webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG trying moving away from Android smartphones, not looking at webOS (WTF?)
LG trying moving away from Android smartphones, not looking at webOS (WTF?)
Like Tree15Likes

Old 05/28/2013, 05:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

So apparently LG doesn't want to bet its future on one company (Google) and is in the process of moving away from Android. And they aren't interested in webOS, but in FirefoxOS and Ubuntu phone instead.

Who was the best suitor for Palm? HTC.

LG not working on a new Nexus device, teases tablet and non-Android smartphone (update) | The Verge
njitipairote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2013, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

They aren't even interested in WP8, which is fine. But they are interested in OSes inferior and less relevant than webOS like FirefoxOS.
njitipairote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2013, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Discussed here. The phone division may be separate from the tv division (apparently the LG tv division makes it own chip). The phone division may want to jump on someone else's train. Still, the news that they want to move away from android is interesting; the fact that they own webOS is good and are developing it is good also. I hope Phoenix succeeds in porting the newest version of android on ACL to webOS.

LG turning to Firefox OS for developing markets, whither webOS? | webOS Nation
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2013, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njitipairote View Post
... But they are interested in OSes inferior and less relevant than webOS like FirefoxOS.
Erm ...

Firefox OS has providers, hardware, etc ...
WebOS has nothing.

What makes you think WebOS as a platform with a looser image from the past and no forseeable future is more relevant?

And I won't even start about Ubuntu...
Old 05/28/2013, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Since we want to do using smartphones based on another mobile OS. Meaning" It is still unclear to what system exactly is and is not known when the first of these devices have to come on the market. However, Kim denied that the purchased LG WebOS will use for its mobile phones. It would also not be a proprietary system developed by LG, said Kim. Probably it is a Firefox phone, as previously already came out.
LG gaat telefoons uitbrengen op basis van een derde platform - Nieuwsbericht - All About Phones

I should say that the above is from the source article and translated. It's a bit clearer since it actually mentions webOS.

Last edited by Isandunk; 05/28/2013 at 07:42 AM.
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2013, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

any news of LG doing anything with any phone/tablet OS unfortunatly now has little to nothing to do with webOS, webOS is an asset their TV division aquired for their televisions and not the mobile market, their mobile and tv divisions will likely be totally seperate entities.

This should be no surprise seeing as thats how HP and doubtless many other companies also work, it was noted in the various articles written about HP after the aftermath of the apothaclypse that HP's many sub divisions were more like competing infighting enemies rather than being friendly co-operative and resource sharing.

we should probably stop the "what about webOS" threads whenever their mobile divisions announce new hardware/OS's because they arent the ones who have or wanted webOS.

With LG, webOS's "future" is either as a diluted hidden TV component, some useful patents to smack in other peoples faces if/when required or if lucky an actual updated OS which could retain its current "look/feel/experience" but being restricted to a television for home entertainment purposes.

Hell even if they got some native apps in the form of games/social media they could potentially have a TV which is just as capable as any android tablet that many use for games, netflix, face(palm)book and the likes, and many these days are preferring to use or play tablet type apps rather than big name stuff on a console.

If we want to pin any hopes on webOS as a mobile OS then its probably best to pin your hopes on the ports team(s) efforts because the LG solution is only for TV's, it has not been implied any other way, its just wishful thinking on some peoples parts that asume the opposite.
Old 05/28/2013, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

No WP8 interest isn't fine imho
although i thought their WP7's were ugly

If I were LG, i'm not sure if i would even consider it, not to be a downer :/
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2013, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

The FireFox deal was inked quite some time ago...

There is a lot of loose speculation in that article that should not be taken as LG decisions already made.

This appears to be a quote and a paraphrase from LG's European VP:
Quote:
Looking further down the line, LG wants to reduce its dependance on other companies. Noting that "the current duopoly of Google and Apple is not healthy for the market," Kim said his company would focus on bringing devices running other platforms to the market. It doesn't plan on developing its own OS,
And this is something the author spun out on his own and appears to be made up entirely from the cobwebs in his head:
Quote:
so Kim's comments could be related to LG's commitment to produce phones running Mozilla's Firefox OS, or perhaps it will look to another open-source effort like Tizen or Ubuntu.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 05/28/2013, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
So apparently LG doesn't want to bet its future on one company (Google) and is in the process of moving away from Android. And they aren't interested in webOS, but in FirefoxOS and Ubuntu phone instead.

Who was the best suitor for Palm? HTC.

LG not working on a new Nexus device, teases tablet and non-Android smartphone (update) | The Verge

The article quoted is addressing Mobiles and never actually mentions webOS as a disinteresting alternative for LG TVs!

What are the chances of LGs webOS Dev team itself later insisting, internally, that LG also expand the OS to their Mobile Devices?

