webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What features make webOS different?
What features make webOS different?
Like Tree7Likes

Old 04/01/2013, 02:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Really... the Pre and webOS were a match made in Heaven.

The truth, however.... is that there were really only 2 (maybe 3) issues holding me back from Android --

(1) Lack of validating the security of apps entered into Market
(2) Inability to close apps
(3) Fragmentation from various manufacturers & devices

Now, however, Android has built-in functionality to close apps as YOU feel necessary, not as the system feels necessary. (I am smarter than the system) The fragmentation is going to be less and less of a problem as Samsung continues to dominate, and especially less of a problem if a Nexus device is chosen... but still a problem from time to time.

The insecurity of unvalidated apps, however... is going to keep me using webOS for just a tad longer, however. I refuse to buy Apple products, and I will be holding out on an Android device as my primary phone for as long as possible. I might look into Blackberry products, honestly. That's my only hope now, I guess...

Get Homebrew Apps, Tweaks, & Patches Working In Less Than 5 Minutes

Cross-Platform Meta-Doctor Guide -- Bypass carrier-specific activation & MORE!
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2013, 10:28 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
Really... the Pre and webOS were a match made in Heaven.

The truth, however.... is that there were really only 2 (maybe 3) issues holding me back from Android --

(1) Lack of validating the security of apps entered into Market
(2) Inability to close apps
(3) Fragmentation from various manufacturers & devices

Now, however, Android has built-in functionality to close apps as YOU feel necessary, not as the system feels necessary. (I am smarter than the system) The fragmentation is going to be less and less of a problem as Samsung continues to dominate, and especially less of a problem if a Nexus device is chosen... but still a problem from time to time.

The insecurity of unvalidated apps, however... is going to keep me using webOS for just a tad longer, however. I refuse to buy Apple products, and I will be holding out on an Android device as my primary phone for as long as possible. I might look into Blackberry products, honestly. That's my only hope now, I guess...
If I cannot run Open WebOS on one of the new handsets that's going to be out there hopefully by the end of the year (FirefoxOS and Ubuntu Mobile), I think I may follow suit to a Z10 or a Tizen-based device. Granted my Pre+ dies, anyway. It's still gonna be an easy decision to stick with WebOS til the (hopefully not brutal) end.

Of course if LG decided to give us a new phone instead (Perhaps through the cloak of Canonical or Mozilla), I'd gladly put myself on the preorder list.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2013, 11:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

I'm starting to wonder if it really is webOS or my Pre 3, or both. The thing I like most is that with that combo, it is the best for single hand opeartion. Unfortunately there aren't really any other vertical sliders for me to experiment this.

Maybe I should try the Torch, but the only memory I have of that is the software is absolu-f-in-lutely terrible when playing with my friend's.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2013, 06:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
I'm starting to wonder if it really is webOS or my Pre 3, or both. The thing I like most is that with that combo, it is the best for single hand opeartion. Unfortunately there aren't really any other vertical sliders for me to experiment this.

Maybe I should try the Torch, but the only memory I have of that is the software is absolu-f-in-lutely terrible when playing with my friend's.
The Dell Venue Pro on Windows Phone is a sweet device but the camera blows. Best portrait slider imo but that camera, God that camera!
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2013, 03:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have used a Pre, Pre2, Pre3, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone4S and a Google Nexus. Out of all of those I still use my Pre3 as my daily driver.

What I love about WebOS
  • Card based multitasking. To me, nothing that Android or iOS or BB10 provides comes even close to it. Together with gestures to copy and paste it just the most productive thing I have seen in any mobile platform.
  • Out of the box its comes with all the basic apps that I need. No need to experiment with hundreds of apps that might or might not work or install some spyware.
  • Preware - there is nothing it. Its pretty amazing how it make very low level customization available to just about anyone. You don't need to be a linux hacker to overclock your phone. And if you do happen to be a hacker you can use preware to distribute your latest contributions to the whole community who always appreciate the hard work.
  • Quality of apps - There aren't a lot but they do work and developers are very helpful.
  • Skype - Yes it might be over 2 years old since the last update. But it works so much better than Skype on any android device I have seen to-date. I guess this is because Palm had nothing to loose and everything to gain by making a good Skype implementation.
  • Just Type - To be this is a faster and practical version of Siri that works in any country not just in US.

What I wish it could improve
  • Browser - Its really showing its age now. And can really do with an upgrade.
  • Performance - Don't get me wrong, its sufficiently fast for most thing you want to do. Its not as fast as its rivals but it makes up more than enough in its simplicity and intuitiveness, I don't find it slows me down in what I want to get done from my phone. But I think it can still be better than what it is today. To me its not how fast the CPU is, its how fast you can get things done with it that really matters.
  • A Roadmap with future releases. Right now we know what we got. We are not too sure what lies ahead. But for most of us we are happy with what we got so we stick around.
roshang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2013, 05:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

Agree with productive. When I am doing something worthwhile I prefer webOS to any other. Especially the 2x version with stacks. On the other hand for coming content YouTube, maps for example, some new fangled lte device would be better.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2013, 05:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Agree with productive. When I am doing something worthwhile I prefer webOS to any other. Especially the 2x version with stacks. On the other hand for coming content YouTube, maps for example, some new fangled lte device would be better.
hmm is youtube an issue in some way?
Old 04/09/2013, 06:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
hmm is youtube an issue in some way?
Youtube is an issue for me depending where I am, like at work. I saw some kinda fix in an old forum thread to increase buffer or something to that effect. But haven't had the time to attempt it.

But any phone with lte or any kind of 4G with reliable reception should always be better than 3G. Fortunate for me I don't use my phone for play that much.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote