webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Anyone else feel like Open webOS is stuck in limbo? Again?
Anyone else feel like Open webOS is stuck in limbo? Again?
Like Tree6Likes

Old 03/11/2013, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I feel that LG buying webOS has set us back once again. Maybe, this is a conspiracy against webOS. Anyway I think that Open webOS is making very little progress. Almost no-one has heard about. Not to self promote but in a recent thread I noted how most people say "What's webOS?" when you tell them that android multitasking is garbage.
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2013, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hate to say it... but you'll have to get used to it. It's going to take quite a while for Open webOS to move forward in increments. The ground work is just being laid now, so you can't build a building without a foundation. Give it time and be patient.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: boovish
Old 03/11/2013, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

What NNNewman said. I know this may sound weird, but it may be a better idea to move on to a different operating system while Open webOS gets going. I have a feeling that it's going to be a long time before it's ready for a daily driver...

Sent from my "other phone"
Old 03/12/2013, 01:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I fully appreciate that updating to QT5, WebKit2 is a hard task but it was supposed to be completed during December. Media components were promised to be available "shortly" in some of the monthly release blogs. So far we're i. the 2nd week of March and QT5 hasn't completed, nor the media components have been made available.

In January they decided to focus on all non-important things in their monthly blog update (upcoming events etc) without mentioning even progress on the pending items. In February they didn't do a monthly update blog post at all (can imagine they have other things on their mind with LG acquisition, bit still how long does writing a blog post take?).

Tweets asking for status go unanswered.

The build-desktop for both stable and unstable branch are broken for quite some time (at least some weeks) now already too :-(

OWO team really needs to get their act together....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 03/12/2013, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

The build-desktop for both stable and unstable branch are broken for quite some time (at least some weeks) now already too :-(
Build-desktop works. I've managed to build on 12.4. Pay attention on 5. Step of obtaining prerequisite because its written for pre 12.4 versions of Ubuntu. I've posted correct string in exchange related thread here in open webOS forum.
Old 03/12/2013, 03:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Build-desktop works. I've managed to build on 12.4. Pay attention on 5. Step of obtaining prerequisite because its written for pre 12.4 versions of Ubuntu. I've posted correct string in exchange related thread here in open webOS forum.
It doesn't work for me (on latest 12.04 x64, 12.04 x86 I cannot get GUI to work on my setup)... Tried a number of times over the past few weeks with both stable and unstable.

Even tried with "clean" parameter but no luck.

What do you mean by step 5? This one? I replaced libxcb-icccm1-dev with libxcb-icccm4-dev and still no go...
Code:
sudo apt-get install xcb libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-sync0-dev \
libxcb1-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-image0-dev libxcb-render-util0-dev \
libxcb-icccm1-dev
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2013, 04:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
What do you mean by step 5? This one? I replaced libxcb-icccm1-dev with libxcb-icccm4-dev and still no go...
Code:
sudo apt-get install xcb libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-sync0-dev \
libxcb1-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-image0-dev libxcb-render-util0-dev \
libxcb-icccm1-dev
That was my problem. When i changed libxcb-icccm1-dev with libxcb-icccm4-dev install/update went fine (sudo apt-get install xcb libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-sync0-dev libxcb1-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-image0-dev libxcb-render-util0-dev libxcb-icccm4-dev).
Than I did git clone instead downloading zip. Afterward, build process was successful.
Old 03/12/2013, 05:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
That was my problem. When i changed libxcb-icccm1-dev with libxcb-icccm4-dev install/update went fine (sudo apt-get install xcb libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-sync0-dev libxcb1-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-image0-dev libxcb-render-util0-dev libxcb-icccm4-dev).
Than I did git clone instead downloading zip. Afterward, build process was successful.
Ok, I will try git clone instead I guess.

Build was successful here too based on older "build-desktop" but when I decided to do a "clean" build things broke. Since then I cannot build it anymore, even on clean Ubuntu VirtualBox. So I suspect something was left behind with a previous build that caused my current build to work.

However do a "clean" build or on a new Ubuntu 12.04 install it doesn't work.

