to unplug the headset first before you remove the adapter so the Veer will switch the audio output to the speaker. This is just inconvenient. Not to mention I lost my adapter a few months later and could not found a replacement. And I'm not sure if this is common, but the audio quality isn't good.
2. Not after long, the magnetic connector started to malfunction, and I could not connect the Veer to the PC via USB anymore. The only way I could transfer files with PC is using WIFI Media Sync. Very inconvenient.

Even though Pre3 only comes in black (to 99.9% of us), is bulky, and doesn't support Classic and Universe, other than those, I don't have much to complain. The keyboard is far better than the Veers, and this just makes it all worthwhile.
Jason2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2013, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

here's the factors to consider:
- screen size: do u web browse w/ your phone a lot? Pre3
- keyboard size: do you type a lot? Pre3
- do you drop things a lot & expect to need spare parts/phones? Veer
- do you like cute little conversation pieces? Veer
- music listener? Get a stereo BT headset & its a tie
- budget tight? 3 Veers = 1 Pre3
- battery life: non-removable vs. No spare charger. You'll need Touchstones everywhere either way. Tie.

ive had the Pre3, i went crazy and bought spare batts & a whole extra phone, and after 2 mos blew it all out to go back to a FrankenPre2 to stay on Sprint. The Pre3 is a slick phone, but w/o much accessory support I was in constant paranoia like i was talking on a Faberge egg. But its so nice it just makes me hate HP more each time i think about it. They finally built a solid phone then abandoned it. !#?+%!

how do you typically choose? Answer this quickly:

Honda Civic Si or Jaguar?
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 06/17/2013, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
here's the factors to consider:
- screen size: do u web browse w/ your phone a lot? Pre3
- keyboard size: do you type a lot? Pre3
- do you drop things a lot & expect to need spare parts/phones? Veer
- do you like cute little conversation pieces? Veer
- music listener? Get a stereo BT headset & its a tie
- budget tight? 3 Veers = 1 Pre3
- battery life: non-removable vs. No spare charger. You'll need Touchstones everywhere either way. Tie.

ive had the Pre3, i went crazy and bought spare batts & a whole extra phone, and after 2 mos blew it all out to go back to a FrankenPre2 to stay on Sprint. The Pre3 is a slick phone, but w/o much accessory support I was in constant paranoia like i was talking on a Faberge egg. But its so nice it just makes me hate HP more each time i think about it. They finally built a solid phone then abandoned it. !#?+%!

how do you typically choose? Answer this quickly:

Honda Civic Si or Jaguar?
I agree with you, except on the dropping aspect.
I dropped both my Veer and Pre3 a few times, and as a result, Veer's speaker is broken, while Pre3 still stands.
Jason2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2013, 02:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2004 View Post
1. You have to carry the 3.5mm adapter around so you can listen to music on an headset, and you have to unplug the headset first before you remove the adapter so the Veer will switch the audio output to the speaker. This is just inconvenient. Not to mention I lost my adapter a few months later and could not found a replacement. And I'm not sure if this is common, but the audio quality isn't good.
I must disagree with that. I never had an issue with just removing the magnetic connector from the Veer. In fact I always left the magnetic connector connected to my favorite headphones. That made the magnetic connector feel much nicer than a common 3.5mm jack to connect the headset to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2004 View Post
2. Not after long, the magnetic connector started to malfunction, and I could not connect the Veer to the PC via USB anymore. The only way I could transfer files with PC is using WIFI Media Sync. Very inconvenient.
For me it helps to reattach the magnetic connector multiple times while it is plugged in in USB. What I saw from an external battery pack (the ones with USB outlet) is that the magnetic adapter constantly drains energy from the USB Port, even if the phone is not attached. So I think it is quite important to first connect USB and then the magnetic part. That's what worked for me till now.

To the Pre3 <=> Veer comparison: I bought both of them when they were "released" in Europe. I switched a bit between them: first Veer, because it was released earlier => Pre3 when I got it => Veer, because webos 2.2.0 that came with the Pre3 was SO bad => Pre3 a few months later, because 2.2.4 was released and memory issues where said to be "fixed" by people in the forums => Veer, because Pre3 was breaking apart.

The Pre3 was used for about a year as daily driver... the Veer for the rest of the time (a little longer than a year now, all cumulated). The "other" phone always had a dummy profile activated and was played with from time to time and compared to the first phone. So I think I can compare them quite well.

