Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Vistaus
  • 6 Post By GMMan
  • 2 Post By 60RH
  • 1 Post By fxspec06
  1.    #1  
    So I was Googling around and found this article: Install Homebrew Apps in the WebOS Emulator

    And it works! And since the emulator actually saves my settings through reboots (like e-mail account and stuff) you can actually go very far with it as to using it as an OS on your PC (although it's in the emulator). Very cool!
    RumoredNow and fxspec06 like this.
  2. #2  
    For that matter, you could also clone your /var from your corresponding physical device, then install the Device Profile Override patch and Impostah, copy info from your device, and basically get a clone of your phone or TouchPad. I've tried it, and it works. Just reenter all your passwords (because the desktop version uses a different encryption key generation method), and you're good to go.
  3. #3  
    Yep...using that to test patches... It got me to the point where I'm trying to drag with the mouse to scroll my email on my outlook on the PC;-) We all know it's addictive.
    Vistaus and xandros9 like this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    For that matter, you could also clone your /var from your corresponding physical device, then install the Device Profile Override patch and Impostah, copy info from your device, and basically get a clone of your phone or TouchPad. I've tried it, and it works. Just reenter all your passwords (because the desktop version uses a different encryption key generation method), and you're good to go.
    Nice, thanks! But how do I get /var on the emulator?
  5. #5  
    Tar it up from the real device, then push it to the emulator and untar it there. Use a Linux live disk to do it so you won't get problems.
    Last edited by GMMan; 03/21/2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    So I was Googling around and found this article: Install Homebrew Apps in the WebOS Emulator

    And it works! And since the emulator actually saves my settings through reboots (like e-mail account and stuff) you can actually go very far with it as to using it as an OS on your PC (although it's in the emulator). Very cool!
    You don't need that how to.. just use webos quick install like with a real device to get Preware working and that's it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Nice, thanks! But how do I get /var on the emulator?
    Are you in windows? I suggest winscp. Emulator is reachable with host 127.0.0.1, port 10022.

    If you install open sftp server on your devices and copy over a private key file (I think there was a how to for that in the webos internals wiki, look for ssh server), you can reach them to, with winscp. This is a really convenient method to copy files over from/to webos devices.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    So I was Googling around and found this article: Install Homebrew Apps in the WebOS Emulator

    And it works! And since the emulator actually saves my settings through reboots (like e-mail account and stuff) you can actually go very far with it as to using it as an OS on your PC (although it's in the emulator). Very cool!
    is this approach any different to what i and others probably do.

    i just ran the emulator, booted everything up, run WebOSQuickInstall on the same PC (unplugging my pre3 or touchpad just incase) and simply the device "EMULATOR" appears, i just installed preware/other stuff that way.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  8. #8  
    this is officially the most awesomest thread ever, for the sole reason i thought about this the first time they announced webos on a desktop and you are the first person to actually post a thread, essentially bringing this to everyone's attention, while we were all sleeping

    /goingbackinmycave
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

    Vistaus likes this.
  9. #9  
    I have never enjoyed "swiping" with my mouse on the emulator, so I never promoted this use, but I certainly thought of it when all the 'desktop webos' threads were going on.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    this is officially the most awesomest thread ever, for the sole reason i thought about this the first time they announced webos on a desktop and you are the first person to actually post a thread, essentially bringing this to everyone's attention, while we were all sleeping

    /goingbackinmycave
    Eh? The SDK has been available for a long time. And it was for developers, since it was unwieldy for day-to-day use. Sure, you can load apps and stuff on there, but it's not a real device, and can't run PDK apps. I still only use it solely for development purposes.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Eh? The SDK has been available for a long time. And it was for developers, since it was unwieldy for day-to-day use. Sure, you can load apps and stuff on there, but it's not a real device, and can't run PDK apps. I still only use it solely for development purposes.
    am i right in thinking if you do something to the emulated webOS environment that it somehow selfheals/defaults to the original state, when i was trying out modifying system files here and there and i broke the system while trying to see what happened it i reduced the quality on pulseaudio from 44khz to 22khz everything died, i had to restart the emulator, but i found everything just went back to normal.

    broke a few things when trying to autostart apps on bootup, did get some of garrets stuff working that way but other stuff bombed/died.

    which is handy tbh, after that ive tried allsorts and broke it all several times, but each time it just seems to default to fresh and i just have to reload my patches/tweaks/preware/etc and try again.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  12. #12  
    The emulator doesn't reset, and is less robust than actual devices, because there is no partitioning and everything lives under rootfs instead of separate partitions for var, DB, filecache, media, etc.

Posting Permissions