webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What if we create new WebOS device?
What if we create new WebOS device?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ggendel
  • 2 Post By Ottermatic

Old 06/06/2013, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Its sounds strange but give it a chance! What if we start something like kickstarter compaigh and collect for example 300 000 usd to create our new WebOS device? no matter which hardware it will be. Today there is plenty of offers like MTK (YES ITS POWERFULL ENOUGH FOR WEBOS) or similar.

Why not?
Stillsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2013, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillsmile View Post
Its sounds strange but give it a chance! What if we start something like kickstarter compaigh and collect for example 300 000 usd to create our new WebOS device? no matter which hardware it will be. Today there is plenty of offers like MTK (YES ITS POWERFULL ENOUGH FOR WEBOS) or similar.

Why not?
That is PIC plan for webos
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2013, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
That is PIC plan for webos
they are slow monkeys in making this real.
We need action! We need ecosystem like Tablet-phone with tons of app (yes, i agree that ACL will help that way,but its too slow)
Old 06/06/2013, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I doubt you'll be able to raise the full $300,000.... ~$50,000, yes, but past that point the interest will start to stagnate a bit.

The thing is that most people trust webOS Internals/Ports a whole lot more than they would an unknown company, so most everyone is inclined to wait for Ports to finish making OwOS compatible with Android drivers, after which a lot of brand-name hardware becomes available for webOS, as opposed to relying on Chinese Galaxy clones and whatever else...

Sorry to sound negative, it's just something that's been discussed a couple of times before and hit a dead end....
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2013, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's been toyed with numerous times in several threads - it's ultimately possible though, but there's probably little chance a relatively scrappy community (even compared to WP) could put together enough to make one. (and certify it, and manufacture it...)

but who knows, i'd love to be wrong
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2013, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

And what will you put on the device? We don't have (all) the webOS source code and even a monkey knows that OWO is far from useable.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2013, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
... We don't have (all) the webOS source code and even a monkey knows that OWO is far from useable.
I see this as the biggest problem. OpenWebOS misses a lot of things needed for a new WebOS device to be successful.
Finding a device is not the issue. There are a lot of open devices out there, maybe not of the best quality and maybe not the fastest, sleekest thingies, but a point to start from anyway.

But what to put on it? A halve assed OS, that misses basic things like telephony as well as the cool stuff like synergy? With no AppCatalog?

Sorry to say so, but HP left the WebOSers out hanging cold with that "Open Source" Project. OpenWebOS is like a house without painting, roof, electricity and plumbing. It's all doable, but too much work for anyone to care for.
Why?
Because companies who would have the ressources don't see the revenue in it. It's impossible to date a ROI on such a project (if there actually is an ROI).
And communities who DO have an interest in WebOS lack the ressources.

It's all very sad, but yes, I honestly am not waiting for WebOS to become ... well ... something more than a hobbyist toolbox.
Old 06/07/2013, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think the community would be fragmented about what device(s) to produce.

Phone or Tablet and features

For example, which cellular providers would be supported? This would easily splinter interest into camps and supporting them all would be a huge investment in engineering and legal agreements.

That's not to say that this isn't a great idea, but I'm not sure how to structure it to obtain enough interest.
Old 06/07/2013, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Anyway what if we will create a petition for LG?
Old 06/07/2013, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyway what if we will create a petition for LG?
There is one already
Old 06/07/2013, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
There is one already
where?
Old 06/07/2013, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

We need people to show off webos! Everyday i always show off my pre3 and veer.
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2013, 06:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
where?
Here:

https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2
Old 06/07/2013, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
It's been toyed with numerous times in several threads - it's ultimately possible though, but there's probably little chance a relatively scrappy community (even compared to WP) could put together enough to make one. (and certify it, and manufacture it...)

but who knows, i'd love to be wrong
Here is what I've thought about from time to time...

I really love the Pixi form factor, but it seriously needs more horsepower. So, what about designing a new mainboard for the Pixi, using the same radio board, keyboard, and screen?

When I consider this, I usually have two possible paths:

1) Reuse a processor from another webOS device, maybe the OMAP3630 from the Pre 2. Then reuse the 2.2.4 kernel and drivers.

Problems:

a) Forget getting a data sheet from TI for the 3630; for whatever reason, info for the comms parts is on lockdown. (3530? No problem.

b) Drivers for keyboard, screen, etc. may not be portable (I haven't dug in enough to know what kind of interface they're using).

2) Use a processor for which a) info is available, like maybe one of the ones on a BeagleBoard or other hobbyist board and/or b) for which the Linux kernel rev needed to run Open webOS is available.

Problems:

a) I don't think Open webOS contains any of the support for the gesture area (is that in the kernel mods that were done?).

b) As stated before, Open webOS doesn't even have a phone app.

I don't know enough about the software structure to make educated decisions, but I'm down for tackling the hardware side. I think reusing the existing comms board, screen, keyboard, cases, etc. helps significantly, and reverse engineering those bits (for instance, my understanding is that cellular parts just talk UART, which should be easy to sniff and reverse engineer) shouldn't be impossible. Other bits, like the battery charger circuit, can probably also be easily reused.

Anyway, just my looney delusions of grandeur.

OM
Ottermatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by treodoc755 and xandros9 like this.