webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG continues development for future generation of webOS
LG continues development for future generation of webOS
Like Tree49Likes

Old 06/01/2013, 10:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMISHO View Post
hey, one toaster, coffee machine, juice extractor iodine into one and to do with webOS multitasking: D

pero ahora ubuntu
Ubuntu 13.4 on Hp touchpad
Iodine?

That must be the autocorrect talking. (i disabled mine a long time ago)
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2013, 03:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Yes, LG's washing machines are quite advanced but what the heck would you do with a card based interface on a washing machine???
We do communications engineering in the universities, and one of the features they offer students in the dorms these days is to send you a text when your load is done (gets more use out of the machine, lets you go sit outdoors and study while it's running and keeps you from forgetting and coming back to find your wash tossed on the floor because someone else needed the machine).

No need for this at home with my small household, but what I would make use of is a delayed start feature that was simple to use. I often come home late between trips and need to make a wash run in the middle of the night so it will be ready for the dryer while I am getting things together in the a.m. I live in an old neighborhood with zero lot line homes built like townhouses - my outside wall is common with my neighbors. I know they and my family would appreciate if could push running the washer off until later when they were already up.

Another use is that my home has a smart electric meter and my utility bill is time of day usage sensitive. I got this plan as I have a plug-in hybrid car and am offered vastly cheaper rates for middle of the night usage. Someone else with this same plan might want to load the machine and deliberately delay the start until midnight when their rates dropped (i.e. a personal approach to 'Smart Grid').

Most appliances that have a delayed start function (I have coffee grinder/makers and a bread machine that do this) have a terrible user interface. The Pre's simply Clock/Alarm app, with it's minimalist sensibilities is lightyears ahead.

A touchscreen LCD's cost is proportional to size. If it weren't you could a put a large screen on every appliance with all possible features exposed on on massive menu - no cards required. The beauty of the WebOS card interface is it works well on a small screen, and it focuses the user's on just what they need to pay attention to now. I agree and appreciate that something like the delayed start function might initially only require two cards, but as we move to smartgrid, devices are going to need to acquire the ability to interact with their operators in new ways. The commercial building sector is now full of devices with complex user interfaces that used to require nothing more than a screwdriver (have a look at a modern BMS system, fire alarm system or even the elevator controls in even a medium size building).

What LG is likely doing is using the WebOS to replace the horrible user interface found in most web enabled SmartTV/blueray players and their remotes. Even if that's all they accomplish, I laud them for it.
PeterMacSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, gcstith, sledge007 and 3 others like this.
Thanked by Rnp, RumoredNow
Old 07/23/2013, 06:15 AM   #23 (permalink)

Y'know what they should do, they should give webOS to a company that does all sorts of different things so they can put webOS everywhere. Oh, wait...
fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by purplepansy and RumoredNow like this.
Old 07/25/2013, 10:18 AM   #24 (permalink)

I wish Samsung bought webos and not LG. They'd probably actually do something with it.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 07/25/2013, 09:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Doing things takes time. Would you want Webos 3 on new things?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 07/26/2013, 04:40 AM   #26 (permalink)

I hope I can hurry up the moment coming
webmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2013, 02:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
I wish Samsung bought webos and not LG. They'd probably actually do something with it.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
You mean the same Samsung that scores extremely high with their Android devices and spends the rest of their time on developing yet-another-wannabe-OS called Tizen?

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 08/02/2013, 12:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

Our french site has published this link from LG's Silicon Valley Lab some days ago

http://lgsvl.com/

What do you think of this?

"webOS

The next generation, web-centric platform built to run on a wide range of form factors. It is a proven operating system that enables users to deliver the same seamless and intuitive interactions everywhere. There are exciting developments in the works and we'll keep you posted."
Wayenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, renater, geekpeter and 2 others like this.
Old 08/02/2013, 11:14 AM   #29 (permalink)

I didn't know anything was available from LG besides the initial press release. Thanks for posting about LG Silicon Valley Lab! They list a bunch of related software development job positions there. That implies big spending. The apparent breadth of their work is encouraging!
3snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by creepycat likes this.
Old 08/02/2013, 11:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayenberg View Post
Our french site has published this link from LG's Silicon Valley Lab some days ago

LG Silicon Valley Lab

What do you think of this?

