webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG continues development for future generation of webOS
LG continues development for future generation of webOS
Like Tree49Likes

Old 08/15/2013, 12:14 AM   #41 (permalink)

well... any publicity whether good or bad is better then no publicity... I wonder if those phones iside were open webos ...would it have been the same....

but back to the topic....it's really now just wait and see with LG and webos. I love the OS, and right now am using 2 phones.. a Pre 3 (for calls, emails and a bit of surfing)..and the Samsung S3..for what's apps, social etc...hate the UI, its so unintuitive. Unfortunately ..it's really a no choice right now with the Webos not being updated with new Integration to various apps, and the slow breaking of old interfaces..

Come on ..LG..any phone with webos 3.0.5 is better then nothing now.. just release a damn phone with it.. lol...
I'd bite...
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2013, 07:14 AM   #42 (permalink)

I need a new fridge and a new TV ... come on LG

Did somebody seea current roadmap? The last thing a I can remember was from February...
nichtwirklich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2013, 10:39 AM   #43 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichtwirklich View Post
I need a new fridge and a new TV ... come on LG

Did somebody seea current roadmap? The last thing a I can remember was from February...
I've been bugging the guys at webOS team every couple of weeks for an update to the blog. They said things were in the works, something will be there soon, but so far nothing has been published... I asked again on 31st of July still nothing.....
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bluenote likes this.
Old 08/15/2013, 10:53 AM   #44 (permalink)

Things in works sounds like hopefully they will have some news to report.

**!!! I read the security of smart tvs was crappy-basically someone can hack into the camera and audio recording without people knowing it--grrr.

Shouldn't be surprised I guess-the NY Times? article said your phone can secretly record even when it is "off"--I guess "off" no longer means "off"--it just means idle.

If not a webOS tv, I would consider a webOS blender--I can read and reply to twitter while dismembering the veggies...
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2013, 11:57 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
**!!! I read the security of smart tvs was crappy-basically someone can hack into the camera and audio recording without people knowing it--grrr.
I laughed as senator Schumer hypocritically addressed that last week. Its funny how they would selectively posture and pretend to seek their constituents' interests but then turn a blind eye to similar abuses by the executive branch or defense/intelligence agencies. Impotent saps! They get absolutely no respect.

My advice is to get into the habit of covering your cameras (phones, tablets, TVs, laptops, LCDs). In your audio settings turn the mic recording levels down in addition to muting them.

Quote:
Shouldn't be surprised I guess-the NY Times? article said your phone can secretly record even when it is "off"--I guess "off" no longer means "off"--it just means idle.
Yes, Newsweek ran another about 3 years ago titled 'The Snitch in Your Pocket.' I believe this goes back to the Telecommunications Act of 1996; its by design and that is what the lame duck Schumer types wont dare touch. They are the ones who foolishly passed these sweeping violations - hundreds and thousands of pages - without having read them.

The above, BTW, is one of the reasons I'd never buy a phone without a removable battery.

These days, all of your devices basically do a 'soft off'. Its like standby on a TV or a deep C state sleep on a PC. Unless you fully cut the power source, they sit there and await a command - yours or that of your spy. The fact that these devices can communicate w/ each other (maybe on a rudimentary level now) and the emerging smart grids are the real cause for alarm. Ex CIA chief Petraeus stated last year that they'll spy on you through your appliances (TV, toaster, washer, etc.). The hordes today are blissfully accepting the i this and the Android that; the location services and the smart whatever. Every waking moment is spent on a social network w/o a thought as to whats really happening. Oh well!!

Oh! well!

Back on topic

As much as I'd love to see a revival of our beloved OS, smart TVs are not of any interest to me right now (a bezel-free 4k gaming screen maybe). Its a start though, and I hope LG can turn it into something successful.

Last edited by p41m3r; 08/15/2013 at 12:03 PM.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2013, 08:04 PM   #46 (permalink)

I would hate to see how LG Webos event is going to be
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2013, 08:33 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
I

The above, BTW, is one of the reasons I'd never buy a phone without a removable battery.

These days, all of your devices basically do a 'soft off'. Its like standby on a TV or a deep C state sleep on a PC. Unless you fully cut the power source, they sit there and await a command - yours or that of your spy. The fact that these devices can communicate w/ each other (maybe on a rudimentary level now) and the emerging smart grids are the real cause for alarm. Ex CIA chief Petraeus stated last year that they'll spy on you through your appliances (TV, toaster, washer, etc.). The hordes today are blissfully accepting the i this and the Android that; the location services and the smart whatever. Every waking moment is spent on a social network w/o a thought as to whats really happening. Oh well!!

Oh! well!

Back on topic

As much as I'd love to see a revival of our beloved OS, smart TVs are not of any interest to me right now (a bezel-free 4k gaming screen maybe). Its a start though, and I hope LG can turn it into something successful.
A chip could be put into the battery itself, yes?
Old 08/15/2013, 09:10 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
[...]
The machine is able to switch between various levels of sleep mode (ACPI states S1, S2 and S3)* depending on the kernel configuration, or wake on but keep the screen and various indicator lights off, depending on the skills of whoever has taken over it...

*see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...e#Power_states

Quote:
If not a webOS tv, I would consider a webOS blender--I can read and reply to twitter while dismembering the veggies...
Dismantling king crabs is much more fun, seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
[...]

Yummm!

Quote:
Then your battery will need its own SIM card, unless it's a CDMA battery
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2013, 01:54 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Dont give em any ideas, man!
Honestly, I doubt we're far from that. These chips are dime a dozen and are placed in just about everything - even cheap children's toys. According to Petraeus, in the near future they will know where you are just about any time of day, cell phone or no cell phone (lookup Total Information Awareness). The microwave will report you over the smart grid that your utilities run on or your smart TV, washer or fridge will be controlled over the net.

