webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open WebOS port to Galaxy S4?
Open WebOS port to Galaxy S4?
Like Tree25Likes

Old 05/11/2013, 10:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
It seems kinda weird to me that HP will shut down the App Catalog. If they'd do, then what are they going to provide with their planned OWO Pro license? Only Synergy? Doesn't seem viable to me. If they really wanna license OWO Pro then they need an App Catalog for sure.
I don't believe they plan a Pro version of Open webOS anymore. They sold off all the parts of the code that made things work to LG...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2013, 10:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I don't believe they plan a Pro version of Open webOS anymore. They sold off all the parts of the code that made things work to LG...
According to the acquistion details HP keeps the cloud based services, which include the *App Catalog*... The fact that they didn't sell the App Catalog seems to me that they're still planning to do something with it, else they would've sold that to LG too...

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2013, 10:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
According to the acquistion details HP keeps the cloud based services, which include the *App Catalog*... The fact that they didn't sell the App Catalog seems to me that they're still planning to do something with it, else they would've sold that to LG too...
Yep... they want to lease out the cloud capacity to LG and any other other future webOS OEMs ... Or repurpose it...

“WebOS and its associated community deliver market leading platforms for the next generation of connected devices. We are constantly looking for opportunities to accelerate the delivery of this platform from the community,” said Bill Veghte, HP’s chief operating officer. “LG’s track record of innovation and broad distribution provides this opportunity, while enabling HP to accelerate our Cloud efforts. In particular, with the cloud assets that will remain with HP, we will focus on delivering innovative solutions that will enable our enterprise customers to mobilize their workforce.”

HP News -*LG Electronics Acquires webOS from HP to Enhance Smart TV

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 05/15/2013, 05:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Yes, they are planning to keep getting their 30%, and probably nothing more ...
Zer0C001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9 and geekpeter like this.
Old 05/17/2013, 03:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

Looks like it is a tiny bit closer to a openwebOS gs4 since you can now get a sock android one with and unlocked bootloader. (still find the device gross)

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2013, 07:41 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0C001 View Post
Yes, they are planning to keep getting their 30%, and probably nothing more ...
the hope of getting something for nothing while letting others do the work they made a complete mess of.
Old 05/17/2013, 07:50 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rnp

Well... looking for the actual situation, IF... the LG release some version to install in Optimus G could be enough to me!

Best Regards...
Old 05/21/2013, 11:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Why do you think LG wanted the hassle?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2013, 12:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
Why do you think LG wanted the hassle?
No matter what LG does, even if it is just TV and appliances getting webOS, they are more likely to have a new iteration of the OS and would want their own App repository/store. It would be cleaner and under their control. It wouldn't be burdened by all the dead Apps lying around in the HP Catalog which goes back to 1.X...

What number the OS gets will be irrelevant, be it webOS 4.X or LGwebOS 1.X.... It will be a shift more major than the schisms between 1.X, 2.X and 3.X. It'll be its own beastie doing its own thing I would think and LG would do well to break from that past, including the HP App Cat.

Mobile Nations Devotee

Last edited by RumoredNow; 05/21/2013 at 12:10 PM.
Liked by Remy X likes this.