webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > When coming back to webOS...Pre3 or Veer?
When coming back to webOS...Pre3 or Veer?
Like Tree13Likes

Old 06/19/2013, 03:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
The Veer chord/cable thing always confused me - don't people use touchstones and bluetooth headsets?
exactly. join the 21st century. the inductive charging and BT stereo headset are two of the best wireless technologies to hit the consumer market!

i thought the whole idea of the Veer was you just left it in your shirt pocket and worked on your TouchPad; when a call comes in you just answer it with headset controls; and to call out you use Voice Dial; otherwise just stream the tunes and immerse into all that was the great vision of webOS Synergy.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: onry_fng
Old 06/19/2013, 03:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
exactly. join the 21st century. the inductive charging and BT stereo headset are two of the best wireless technologies to hit the consumer market!

[...]
And don't forget WiFi File Sharing

This way you only need the cord for the occasional doctoring...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Old 06/19/2013, 03:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onry_fng View Post
Thanks to all who have replied thus far! Sarcastically and otherwise! It seems as though I am getting mixed reviews here (says Cpt. Obvious) and my mind is still racked with choices. I seem to be getting that all parties mentioned are relevant in their own right and that really it comes down to what I can/can't stand when it comes to my smartphone. And while I really don't have the extra cash to spare on a 176.00 Pre3, I really did love the form/fit of my Pre+ and would rather have something similar than to take on something like the Veer. And with my usage, screen size takes the cake over data transfer capabilities any day, so 3G on the Pre2 wouldn't bother me (given that I'd be using T-Mo prepaid, I hope I'd still get 3G). Its looking like unless someone makes a watertight case for the Veer over the Pre2, I'm going to be getting the latter until I can afford a Pre3.
if you're using T-Mo, just make sure you get a handset that includes the 1700Mhz band that they use exclusively. They're migrating 3G to 1900 to make room for 4G on the 1700, but w/o it you're just getting 2G Edge speeds, which IS SLOW. I don't know if the GSM Pre2 includes 1700. Look into that so you're not rudely surprised. A local T-Mo rep may be able to tell you what bands are in use in your area.
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 06/19/2013, 04:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

i thought the whole idea of the Veer was you just left it in your shirt pocket and worked on your TouchPad; when a call comes in you just answer it with headset controls; and to call out you use Voice Dial; otherwise just stream the tunes and immerse into all that was the great vision of webOS Synergy.
I have two touchstones and a BT headset. Still I often have to exchange files on different computers, listen to music when I don't have the BT headset around, charge the phone without touchstone when traveling, play music in a car through the phone...
So with Veer, I had to carry the connector, adapter, BT headset around, ended up carrying more weight than with Pre3. And after the connector went down, it was just misery.
Jason2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2013, 05:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
There are no webOS devices that work on T-Mobile's 1700Mhz band. You'll be stuck in Edge unless you happen to live in a refarmed area. I'd strongly suggest going with AT&T instead.
Exactly...

Here's the unofficial map of the refarmed areas: Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2013, 12:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

I would go with the pre3. I have both on daily basis and the Veer is very slow.
Old 06/20/2013, 03:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rnp

Oh... well... do you really wanna know the best solution?

Buy both!

Best Regards...
Old 06/26/2013, 03:39 AM   #28 (permalink)

An enormous thanks to all involved in this thread!! After much deliberation tonight, I have decided to go with the Pre2. Given that my last webOS device was a Pre+, I think a Pre2 will be to me what the Pre3 is to everyone else. And when the Pre3 comes down in price again, just ever so slightly, I will be ordering that with a quickness. Now, to those still invested in this thread, one last question: Clearly T-Mo is not the greatest idea in terms of connectivity, but I'm on the fence between Straight Talk and AT&T. Does ATT even have a "bring your own phone program," and if so, what would you suggest between them and Straight Talk (unless there's other similar and better providers I am missing)???
onry_fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2013, 09:57 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onry_fng View Post
An enormous thanks to all involved in this thread!! After much deliberation tonight, I have decided to go with the Pre2. Given that my last webOS device was a Pre+, I think a Pre2 will be to me what the Pre3 is to everyone else. And when the Pre3 comes down in price again, just ever so slightly, I will be ordering that with a quickness. Now, to those still invested in this thread, one last question: Clearly T-Mo is not the greatest idea in terms of connectivity, but I'm on the fence between Straight Talk and AT&T. Does ATT even have a "bring your own phone program," and if so, what would you suggest between them and Straight Talk (unless there's other similar and better providers I am missing)???
my experience comparing plans many months ago, was that ATT was just too expensive to still have a data cap. Their svc. Plans change thoug, so price compare.

