webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > 7" $80 Ematic Tablet open webOS compatible?
7" $80 Ematic Tablet open webOS compatible?

Old 05/02/2013, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

I recently came across the new ematic tablet. They're a low end tablet maker in most ways, but we got one of their kid tablets and for general purposes its excellent so far for the kids.

This new tablet is essentially a nexus 7 from a no name and google approved. Its only $80 and I was wondering if it may be a possible Open webOS candidate? Surely it has minimal specs, but I just figured I'd throw it out there...

Official Site
EGS004 | Ematic

Walmart
Ematic EGS004 with WiFi 7" Capacitive Touchscreen Tablet PC Featuring Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) Operating System: Computers : Walmart.com

It just came out the past few weeks ago, so its fairly new. Would be a great webOS tablet for the cost if it was functionally capable to run the os.
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2013, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

i think that sucker runs an intel chipset, im not sure if anyone has even tried to run/port open webOS onto an x86 mobile device yet?

in the end tho its specs dont matter, the only thing that matters is the same stumbling block all open webOS projects have, GFX drivers/framebuffer issues.
Old 05/02/2013, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Better to select a tablet with mass reach and with good guts (hence N7). The screen sucks on this one (800x480).
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2013, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
Better to select a tablet with mass reach and with good guts (hence N7). The screen sucks on this one (800x480).
i have an allwinner chineese 7" tablet runing at that resolution and tbh it makes little difference, i even have a 6" chineese MTK phone which again is the same resolution, its hardly noticable on games/netflix/tvcatchup/plenty of other apps.

find anything with exactly the right open set of drivers and use it, but again their all falling down on the framebuffer/accelerated gfx side of things atm, so it doesnt matter if we arbitrarily pick something that looks cheap and easy to aquire, if the gfx runs like a lead boot through treacle its all in vain.
Old 05/03/2013, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

I thought that the framebuffer issue was being tackled by LibHybris?
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2013, 05:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isandunk View Post
I thought that the framebuffer issue was being tackled by LibHybris?
dont think ive found a single open webOS video on youtube yet that runs smooth as butter and nice and accelerated yet so im guessing not?

if we had 1 single thing running nice and rapid id have thought it would end up front page news on webosnation, instead i only recall early port attempts as proof of concept which ran pretty slow in card view etc and ive seen many devs state the gfx problem being a reason for either giving up or being forced into a brick wall and getting stuck.
Old 05/03/2013, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
dont think ive found a single open webOS video on youtube yet that runs smooth as butter and nice and accelerated yet so im guessing not?

if we had 1 single thing running nice and rapid id have thought it would end up front page news on webosnation, instead i only recall early port attempts as proof of concept which ran pretty slow in card view etc and ive seen many devs state the gfx problem being a reason for either giving up or being forced into a brick wall and getting stuck.
You're right, but as I said: it's still being worked on.
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2013, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isandunk View Post
You're right, but as I said: it's still being worked on.
aye, my main point i think is that we should wait and see when something appears thats an eventual success, once that happens only then would we be able to target better or more suitable hardware geared towards whatever gfx system gets strongarmed into working as webOS requires.

then we can find nice cheapo or powerhouse tablets/phones to suggest.