webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > status of Open webOS?
status of Open webOS?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 3 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By gespy
  • 3 Post By VasTheGreek

Old 05/25/2013, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

what is a status of open webOS? I see that all site is now "sponsored" by LG. Who is de facto maintainer of open webOS - LG or HP? When i browse code contributors on github I see palm, hp an lg domains in contributors email addresses. So, what is happening? For me it seems like LG took care about open webOS although it's not legally obliged.
Old 05/25/2013, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
what is a status of open webOS? I see that all site is now "sponsored" by LG. Who is de facto maintainer of open webOS - LG or HP? When i browse code contributors on github I see palm, hp an lg domains in contributors email addresses. So, what is happening? For me it seems like LG took care about open webOS although it's not legally obliged.
Well, far as sponsorship goes, LG got all the source code, etc, in the buyout. That includes the source, the websites and the software engineers. All HP kept was the rights to existing hardware, those customers, a handful of engineers and the web services parts as far as I know (hence the current root certificate questions).
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked by sshaka, Vistaus
Old 05/25/2013, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Well, far as sponsorship goes, LG got all the source code, etc, in the buyout. That includes the source, the websites and the software engineers. All HP kept was the rights to existing hardware, those customers, a handful of engineers and the web services parts as far as I know (hence the current root certificate questions).
Well, LG took webOS but OpenWebOS is developed by Gram which is now a subsidiary of LG AFAIK.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sshaka
Old 05/25/2013, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

So, LG is new official foster home for OWO. I thought it's still under HP custody.
Old 05/25/2013, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I believe there will be a very concrete answer about this within the next few weeks.

The short version of it, though, is what others have said: LG purchased webOS and all the engineers, and left HP with the other half.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus, chalx and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by ananimus, chalx, RumoredNow
Old 05/25/2013, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Well, LG took webOS but OpenWebOS is developed by Gram which is now a subsidiary of LG AFAIK.
There is nothing like "Gram" anymore. AFAIK - it was just an idea in the past.
Yes, LG took webOS - but HP has full rights to use webOS - whatever LG makes out of it. AFAIK.
HP still have some developers working on Enyo/Ares related topics too ..
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ananimus
Old 05/25/2013, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
There is nothing like "Gram" anymore. AFAIK - it was just an idea in the past.
Yes, LG took webOS - but HP has full rights to use webOS - whatever LG makes out of it. AFAIK.
HP still have some developers working on Enyo/Ares related topics too ..
You're right.

Ares all in 1 Installer - Enyo
"Palm + Gram are no more. The core Enyo team is now part of the LG Silicon Valley Labs (which bought most of webOS device software from HP), while part of the Ares team are with HP out of Grenoble, France and reporting into the former webOS cloud services organization."

Also:
"Nope, both LG and HP have engineers working on Ares 2 and it's very much still in development."

And:
"No, gram was a brand that was going to be used for the organization that ran Open webOS, but it's on hold for now, as most of that group is now part of LG Silicon Valley Labs."

(unwiredben worked or works for the webOS team)

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by ananimus, Remy X, sshaka, xandros9
Old 05/25/2013, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
I believe there will be a very concrete answer about this within the next few weeks.
An interesting hint...

So we can have fun in those weeks speculating on that answer and what it might mean. I'd start the ball rolling if I had the slightest idea, but I don't!
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/27/2013, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post

Is this a guess or an insider info?
And has it got something to do with the expiring root certificate?
Old 05/27/2013, 03:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Is this a guess or an insider info?
And has it got something to do with the expiring root certificate?
eblade worked for HP in the past on webOS, now transitioned to LG
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Thanked by chalx, RumoredNow
Old 05/28/2013, 01:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The root certificate issue is entirely different, and Enda is the authority on information for that, unless he points to someone else.

(I guess I couldn't keep that a completely unguarded secret forever, eh Herrie? Until you said that, only people who pay attention to me knew :P )
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2013, 01:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
eblade worked for HP in the past on webOS, now transitioned to LG
I read this on a Dutch news site:

Google Vertalen

Wil it be the LG WebOS phone?
gespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by renater likes this.
Thanked By: renater
Old 05/28/2013, 01:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
(I guess I couldn't keep that a completely unguarded secret forever, eh Herrie? Until you said that, only people who pay attention to me knew :P )
Sorry I spilled the beans LOL Not very difficult to see if you just Google your name, check LinkedIn or see who's actively doing commits on the Open webOS GitHub
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2013, 02:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespy View Post
I read this on a Dutch news site:

Google Vertalen

Wil it be the LG WebOS phone?
Nice catch. LG introducing a new smartphone OS beside Android and IOS and it's not Windows. The guy actually says that is something like Tizen or Firefox, but basically implying it's not those. No dates for the phone unfortunately. That's two hints in a few days having LG announcing/releasing something possibly for webOS. Exciting times ahead.

Edit: just read the other thread here: LG trying moving away from Android smartphones, not looking at webOS (WTF?) and webOS Status Report

Edit2: I should read other threads first before posting :-(

Last edited by renater; 05/29/2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Changed LG releasing somthg LG to webOS and link to other relevant thread
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2013, 03:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Please LG Please !!!!!!!!!!
VasTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by milkman, Atheist and Vistaus like this.