Quite high, I would say!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus and RumoredNow like this.
Old 05/28/2013, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
They aren't even interested in WP8, which is fine. But they are interested in OSes inferior and less relevant than webOS like FirefoxOS.
Wrong. They never said they aren't interested in WP. In fact, they had one time a WP7 device. And what they said about WP8 was actually that they don't wanna use it UNTIL there is a bigger market.

LG Will Build Windows Phone 8 Phones ‘When There’s A Significant Market For It’ | Ubergizmo
“When there’s a significant market for it, we will be on board.”

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2013, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
What makes you think WebOS as a platform with a looser image from the past and no forseeable future is more relevant?
Yet an image has leaked of an LG webOS device:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10746979...ts/MxRYuYTtv3U

Btw, Ubuntu Touch also has hardware partners so your Ubuntu claim is moot.

Old 05/28/2013, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post

Leaked from where? Looks like a concept rendition...

Didn't this used to be YOUR avatar here?

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, dignitary, Isandunk and 2 others like this.
Thanked by dignitary, jrb363
Old 05/28/2013, 03:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Leaked from where? Looks like a concept rendition...

Didn't this used to be YOUR avatar here?
Click to view quoted image
looks like some1 just bunged a webOS screenshot over the top of an LG phone, are there any readable articles as opposed to screenshots?

NOTE: in fact, 30seconds work and my own "fake" LG webOS phone :|
Attached Images
File Type: png fastobviousfake.png (96.5 KB, 46 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by geekpeter; 05/28/2013 at 03:32 PM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 and dignitary like this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 05/28/2013, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There's no good reason to believe that that shot is actually real, since it looks like a promo shot of a phone, with a webOS screenshot on it. It would seem pretty unlikely that even if LG is actively developing something at this time, that they would have someone post a pic of it to Google+ and Twitter. Add to it that that screenshot looks very much like v2, and not v3 or Open webOS, and I think that pretty much nail-in-the-coffins it.

I could however be completely wrong, though.

I'd like to be wrong. :P
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Choorp likes this.
Thanked By: Choorp
Old 05/28/2013, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Rumorednow: I dunno, maybe he works for LG? Images of new phones get leaked all the time, even by employees. As for the avatar: the anime character on that avatar is Kousaka from the anime Genshiken. He was one of the main characters and it was a really popular anime so there are plenty of pictures/avatars of his face floating around the web. But I gotta say I was actually suprised to see some random person like the one providing the screenshot using his face, maybe he's an anime fan too?

@eblade: It might be true yeah. But don't forget that sometimes promotional images leak (look for example at the new leaked photo of the S4 Mini which comes from a promotional ad) so it could very well be a legit leak. But who knows.
Btw, they also incorporated 2.x so maybe they're launching a phone with 2.x while the team irons out the 3.x issues? Because 3.x has issues on phones that were never ironed out (which you can read in the Windsornot article). But again: who knows. We don't know what they're working on or what they aren't working on.
Btw: who says it's leaked to Google+? I stumbled upon it because I'm following al webOS communities on Google+ but I dunno what the source of that image is. Maybe it was leaked somewhere, then removed and this guy had saved it and decided to leak it to Google+ and Twitter?

Last edited by Vistaus; 05/28/2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05/28/2013, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

This week in Sunnyvale...

https://jobs-lgeusa.icims.com/jobs/s...us=5&searchZip

Senior Manager, Program Management US-CA-Sunnyvale 5/24/2013

I notice a lot of jobs still listed on here... hopefully that just means they haven't cleaned them up and not that there's no interested in working for LG/webOS... eek

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2013, 04:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Would be nice if LG reliazed the synergy effects of using webOS in both TV and other devices.

Touch to share between TV and tablet/phones would be cool.
Just tap the phone on the TV to pair them and be able to stream music and video without the need of an extra device as in the case of AppleTV.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 05/28/2013, 04:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
This week in Sunnyvale...

https://jobs-lgeusa.icims.com/jobs/s...us=5&searchZip

Senior Manager, Program Management US-CA-Sunnyvale 5/24/2013

I notice a lot of jobs still listed on here... hopefully that just means they haven't cleaned them up and not that there's no interested in working for LG/webOS... eek
It does list 2 jobs for webOS:

https://jobs-lgeusa.icims.com/jobs/2...-developer/job
https://jobs-lgeusa.icims.com/jobs/2...eer,-webos/job

Old 05/29/2013, 12:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Want me to make a picture, where WebOS runs on a Galaxy S4? I totally can do that.

Quote:
I guess you didn't understand me. I don't start arguing about Ubuntu as it is by way more relevant to the market than WebOS ever was. That was my answer to the claim of the OP, that FirefoxOS and Ubuntu are in some way less relevant and/or inferior, which is an opinion I do not share for obvious reasons.

Old 05/29/2013, 02:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
cgk

Desperate stuff - doing a bad photo-shop and then claiming to "discover" it.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote