webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Android GPU drivers on glibc based systems (inc. Open web OS)
Android GPU drivers on glibc based systems (inc. Open web OS)
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Pilotovef

Old 04/14/2013, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

"A Jolla Sailfish OS engineer has ported Wayland to run on Android GPU drivers. The implementation uses libhybis with the Android driver so that the rest of the operating system can be a conventional glibc-based Linux operating system, such as Mer / Sailfish OS / Open webOS. The code is to be LGPL licensed. The reported reasoning for making Wayland support Android GPU drivers was difficulty in ODM vendors not wishing to offer driver support for platforms aside from Android."

[Phoronix] Jolla Brings Wayland Atop Android GPU Drivers
Mer - a mobile Linux distribution: Wayland utilizing Android GPU drivers on glibc based systems, Part 1
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by barryb20, MAMISHO and geekpeter like this.
Thanked By: chalx
Old 04/16/2013, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Brilliant! I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this, holy crap.

If OpenwebOS could leverage this, we'd be set.
quiestbml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2013, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
Brilliant! I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on this, holy crap.

If OpenwebOS could leverage this, we'd be set.
Open webOS is already using libhyris. Morphis (one of OwOS leads) is also a major contributor to libhybris. I don't know if Wayland is ready to be used right now (didn't heard of kwin for a while) but it's reportedly a very good window server.
Nobody noticed they guy is using a Touchpad as dev device???
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 01:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
Open webOS is already using libhyris. Morphis (one of OwOS leads) is also a major contributor to libhybris. I don't know if Wayland is ready to be used right now (didn't heard of kwin for a while) but it's reportedly a very good window server.
Nobody noticed they guy is using a Touchpad as dev device???
If Open webOS already uses it, why aren't we seeing OWOS on more hardware? I'm not doubting your answer, I'm just surprised by the lack of available ports if it's as easy as it sounds. Or is libhybris not quite as plug-and-play as I guessed?
quiestbml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 04:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
If Open webOS already uses it, why aren't we seeing OWOS on more hardware? I'm not doubting your answer, I'm just surprised by the lack of available ports if it's as easy as it sounds. Or is libhybris not quite as plug-and-play as I guessed?
The main problem is the drivers. Android is still on 3.0.x kernel, while webOS is on 3.3+ kernel already. Most drivers are made for Android only and only available as binary. These binaries don't work on 3.3+ kernel.

So there are basically 2 options:
1. Get drivers/source code for 3.3 kernel (almost none available if any).
2. Somehow use the 3.0 Android kernel, make tweaks etc and run Open webOS on top of that.

Seeing that more manufacturers are producing chipsets nowadays including some that have been very open source friendly, the above situation on 1 might improve quickly. Huawei, MediaTek, Intel, AMD all started or will start their own chipset production.

Texas Instruments has been very open in the past, Qualcomm and Nvidia not for example.

Another "problem" is that the Android hardware only uses 1 framebuffer where webOS hardware always used 2.

This causes the "hardware acceleration" issues that we have seen so far in the Alpha versions from WebOS Ports.

A lot of development has been done by WebOS Ports and the Open webOS team since the last Alpha that was shown, so the above issue with hardware acceleration might have already been addressed.

Morphis has been doing a lot of work, which is way too technical for me to understand, I just see all his commits on GitHub on a daily basis
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Noremacam

Tags
android, open webos