Today I am lucky with my Veer and think it is the better phone. Reasons for that:
1. More memory for webOs (~400MB compared to ~370MB on the Pre3. It sounds like not much, but really makes a difference. Pre3 people tend to disagree here, but you can definitively see the Pre3 struggling much earlier than the Veer, if you have them both in your hands and let them do exactly the same things... for me that is "too early" on the Pre3. If you are into multitasking, keep that issue in mind. From that Point of view a Pre2 or Pre+ would be the best choice, but I can't stand their keyboard anymore, but that's another story)
2. Better to use with one hand. The smaller screen is easier to use, obviously... you can easily reach the most extreme positions with your thumb while the phone rests in your palm. With the Pre3 that sometimes hurts for me... but the more important thing is that it is much easier to slide the Veer open with one hand, using your thumb, than the Pre3. With the Pre3 that is close to impossible, because the slider is much harder to slide
3. More durable. Maybe that's just me. But my Pre3 broke apart, my Veer did not. The pattern of use is the very same (I don't handle them very carefully, they drop quite often). Pre3 started with a breaking back cover and ended with screen bezel and rest of the cover breaking apart. I stopped using it as daily phone when the power button did break out. As I said: Maybe that was just my Pre3. My wife's Pre3 still is fine... but she is much carefuller with it (I think she never dropped it, till today).
4. Memory issue of the Pre3 (yes, I need to mention that again )
5. More save when dropping. Yes, Jason disagrees... but this is pure physics. Pre3 is heavier => more energy to consume when dropped. Sure, you can have bad luck and the Veer breaks earlier. But probability is against the Pre3.

Actually, I can't see a difference in the keyboard apart from the size. Both devices have a much better keyboard than the Pre-/+/2. It is actually similar to the Pixi keyboard with it much better buttons.

Issues with the Veer are:
1. No official 2.2.4 doctor. That means you either use 2.1.2 (or 2.1.1 in US) and use the overclocking kernels or you do the inofficial 2.2.4 doctor and keep the stock kernel. I must say that I am happy with 2.2.4 and the stock kernel. In my opinion CPU speed is not the main issue with webos but more the memory. Be sure to look for the system optimization and swap patches from rmau no matter what phone you get.
2. Hardware deficiencies like no flash (i.e. no flash light ), magnetic connector, smaller screen (I can live with it and am happy. Can you? It is even that little bit smaller than the Pre, has the same size and resolution like the Pixi), only one mic => slide it open when you do a call!
3. Battery (officially) not replaceable. You can open the back cover and get to the battery. That might void your warranty (I think that's not a show stopper any more, is it? ). The bigger issue is that the back cover is not made to be opened a lot. You see that. You should avoid that as much as possible or expect the back cover to break apart. (In my opinion similar is true for the Pre3... because my back cover broke and you can read in the forums quite a bit about that... so this might actually be a plus for the Veer: you can remove/switch the SIM without opening the back cover. Yeah. )
4. Pre3 receives more love in the community. Look at the activity in the boards. Maybe Phoenix Devices will do an ACL for the Pre3... they never mentioned the Veer. If ACL for Pre3 really happens (they said MAYBE ), then this would be a strong argument for the Pre3 and actually made me looking for a replacement Pre3 on ebay already...

So.. that's all that comes to my mind at this moment. It is a hard decision to make.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by onry_fng, Rnp, RumoredNow
Old 06/18/2013, 02:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've got both, and for me the pre3 is just plain better.

the veer is oh-so-cute, but it seems a lot more unstable to me, even with uberkernel etc. installed. The pre3 is my dependable daily driver.
Xeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2013, 04:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

pre is bigger and more stable. RAM is an issue on it.
My veer turns on / unlocks way too easily (slider sensor, I think it is a common problem). Also the screen just sucks. Don't get me wrong, I don't like enormous phones. But the veer is just too tiny.

Take the pre3.
kulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2013, 06:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

The Veer is a definite conversation starter. I pulled it out at the Virgin Mobile booth on the weekend (my wife was picking up an iphone 4s - sigh) and the employees were all over it! The screen is small but I'm surprised how usable I find it. The keyboard is a big improvement over my Pre-. I haven't found the magnetic connector to be a big distraction but I think I might invest in a decent set of bluetooth headphones. For file transfer I've been using the Wife TP File Browser app, which is great. Much more convenient than a cord.
mjensen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2013, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

At the same time, I'm looking on Amazon and am seeing that the Pre2 is even CHEAPER!! It looks about the same as my old Pre+ did (sans the rounded screen) and I'm wondering if I should go for that instead. The Pre3 is still reading a whopping $176.00 or so right now on Amazon and I just don't have that to drop on a phone. Hmmm...decisions, decisions...
Old 06/18/2013, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
At the same time, I'm looking on Amazon and am seeing that the Pre2 is even CHEAPER!! It looks about the same as my old Pre+ did (sans the rounded screen) and I'm wondering if I should go for that instead. The Pre3 is still reading a whopping $176.00 or so right now on Amazon and I just don't have that to drop on a phone. Hmmm...decisions, decisions...
Having both a Pre 2 and a Veer, I can say the Veer performed better for me despite being on 2.1.2. Overclocked it just does when asked. Great call clarity which is missing on Pre 2.

If the 8GB is enough storage and the small screen doesn't turn you off, Veer is a great bargain. I've resisted moving away from the sanctioned 2.1.2 version because, IMHO, they did something in there to optimize for the Veer. It seems to perform way better than the spec would suggest it can.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2013, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Even though I do have a shiny new Pre3, I find that my Pre2 also still satisfies my needs as a daily driver.

