Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 3 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By gespy
  • 3 Post By VasTheGreek
  1.    #1  
    what is a status of open webOS? I see that all site is now "sponsored" by LG. Who is de facto maintainer of open webOS - LG or HP? When i browse code contributors on github I see palm, hp an lg domains in contributors email addresses. So, what is happening? For me it seems like LG took care about open webOS although it's not legally obliged.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    what is a status of open webOS? I see that all site is now "sponsored" by LG. Who is de facto maintainer of open webOS - LG or HP? When i browse code contributors on github I see palm, hp an lg domains in contributors email addresses. So, what is happening? For me it seems like LG took care about open webOS although it's not legally obliged.
    Well, far as sponsorship goes, LG got all the source code, etc, in the buyout. That includes the source, the websites and the software engineers. All HP kept was the rights to existing hardware, those customers, a handful of engineers and the web services parts as far as I know (hence the current root certificate questions).
    Remy X likes this.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Well, far as sponsorship goes, LG got all the source code, etc, in the buyout. That includes the source, the websites and the software engineers. All HP kept was the rights to existing hardware, those customers, a handful of engineers and the web services parts as far as I know (hence the current root certificate questions).
    Well, LG took webOS but OpenWebOS is developed by Gram which is now a subsidiary of LG AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
  4.    #4  
    So, LG is new official foster home for OWO. I thought it's still under HP custody.
  5. #5  
    I believe there will be a very concrete answer about this within the next few weeks.

    The short version of it, though, is what others have said: LG purchased webOS and all the engineers, and left HP with the other half.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    ananimus, chalx and RumoredNow like this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Well, LG took webOS but OpenWebOS is developed by Gram which is now a subsidiary of LG AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    There is nothing like "Gram" anymore. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $it$ $was$ $just$ $an$ $idea$ $in$ $the$ $past$.
    Yes, LG took webOS - but HP has full rights to use webOS - whatever LG makes out of it. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    HP still have some developers working on Enyo/Ares related topics too ..
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    There is nothing like "Gram" anymore. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $it$ $was$ $just$ $an$ $idea$ $in$ $the$ $past$.
    Yes, LG took webOS - but HP has full rights to use webOS - whatever LG makes out of it. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    HP still have some developers working on Enyo/Ares related topics too ..
    You're right.

    Ares all in 1 Installer - Enyo
    "Palm + Gram are no more. The core Enyo team is now part of the LG Silicon Valley Labs (which bought most of webOS device software from HP), while part of the Ares team are with HP out of Grenoble, France and reporting into the former webOS cloud services organization."

    Also:
    "Nope, both LG and HP have engineers working on Ares 2 and it's very much still in development."

    And:
    "No, gram was a brand that was going to be used for the organization that ran Open webOS, but it's on hold for now, as most of that group is now part of LG Silicon Valley Labs."

    (unwiredben worked or works for the webOS team)
  8. #8  
    I believe there will be a very concrete answer about this within the next few weeks.
    An interesting hint...

    So we can have fun in those weeks speculating on that answer and what it might mean. I'd start the ball rolling if I had the slightest idea, but I don't!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I believe there will be a very concrete answer about this within the next few weeks.

    ...
    Is this a guess or an insider info?
    And has it got something to do with the expiring root certificate?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Is this a guess or an insider info?
    And has it got something to do with the expiring root certificate?
    eblade worked for HP in the past on webOS, now transitioned to LG
    Vistaus likes this.
  11. #11  
    The root certificate issue is entirely different, and Enda is the authority on information for that, unless he points to someone else.

    (I guess I couldn't keep that a completely unguarded secret forever, eh Herrie? Until you said that, only people who pay attention to me knew :P )
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    eblade worked for HP in the past on webOS, now transitioned to LG
    I read this on a Dutch news site:

    Google Vertalen

    Wil it be the LG WebOS phone?
    renater likes this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ....
    (I guess I couldn't keep that a completely unguarded secret forever, eh Herrie? Until you said that, only people who pay attention to me knew :P )
    Sorry I spilled the beans LOL Not very difficult to see if you just Google your name, check LinkedIn or see who's actively doing commits on the Open webOS GitHub
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gespy View Post
    I read this on a Dutch news site:

    Google Vertalen

    Wil it be the LG WebOS phone?
    Nice catch. LG introducing a new smartphone OS beside Android and IOS and it's not Windows. The guy actually says that is something like Tizen or Firefox, but basically implying it's not those. No dates for the phone unfortunately. That's two hints in a few days having LG announcing/releasing something possibly for webOS. Exciting times ahead.


    Edit: just read the other thread here: LG trying moving away from Android smartphones, not looking at webOS (WTF?) and webOS Status Report

    Edit2: I should read other threads first before posting :-(
    Last edited by renater; 05/29/2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Changed LG releasing somthg LG to webOS and link to other relevant thread
  15. #15  
    Please LG Please !!!!!!!!!!
    Vistaus, milkman and Atheist like this.

Similar Threads

  1. webOS Status Report
    By Preemptive in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 230
    Last Post: 08/22/2017, 03:24 PM
  2. What can we make of this open-embedded core business for Open webOS?
    By dr3wster in forum Open webOS General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09/02/2012, 12:11 PM
  3. Engadget: Open Source, Open Issues for webOS
    By rmeigs in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12/22/2011, 05:51 PM
  4. Status of new webOS hardware
    By deparson in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06/24/2010, 08:27 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02/05/2010, 06:28 PM

Posting Permissions