webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS Quick Install 4.5.0 goes open source
WebOS Quick Install 4.5.0 goes open source
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By berdinkerdickle
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 2 Post By Derek Kessler

Old 03/13/2013, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tazmorator

From Front Page:
WebOS Quick Install 4.5.0 goes open source

The founding utility of the webOS homebrew scene has gone open source. WebOS Quick Install was first released by Jason Robitaille back in 2009 and it has served as the backbone for homebrew app installations ever since. The robust Java-based desktop app runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux, installs apps, themes, kernels, and patches from multiple homebrew sources, and with the latest update to version 4.5.0 has gone open source for the masses. Open source seems to be all the rage these days.

Despite its vital function in the webOS homebrew and open source development scene, WebOS Quick Install to this point has been a closed source application. 4.5.0 changes that, open sourcing both Quick Install and the webOSLib Java library. By open sourcing webOSLib, developers will be able to utilize the library to install Novacom drivers (open sourced by HP), list connected webOS devices, transfer files, execute shell commands, install apps and patches in compliance with webOS homebrew standards, and more.

Both webOSLib and WebOS Quick Install are up on GitHub now in full open source. You can download and compile yourself, make and submit improvements, or even fork it off into your own webOS homebrew project. Whatever floats your metaphorical homebrew boat. And, as always, if you find yourself appreciating the work Robitaille's done, hit up the source link below to offer up a donation of thanks.
Thanked by HelloNNNewman, Rnp, tito1803
Old 03/13/2013, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

and please... Lets not post long 'reality checks' for members in this one. This is pretty cool news

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by berdinkerdickle and Rnp like this.
Old 03/13/2013, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

OK.. here's a short 'reality check':

"WHAT? But Yes!".

Never too late in the continuing OS/OS manifestation.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2013, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Jason great to see you have decided to make this open source! People here love your great work on webOS and Enyo and we're happy to see that you share your apps and knowledge here with us so we can all learn from it!

I hope you will consider to open source your other projects too?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2013, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I, for one, am not in a position to directly benefit from the open sourcing of this Desktop program due to my not being a programmer. However, I do realize the immediate benefit to the community of programmers. WOSQI is far and away one of the most important tools for helping average users of webOS work with their devices. The few advances made to 4.5.0 are great for average webOS users and the Open Sourcing of the code is a very generous offering to the community as a whole.

I'm sure there are many advanced users who will use the excellent ideas Jason packed into WOSQI to help advance their own projects...

Win - Win.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2013, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Seems great information to me. One question remains though, which interests me: are the Novacom drivers open source as well?
Old 03/14/2013, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Seems great information to me. One question remains though, which interests me: are the Novacom drivers open source as well?
Yes, they are.
Liked by berdinkerdickle and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 03/15/2013, 04:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Is Jason quitting webOS/open webOS?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0