if you get a gsm Pre2, it very likely will be ATT branded so you shouldnt have a problem activating it.

but if you've monitored your usage, and know that 2gig of data is suffficient, STalk @ $45 is a bargain.

some have suggested that the service isnt as good, but i quetion that. H+ is H+ as far as i know, and STalk IS on ATT network. Someone else who has field tested this comparison may confirm this yes or no.

H+ is fast. I liked it, but last month i used 7gig of sprint's 3G, so I'm not going anywhere else anytime soon.

and of course you can test drive STalk for just a month if you want, since its pre-pay. The pkgs vary on ATT, which features are tied to each pkg so review that too and compare.

i like my Pre2 a lot. Plenty of support accessory-wise.
Old 06/26/2013, 12:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I just looked...

Straight Talk is still not offering AT&T compatible SIMS again. (They ceased a few months ago.) There is some sort of fight going on between ST and AT&T... All they offer for BYOP is a T-Mo compatible SIM. Since you wouldn't have the 1700 MHz band needed for T-Mo 3G/H+ all you will get is EDGE.

There are people on eBay who sell AT&T compatible SIMS for Straight Talk, but they are asking a lot of money. And the investment might not be worth it. Rumors are that the new "secret" data cap on an ATT style SIM with ST is 1.5 GB. Throttling and bans are being reported as well.

It's the reason I left Straight Talk a couple months ago. Despite modest and reasonable data use, I was getting slowed down every month... I had to move over to T-Mo and that's why my Veer is no longer my daily.

Net 10 might be the best bet for an ATT mvno. I simply got tired of searching options and decided to just go with a name brand. Of the two GSM networks, T-Mo has the best pricing.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: TJs11thPre
Old 06/26/2013, 02:37 PM   #31 (permalink)

Thanks for the help! All things considered, I found a AT&T compatible Net10 SIM card on Amazon for $5.00! So that should give me workable data speeds while the Net10 plan isn't that bad at $50 bucks a month. Well worth it for my Pre2, I think. I may be returning in the next few days with some questions as to how to get it working properly. But thanks for all the help already provided!
onry_fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 10:17 AM   #32 (permalink)

I've had my Veer for almost 2 years now with very little problems.
I'm on AT&T and the data is fast and calls are reliable. They have many data tiers, you just have to find out which will work for you. They also have shared data plans so if you have a family or a tablet you can put them on the plan. If you bring your own phone to AT&T you don't need to sign a contract, you just go month by month and can stop any time. It's a good way to try it out and see if you like their service.

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
PreJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2013, 07:00 AM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm sad to say that my wife's Pre3 back cover started cracking, too, just in the last few days. Seems that this is a common issue with this device and even happens if you handle it with great care (as my wife does) and don't manipulate on the back cover... that is sad. So I'll stay happily with me Veer, which did not evolve such cracks, yet...

I'll try to get a Pre3 from ebay, though, as backup for my wife.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2013, 10:59 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I just looked...

Straight Talk is still not offering AT&T compatible SIMS again. (They ceased a few months ago.) There is some sort of fight going on between ST and AT&T... .
WOW. i did not know this. that sux, as STalk was a great option for webOS users looking for a value option carrier.

isn't there one called RedPocket too? obviously a google search for ATT MVNO would bring up the options.

but still, wow. hearing this actually helps eliminate some remorse that i didn't revisit them when I had the Pre3's, and got fed up with T-Mo's spotty H+ coverage.