In the above situation the battery would be the least of your worries.

Fun times are ahead! Orwellian dystopia has met advanced techno nightmare.
I wonder what my Julia will look like
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2013, 06:12 PM   #50 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancell View Post
I just cant help but wonder what LG's plans are. I hope they are doing things right and developing webOS to a state that is ready to roll. That story about LG and tv's was a long time ago. If they haven't announced anything yet, it also makes me wonder if they pulled the plug on everything. As a webOS user since day 1, I can't help but be familiar with bad news.

At this point its hard to say what could happen. I know if a webOS tv comes out I'd be very interested, but not sure if I could afford it financially to buy a tv if it comes out ever at a top dollar price. I have gotten so involved in android with apps & tablets now, it would be hard to go back to webOS full time unless it really took off. I am loving my Chromecast and all the support android has. I just wish webOS could have made it there, and I hope LG plans on giving it a shot down the road again.
LG Silicon Valley Lab
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 08/23/2013, 07:51 PM   #51 (permalink)

It would be great if webos ports times their update news in the same timeframe that Phoenix gets ACL up.
Then all the visitors learning about android on the touchpad can easily grasp also that webos ports is moving steadily forward with openwebOS.
Old 09/07/2013, 01:14 AM   #52 (permalink)

A bunch of new webOS positions on the LGSVL site. Here is some verbiage from one that talks about webOS core apps. Others talk about Enyo HTML5 apps and still another talks about a 10 foot UX (Sr. Visual Designer | LG Silicon Valley Lab) so it looks like we are still at the place where webOS powers the tv and the HTML5 apps communicate with all the iOS/android mobile devices that might interface with the tv. Oh well, at least webOS is still alive, and perhaps someday LGSVL would branch it to mobile devices with webOS ports keeping it alive on mobile in the meantime.

By acquiring webOS and its core team LG is demonstrating their commitment to the web and open standards as the building blocks for this new platform. SVL stands at the intersection of consumer web, consumer devices and content - providing a vision of a world where content and innovation are accessible from everywhere and the web is a first class citizen on any device.

The mission of our lab is to create a pole of software innovation inside a hardware-driven company such as LG. We focus on complex problems around user experience and technologies that are directly applicable to products in the very near future...

LG Silicon Valley Lab is looking for an extremely talented and motivated individual to lead the webOS Core Applications group. In this role, you will be responsible for building and mentoring the team and delivering on the vision of the platform for Applications. You will leverage multi-site opportunities to assemble talent and balance effectiveness of your organization. You will participate to the definition of the roadmap, manage resources and drive execution.
Mobile Software Manager - Applications | LG Silicon Valley Lab
Old 09/07/2013, 09:29 AM   #53 (permalink)

I wonder why the havent announced anything yet. The official page for openwebos hasn't been updated for months...
Old 09/07/2013, 09:42 PM   #54 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

LG Electronics Acquires webOS from HP to Enhance Smart TV | LG USA

looks like an announcement to me... do you expect them to keep the world updated on a per minute basis as to what's happening?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2013, 04:26 AM   #55 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
LG Electronics Acquires webOS from HP to Enhance Smart TV | LG USA

looks like an announcement to me... do you expect them to keep the world updated on a per minute basis as to what's happening?
Not per minute but a blog update about all the promised bits for Open webOS (you know which they are, if not check the blog updates from October, November and December last year). Most of these haven't been delivered to the public GitHub repo's.... I bug Roy every month, but I guess you guys are under NDA because nothing is coming to the blog even though I get the feeling there's stuff to share :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/12/2013 at 03:32 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2013, 05:34 AM   #56 (permalink)

Do you think that the tv would manage pairing with a webos phone, allowing calls, messaging and so? Like a giant touchpad ...

Last edited by Wayenberg; 09/14/2013 at 07:05 AM.
Wayenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MAMISHO likes this.
Old 09/12/2013, 01:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

HTML5DevConf April 2013: Interview with Gray Norton [Enyo]

came across this brief interview ....

HTML5DevConf April 2013: Interview with Gray Norton [Enyo] - YouTube
gderoiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2013, 03:25 PM   #58 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Well at least next HTML5conf in October is sponsored by "ENYO sponsored by LG" and Roy Sutton has an Enyo session.

HTML5 Developer Conference | October 22 & 23, 2013 | San Francisco, CA || Speakers

Sad thing is they won't put coding energy into replacing webOS mojo-Code like mojomail-eas or synergy as it won't be needed on TVs. Hopefully at least we get some Mediaplayer or dlna clients
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2013, 05:16 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Well at least next HTML5conf in October is sponsored by "ENYO sponsored by LG" and Roy Sutton has an Enyo session.

HTML5 Developer Conference | October 22 & 23, 2013 | San Francisco, CA || Speakers

Sad thing is they won't put coding energy into replacing webOS mojo-Code like mojomail-eas or synergy as it won't be needed on TVs. Hopefully at least we get some Mediaplayer or dlna clients
Why not? LG TVs have Skype, EMail, Facebook, Twitter ... so they need a EMail app and any kind of contacts management.
nichtwirklich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2013, 04:42 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post

They're not looking at the TV as a potential Media / Communication Center... which is unfortunate. In the future, I would see a convergence of computer, TV, phone, music, video in one device but the device is shared across a house - like phone....

If the same contacts that we have on our phone can be shared because of synergy into our Web connected TV...would we be able to send/ receive calls on the TV- have a camera to telecon on TV -- while in another 'window' / 'tab' see the news or watch stocks? ...etc..why not?...they should put more thought into synergy.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lg webos, open webos