"webOS

The next generation, web-centric platform built to run on a wide range of form factors. It is a proven operating system that enables users to deliver the same seamless and intuitive interactions everywhere. There are exciting developments in the works and we'll keep you posted."
Glad the word is spreading. We've had some discussion on this subject already: LG Silicon Valley Lab < Existing Thread Title.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 04:46 PM   #31 (permalink)

With Blackberry thinking (again) about a sale, its unlikely that LG would put webOS on a phone right now. They can put it on tvs (washing machines etc) and keep it viable in that way. When the technology has advanced to make web-apps run smoothly on all mobile devices, then companies will flock to one app for all devices and OS will just be a matter of taste (similar to mac and windows now for consumers)--then they can safely bring webOS back.

In the meantime, it looks like webOS ports is making good progress towards a phone or tablet device. I hate to say it but in some ways webOS may be ahead of Blackberry 10 unless a buyer steps up to fund it.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 04:57 PM   #32 (permalink)

Well, if LG finds out how to solve the video acceleration issue for its webos tv's, it will be a great step ahead for the others devices...
Too bad for Blackberry. Will we live in a world of slabphones of two kinds only...
Wayenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2013, 08:45 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayenberg View Post
Well, if LG finds out how to solve the video acceleration issue for its webos tv's, it will be a great step ahead for the others devices...
Too bad for Blackberry. Will we live in a world of slabphones of two kinds only...

LG is writing their own drivers for their own hardware that they will use in creating their own TVs... So they cannot possibly have this problem. No self-respecting multinational corporation would allow itself to have this kind of problem

It's webOS Ports that's having this problem and is halfway into solving it...

**is baffled**

Last edited by Remy X; 08/12/2013 at 09:09 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mrmarquis9 likes this.
Old 08/12/2013, 08:58 PM   #34 (permalink)

In the end webos internals is a better company than LG or HP. So what if they may not have all the technicians like LG, webos internals cares about the community and are working there butts off to make us happy. If i was bill gates i would give them all my money.
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 09:14 AM   #35 (permalink)

I just cant help but wonder what LG's plans are. I hope they are doing things right and developing webOS to a state that is ready to roll. That story about LG and tv's was a long time ago. If they haven't announced anything yet, it also makes me wonder if they pulled the plug on everything. As a webOS user since day 1, I can't help but be familiar with bad news.

At this point its hard to say what could happen. I know if a webOS tv comes out I'd be very interested, but not sure if I could afford it financially to buy a tv if it comes out ever at a top dollar price. I have gotten so involved in android with apps & tablets now, it would be hard to go back to webOS full time unless it really took off. I am loving my Chromecast and all the support android has. I just wish webOS could have made it there, and I hope LG plans on giving it a shot down the road again.
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 08/13/2013, 09:49 AM   #36 (permalink)

BBC News - Twenty hurt at LG event as promotional stunt goes wrong

tad unfortunate, not LG's fault ofc, gotta wonder about the mentality of some people tho.
Old 08/13/2013, 10:24 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

tad unfortunate, not LG's fault ofc, gotta wonder about the mentality of some people tho.
Wow... someone in marketing didn't think that one all the way through!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 12:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
Rnp

Photos about event:

Best Regards...
Old 08/13/2013, 12:56 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Photos about event:

Click to view quoted image

Best Regards...
lol
Old 08/13/2013, 12:57 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

dear god what if it was in America with actual guns!

Then what if it was in Florida! Can you say "Stand Your Ground"?
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, geekpeter and RumoredNow like this.

Tags
lg webos, open webos