Pre2 really is a nice upgrade from the Pre+.
jccjmml7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by onry_fng likes this.
Old 06/18/2013, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
***update*** i have to retract the comment in red below. after reading some spec sheets online, i'm not so sure that the Pre2 is limited to 3G speeds. Ive read a firmware update might be required, but that the hardware is compatible with H+ since it is based on UMTS. so GSM Pre2 users may want to investigate if H+ speeds are obtainable

if your main factor is budget spent on a phone, overall, then the Pre2 is definitely the way to go. I've got a zillion spare batteries from all my Pre's, and parts phones are a dime a dozen.

but you'll be restricted to 3G. No H+ with a Pre2 anyway you look at it. And the speed is significantly faster IF YOU ARE IN A SATURATED COVERAGE AREA. If you're not on a carrier that provides H+, AND IN A SATURATED COVERAGE AREA, then faux-G is a battery drainer as it switches back n' forth on the bands. This was the primary reason I cancelled my plan to use my Pre3 on T-Mobile or ATT, and built another Franken to stay on Sprint.

There's GSM Pre2's all over fleabay, and they are the budget leader for sure.

I know, it's a tough decision.

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/08/2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: not so sure about Pre2's limitations with HSDPA...
Old 06/18/2013, 11:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
Even though I do have a shiny new Pre3, I find that my Pre2 also still satisfies my needs as a daily driver.

yeah, it becomes something to covet, like you want to put it in a nice display case.

but i need my phone to be a tool, like a Leatherman multi-tool. That's why I went back to a Pre2 also.

you have no idea how much i wish the Pre3 was released on Sprint. Or heck, by now a Pre4 would be releasing with a dual-core and LTE. ugh! i hate you HP!
Liked by paisley99 likes this.
Old 06/18/2013, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post

The palm pre 2 is a nice phone, if you looking for a low budget phone with a nice price tag of $70 dollars(online whether on Amazon or on the fleabay) and honestly its much better than choosing a Veer which is too small of a phone and the magnetic plug connector becomes annoying problem to use or listen to music. However me seeing and holding a Pre 3 in my hand recently and noticing the hardware improvements over the much older Pre 2....I will recommend spending a bit extra on the Pre 3.

But seeing and realizing you are on a budget and looking for a mid-range phone go safely with the Pre 2, you won't regret it.

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 06/18/2013 at 06:07 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2013, 05:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Wow, another fun completely subjective thread.

I have Pixi plus pre plus pre2 veer pre3.

The veer and the pre3 are the only 2 phones I would consider as daily drivers.

The pre2s older hardware feels quite a bit slower than either the veer or pre3 no question in my mind.

The veer is a pain to use on web pages. The pre3 is much more enjoyable in that matter.

The memory issue can be helped with patches and kernels and govnah settings and overall the pre3 is by far my favorite daily driver.

The veer would get my 2nd vote with a pre2 coming in at a distant 3rd, no H+ an not much more resolution than the veer, it just feels sluggish especially if you overclock the veer to 1.4ghz. Then it really feels faster than the pre2.

I would suggest that the extra you pay for a pre3 is worth the price but to each their own.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2013, 06:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
...patches and kernels and govnah settings...
Oh My!!!

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jccjmml7 likes this.
Old 06/18/2013, 10:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

I haven't had a veer so I cannot compare that and the pre3. But if you like to run alot of apps and since budget is a factor I will recommend considering the pre2. It would run way more cards than the pre3 can without freezing or getting tmc errors.

But build quality on the pre3 is awesome. Just watch out for that bezel cracking in the corners. But you won't have oreo like on the pre plus and pre2. The slider on the 3 just feels so nice. Which it probably does on the veer.

As far as spare battery goes, the back of the veer does come off easily enough to get to it. I did that with my fingernails when I was at the att store playing with the veer. Which is soo tiny after having a pre3 for a while.

I wish the pre3 came in white. It would look so good in panda.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2013, 06:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks to all who have replied thus far! Sarcastically and otherwise! It seems as though I am getting mixed reviews here (says Cpt. Obvious) and my mind is still racked with choices. I seem to be getting that all parties mentioned are relevant in their own right and that really it comes down to what I can/can't stand when it comes to my smartphone. And while I really don't have the extra cash to spare on a 176.00 Pre3, I really did love the form/fit of my Pre+ and would rather have something similar than to take on something like the Veer. And with my usage, screen size takes the cake over data transfer capabilities any day, so 3G on the Pre2 wouldn't bother me (given that I'd be using T-Mo prepaid, I hope I'd still get 3G). Its looking like unless someone makes a watertight case for the Veer over the Pre2, I'm going to be getting the latter until I can afford a Pre3.
Old 06/19/2013, 09:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
ka1

I'm using my daughter's veer right now, since my Pre3 may be dead (doctoring it as we speak...).

I must say, the Veer is really more rugged than I thought, and has a great form factor, but I don't think I could get used to the small screen. I really love my Pre3 (thought I miss Classic!).

The Veer chord/cable thing always confused me - don't people use touchstones and bluetooth headsets? If so, then the file transfer is the only issue, and for that, there are the other solutions.

good luck!