webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG's first webOS devices? Watch & Google Glass clone?
LG's first webOS devices? Watch & Google Glass clone?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 1 Post By renater
  • 1 Post By bassman97
  • 4 Post By Grabber5.0

Old 03/22/2013, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
LG joins smart wristwatch race
By Cho Mu-hyun

Korean technology giant LG Electronics is developing its own smart wristwatch, effectively joining the competition between Apple and Samsung Electronics who are making theirs as well.

A source familiar with the matter told The Korea Times Friday that the Yeouido-based firm’s development of the next-generation watch, along with an innovative smart product similar to Internet giant Google’s Glass, was part of its long-term strategy to keep its competitiveness in the volatile information technology (IT) industry.

“It is one major part of many currently non-commercialized products under development by LG Electronics,” said the source. “The company has spared no efforts to invest in products that it believes are must-haves to stay ahead technology wise in the market, whatever the situation maybe.”

The source declined to comment on whether the touch-screen device will run on Android or Firefox operating systems, but both are viable options for the electronics maker.

LG recently announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona that it plans to release a phone running on the latter this year. “LG Electronics believe that it is not lacking in technology compared to its competitors, especially Samsung Electronics, and have maintained a consistent standard to keep innovation alive.”

Before the wide dissemination of smartphones, LG already had a watch that was compatible with handsets and able to check messages in 2009.

“LG recognizes that it is always important to develop products for the future,” said the source.

Apple recently leaked photos and information of its iWatch to foreign media outlets, with some interpreting it as a move to keep the buzz alive around the company. Arch-rival Samsung Electronics also confirmed this week that it was indeed working on a competing product. The iPhone maker has reportedly 100 designers working on their product, while Samsung declined to unveil further details.

The concept of a phone-watch itself is nothing new: Samsung, LG and competitors such as Sony have showed proto-type watches with phone capabilities in the past.

“These releases have been up to now more oriented on creating continuous interest rather an actual product release,” said an industry official, not affiliated with LG. “For commercialization, the market must be mature enough, with a strong demand, to accept these products. Not all patented ideas and concepts reach the market.”

An executive of a local parts supplier to Samsung said the two Korean firms were “unmatched” in making display panels and had an advantage over competitors in making smart wristwatches, including Apple, as they are fully capable of supplying its own parts for the product.

“Apple, and to some degree Google, which revealed its phone-glass, are reliant on Korean and Japanese parts suppliers for the crucial panels for such devices,” he said. “Samsung and LG have an upper hand in that they control most of the needed-parts for a product like smart wristwatches.”

“There is of course the fundamental question of whether smart wristwatches will sell like smartphones. Price-range will also need to be thoroughly discussed,” he added.

LG and its rival already have advanced technology in making display-panels that can bend to fit the shape of a wristwatch, and are also developing ones that are completely flexible. Both companies’ highly-touted panels are used by Apple and major Chinese vendors such as Huawei and ZTE, among others.

Samsung and LG both unveiled curved 55-inch organic light emitting diode (OLED) televisions in January at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, proving that it has technology to make devices with bended screens and commercialize them.
LG joins smart wristwatch race
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2013, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

cant understand why some are racing to "invent" a smartwatch when they can just take the top half of a phone, turn it landscape and attach it to a sort of wrist/sweatband kinda thing and bam, a touchscreen wristwatch.

doesnt seem hard.
Old 03/22/2013, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

No, LG's first webOS devices will be televisions. After that, look for refrigerators and washing machines and other appliances.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/23/2013, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
No, LG's first webOS devices will be televisions. After that, look for refrigerators and washing machines and other appliances.
Maybe you're right with TVs, but don't discount the watches. webOS already has the technology and software to make a call via the Touchpad to the phone. Just create a watch running webOS 3.0 and start making phone call from your watch. No additional drivers or software required. Add a USB cable to sync files and contacts and you have a neat piece of hardware. A bit of design and I'll wrap it on my wrist.

Or should I have both feet on the ground again.....
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2013, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't get the point of smart watches. A phone is mobile enough. Why do you need an additional piece of hardware to extend the phone and get less information in return? For sensors, sure, but do you really need the screen?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 03/23/2013, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Refrigerators are getting smarter (Samsung even has built-in TV in some models!) so webOS would fit perfectly on there but I don't see the benefit of webOS on a washing machine. Why would you multitask on there? A simple touchscreen with some settings is more than enough (and that is the case now with Daewoo washing machines or from other vendors the more expensive models).
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2013, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I don't get the point of smart watches. A phone is mobile enough. Why do you need an additional piece of hardware to extend the phone and get less information in return? For sensors, sure, but do you really need the screen?
I would like to see something like the Sony Ericsson MBW-150, where the watch is connected to the phone, it would be helpful to see why my phone just buzzed without having to take it out. Unfortunately, the MBW-150's are too hard to find in good condition. That's my idea of a smart watch.
Old 03/23/2013, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

tadaaaaaaa a "watch" in 3 easy ugly gimp copy/paste's..........o wait its a phone doing the job of a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: png lg-watch.png (424.8 KB, 29 views) Email Attachment
Old 03/23/2013, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't get why you need a 5" screen to make or receive a phone call or TXT. Smartphones with large screens are nice for playing the odd game or using a browser while on the go. And maybe to show the odd picture to someone while enjoying a beer somewhere. The big screens will soon be replaced by foldable screens, Google Glasses and the likes or in a few more years projections on thin air or directly in front of your eye or some yet unknown combination of those.