I'm quite sure when you now would do a build with "clean" it would fail too....
Old 03/12/2013, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm quite sure when you now would do a build with "clean" it would fail too....
I successfully build it last Saturday - tree days ago, with clean install. I had problems with building it in a period of almost two weeks prior successful build. I've tried at least 5 unsuccessful builds during that period.
This saturday before I've started to build it, I installed all available Ubuntu updates, then went through all prerequisites s described on build-desktop page. Building process was almost 3hrs long.

Now I have operational desktop build with working connection to internet, and operational email. I've tried to copy some sinergy accounts and some services but couldn't manage to set exchange sync. I have exchange account in list of accounts, but when I try manually to set EAS account, from protocols drop down menu I can only select POP or IMAP.
Sorry for deviating from topic of this thread.

Last edited by chalx; 03/12/2013 at 09:30 AM.
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2013, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I successfully build it last Saturday - tree days ago, with clean install. I had problems with building it in a period of almost two weeks prior successful build. I've tried at least 5 unsuccessful builds during that period.
This saturday before I've started to build it, I installed all available Ubuntu updates, then went through all prerequisites s described on build-desktop page. Building process was almost 3hrs long.

Now I have operational desktop build with working connection to internet, and operational email. I've tried to copy some sinergy accounts and some services but couldn manage to set excange sync. I have exchange account in list of accounts, but when I try manually to set EAS account, from protocols drop down menu I can only select POP or Imap.
Sorry for deviating from topic of this thread.
OK will give it another try, I think I did last attempt on Sunday without luck, but could be I need to install the Ubuntu updates. I'm running 12.04.2 by the way, not the 12.04 version. Should this make any difference?
Old 03/12/2013, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm not at home right now to confirm, but I think we have same version.
Old 03/12/2013, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, for me it won't build
Can't get OpenWebOS to build on Ubuntu
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2013, 01:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I hate to say it... but you'll have to get used to it. It's going to take quite a while for Open webOS to move forward in increments. The ground work is just being laid now, so you can't build a building without a foundation. Give it time and be patient.
is the crippling factor mostly what all devs seem to get frustrated with on several ports webOS or otherwise? the gfx drivers for acceleration or the lack of, being the major pain in the behind?
Old 03/12/2013, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I cannot get stable desktop it to build on 12.04.2 64-bits .8.3.gdb-index' --set-section-flags '.gdb_index=readonly' 'libQtSql.so.4.8.3' 'l - Pastebin.com

I'll try and see if 12.04.1 32/64 bits will work....
Old 03/12/2013, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I cannot get stable desktop it to build on 12.04.2 64-bits .8.3.gdb-index' --set-section-flags '.gdb_index=readonly' 'libQtSql.so.4.8.3' 'l - Pastebin.com

I'll try and see if 12.04.1 32/64 bits will work....
isn't desktop build only for 32bit Ubuntu?
Old 03/12/2013, 02:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
isn't desktop build only for 32bit Ubuntu?
Nope according to EricBlade 64 bit should work too.... He works for the OWO team so he should know

Anyway trying 12.04.1 32 bits now in a new VirtualBox to see if that works. I couldn't get graphics to work on 12.04.2 32 bits on my new machine 12.04.2 64 bits does work fine however :S
Old 03/12/2013, 04:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

master seems to build ok on 32 bit 12.04.1, trying 64 bit 12.04.1 shortly.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 03/13/2013, 02:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Back to the OP's original question... absolutely. While there may be some dabbling going on here and there, for the most part the entire project seems to be stuck in the mud.

I'd love to see Open WebOS make it back to mobile devices, but at this point I'm afraid the reality is that there's not a whole lot to be excited about...

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2013, 04:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Without developer device, without drivers, without large developer community, without mind share... Yes, open webOS is in limbo from my perspective.
Old 03/13/2013, 07:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Yes, before the latest purchase, it seemed to be going nowhere.

I doubt many Open Source projects make it big without serious investment. Good as the homebrew deveIopers here are, they are few, the numbers are declining and they no doubt have day jobs, so little time to spare. I was waiting for HP to make good, to pull back the curtain and reveal the amazing developments their well-paid team had produced.. but no.

We can hope whatever work was done will benefit LG who will in turn benefit Open webOS with some drivers for their very capable devices.

We can only hope...
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0