webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Code Ransom?
Code Ransom?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
  • 4 Post By Noremacam

Old 05/31/2013, 06:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

What do you guys think about hosting code ransoms for various features of Open Webos? In short we put money in different "pots" for different features/bug fixes, and when that bug is fixed and verified, the money is released to the developer(s) who implimented it.

I've ran Open WebOS from my nexus 7 tablet, and I realized that one of the bigger bugs was in the hardware acceleration of cards. While the multitasking interface is accelerated, the actual card contents are not and are painfully slow - slow enough to discourage spending time on it. Link to the bug is here:

Ports - Bug #231: Cards in the LunaSysMgr don't use hardware graphics acceleration - webOS Ports

What if we had a code ransom for getting cards accelerated using android graphics drivers+libhybris?

I don't know if that would make the work complete any faster(I know it's a real headache with the way webos does buffering), but it'd be a nice reward for those who are working on it, and a way to encourage our overworked volunteers.

Or perhaps code ransoms for synergy plugins? Like google, yahoo, or microsoft synergy plugins(email, contacts, calendar)?

I've been thinking about how successful the kickstarter was for running android apps on the touchpad, and wondering how else the community can contribute to the future of webOS. Since I, and most of us here, can't code, code ransoms seem like a good way to lure new developers and encourage the ones we have.

The potential downside could be that developers might not share code with each other, in hopes of getting the ransom all to themselves, but maybe we can think of a way around that.

Thoughts?
Noremacam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2013, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Did you check with WebOS Ports and WebOS Internals? They are working on this bug now and I thought made good progress.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2013, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Did you check with WebOS Ports and WebOS Internals? They are working on this bug now and I thought made good progress.
I linked to the bug in question in my original post, but that's just one example of something to do a code ransom for. The link could be decieving but it still looks as though it needs a lot of work.
Old 05/31/2013, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

not sure how stacks of cash would produce a working gfx driver any faster than normal, if it was possible the ports teams and various individuals would have it already, its not simple, and the only reason CM7/9/10 managed superb compatability so quick was because of several touchpads in the wild that were ready loaded with a native android from qualcomm.
Old 05/31/2013, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

If you've got a few hundred thousand running around, great.

But a hundred bucks here and there isn't going to draw much interest from the outside developer community to do much of anything, considering your typical contract OS developer worth their mettle makes about $125 per hour...and that's on the low-end.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2013, 04:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It still would be a nice thing for the future to have a system to say: "Ok that bug is critical for me, so I'll add some money into it...". HW acceleration is quite of obvious here... but there might be minor things in the future that most people don't care much about (i.e. the active devs ), but others do (i.e. people not able to fix them).
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked by renater, RumoredNow
Old 06/03/2013, 06:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
not sure how stacks of cash would produce a working gfx driver any faster than normal, if it was possible the ports teams and various individuals would have it already, its not simple, and the only reason CM7/9/10 managed superb compatability so quick was because of several touchpads in the wild that were ready loaded with a native android from qualcomm.
Actually the driver issue is partially bypassed due to libhybris which allows leveraging of android graphics drivers. However due to the differences in the way that webos/android does buffers, the android drivers can't accelerate the contents of cards... yet. Fixing up libhybris to utilize webos's graphic features would provide immediate benefit to nearly every port of WebOS from an android device.

Getting WebOS smooth and responsive is a huge deal that would not only make porting more viable, but also would make the devices more fun to develop on.
Liked by renater, daexpression, RumoredNow and 1 others like this.
Thanked by daexpression, Remy X

Tags
code ransom, open webos