The smartwatch I think of, has its use for receiving calls, TXTs while on the go AND turn on the TV at home or radio at home or in the car, choose a channel and adjust the audio levels and ideally have some interface to turn on the lights at home and browse the internet on the big screen or any screen nearby (tablet/laptop/monitor). And yes, the time/alarms, audio media player, taking pictures etc and the required sensors when I'm having my exercise and record that quick idea or message I want to read back or send later.

And of course the, ideally watertight, smartwatch is always on your wrist. No more digging my smartphone out of my bag or protective case, only when I need it for its big screen. BTW Happen to have the even bigger screen Touchpad for most occasions though.

Anyway, more on topic, the smartwatch as described is the smartwatch (and the seamless interacting TV) I like to see from LG. Open webOS has most of it. It's just the hardware which is missing. LG happens to be a hardware manufacturer in the first place. They just need to make it happen ;-) Life's Good!
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 03/23/2013, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I would like to see something like the Sony Ericsson MBW-150, where the watch is connected to the phone, it would be helpful to see why my phone just buzzed without having to take it out. Unfortunately, the MBW-150's are too hard to find in good condition. That's my idea of a smart watch.
You could use MotoActv for that. It's primarily focused on people doing fitness but it does connect to your smartphone and lets you know about missed calls, new texts, new tweets etc.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Old 03/23/2013, 05:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
You could use MotoActv for that. It's primarily focused on people doing fitness but it does connect to your smartphone and lets you know about missed calls, new texts, new tweets etc.
Will it connect to the Pre3??
Old 03/23/2013, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
Will it connect to the Pre3??
Not sure. It goes via Bluetooth so it'll probably will connect. But you will not be able to use the new tweets of new facebook messages function because that depends on Android (those are 2 plugins from the Play Store). But all the rest probably will since that is transferred over Bluetooth.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Old 03/23/2013, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'd probably get one just for the ability to connect with my phone via bluetooth. It'll be like **** Tracey's watch. The ability to control A/V equipment would make it a must have.
Kent Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2013, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'd be willing to take out my phone and check what it's buzzing about. I personally don't see the appeal of having another device when it won't take much additional time to operate the first. Glasses I can understand, since it's able to offer more information, but a watch is limited information and limited interaction. Some might like that, though.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 03/25/2013, 07:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
cant understand why some are racing to "invent" a smartwatch when they can just take the top half of a phone, turn it landscape and attach it to a sort of wrist/sweatband kinda thing and bam, a touchscreen wristwatch.

doesnt seem hard.
Invent, not really.

Another blast from the past:
Fossil Releases FX2008 Palm OS Wristwatch PDA
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: geekpeter
Old 03/25/2013, 09:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Now that's something I think I could like. Full OS, touch, and compatibility with existing apps. Just add phone. Still, it's either a watch or a phone for me; I wouldn't carry both for the sake of having both.
Old 03/25/2013, 10:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Now that's something I think I could like. Full OS, touch, and compatibility with existing apps. Just add phone. Still, it's either a watch or a phone for me; I wouldn't carry both for the sake of having both.
Which was a huge selling point for the Treo (why carry a T|X and a dumb phone when you can just have a Treo?). But, if it had a speaker and mic, one could then load up the Treo Telephony bits, and then use their watch as a phone with tons of echo. Nowadays, thanks to noise cancellation, this is possible but then you have a display the size of a watch face to contend with. Funny how manufacturers resurrect old ideas that where never great to begin with but yet they think it'll work out better this time. Maybe they'll fair better this time with an OS that has a UI optimized for 4"+ screens scaled down to a 1" screen.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2013, 11:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

I see the appeal of having a small device/phone/computer with you at all times. But I don't see this replacing phones we use now. Typing wouldn't be able to be done quickly or quietly. They may integrate voice to text technology which would be great. But people still want to be able to discreetly type in text while at work/school, in a waiting room, etc.
Old 03/25/2013, 08:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Well, tablets finally took off after 15 years of crap that didn't sell, so you never know.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, renater, RumoredNow and 1 others like this.
Old 03/26/2013, 04:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
You forgot printers.

Oh wait..../someone/ already did that. Cough.
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0