webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Is open webos a COMPLETE os?
Is open webos a COMPLETE os?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By bearda
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 4 Post By eblade
  • 2 Post By eblade

Old 06/01/2013, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

We all know that because webOS is not designed for the specific hardware of an existing phone, it can't just be installed without porting.
My question is if webOS is complete in the sense that there is a hypothetical device that webOS can run on? in other words, if I could build a phone from any hardware parts i wanted, could i make a phone that runs webOS?
alonhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2013, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes.

But trying to future-proof Open webOS, HP chose to use the standard Linux kernel, so the type of mobile hardware that can run OWO straight up, without modification isn't here yet. It will ship with the Android version codenamed "Key Lime Pie", and you'll still have the usual difficulties with the incompatible graphics driver models.

If we were to rewrite the compositor to use the Android-style drivers, then this issue will be solved once and for all, with hardware-accelerated graphics being available on every device..
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: alonhzn
Old 06/01/2013, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Technically, yes. Open webOS is complete in the sense that Android Open Source Project is complete. It is complete, as in it is functional.

Realistically, no.There's A LOT that is missing. There are no Synergy connections other than IMAP email. There's no phone app, no camera app. no music app. etc. As we've seen with the Galaxy Nexus port job, there's a lot of tweaking that has to be done just to make it look right, let alone everything that has to be done to make the radios work, access the graphics chip, accelerometer, et al.

So yes, while you can take Open webOS and throw it onto a device that supports its open source drivers, don't expect it to be anything approaching a good experience without a mountain of work first.
Thanked by alonhzn, Vistaus, xandros9
Old 06/01/2013, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Derek.

I figured everyone knew that already, so i focused in on the hardware, kernel and driver situation.

The user-centric stuff will continue to stagnate until the usability situation is sorted out... because to make sure a mobile device performs well, the developer has to use it daily (that's how Apple's baseband engineer, Gray Powell lost a prototype iPhone 4 at the bar)... and no one can really stand a device with no hardware-accelerated video. Once that gets taken care of, working on other components will become more bearable.
Old 06/01/2013, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

The bare minimum is being able to make phone calls.
alonhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2013, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
The bare minimum is being able to make phone calls.
Then no, it isn't.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 06/05/2013, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

When I get time, I'll trawl the Ports site to see what's happening, but a few quick questions here:

Does the Android OSP come without a dialer and the other stuff? I assumed there was 'stock' that would work on the Nexus spec and then OEMs customise it for their H/W & UX tweaks.

If OwOS is so incomplete, is there any guess at the time scale (and in fact possibility) for completion? Months? Years? I ask because if HP don't fix the app catalogue, then legacy is basically circling the drain and users will likely go with it.

I mean no offense to the developers who are working for free in their spare time & hope they are making good progress, but the parade is already passing by and if the project is ever usable on the Galaxy Nexus, it may already be too late.
Preemptive is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 and Remy X like this.
Old 06/05/2013, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I've heard people say on #webos-ports that the telephony stack is actually functioning, and can be used from command line, which basically means that someone needs to wire it up to the places it needs to be wired to, and then a phone app either written or adapted.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, pgarcia, Preemptive and 1 others like this.
Thanked by Remy X, Rnp
Old 06/05/2013, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Eric

It sounds like the feature only needs about an hour's work then...
Old 06/06/2013, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

THAT I don't know. If it -does- work from the command line, I could make some horrifically ugly and very temporary hack to put together something that would "function". Basically rob the dialpad out of SynerGV and attach it to the command line whatever.

As far as actually wiring it to everywhere it -should- be wired inside webOS, I don't know if those parts are even included currently, and I know the official phone app isn't currently. (also the official phone app for 3.0.5 didn't directly make phone calls, however, it may be the exact same as the phone app that was in 2.2.4, so it might just be the fact that TouchPads didn't have phone transmitters that prevented it from trying to make actual phone calls)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by pgarcia and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 06/07/2013, 12:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
As far as actually wiring it to everywhere it -should- be wired inside webOS, I don't know if those parts are even included currently, and I know the official phone app isn't currently....
So there is always the possibility to set the device on fire and use a blanket to communicaty via smoke signs ...
That's probably what the devs at HP had in mind anyway.

[/irony]
Old 06/11/2013, 04:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Does anyone have any idea how much the licensing fees for Exchange ActiveSync would be to be paid to Microsoft? I assume this is a per device fee that would need to be paid?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 06/20/2013, 07:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Does anyone have any idea how much the licensing fees for Exchange ActiveSync would be to be paid to Microsoft? I assume this is a per device fee that would need to be paid?
Last I heard baseline was $100K for the first year, and per unit royalties from there after.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2013, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hmm that's steep :-(

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities