webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Can Open webOS be put on any device?
Can Open webOS be put on any device?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By John Steffes

Old 03/11/2013, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I would like to put it on something other the GNexus. Could I do it?
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2013, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
I would like to put it on something other the GNexus. Could I do it?
I can not say it will work on every device, but compile it for a device, as long as the parts are compiled and the kernel has the right hooks anything is possible....

I can validate it can be compiled and it can be made to run on existing HP/Palm hardware... Despite what HP/Palm says... It would take a lot of time which HP/Palm did not have, but others have gotten it to work on allwinner devices, nexus, as an android app...

For the most part why? It has no app store (except a pre-alpha preware 2), it has no mojo so all old apps won't work, graphic accelerators drivers do not exist... Besides the wallpaper and the stock Enyo 1 apps...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: boovish
Old 03/12/2013, 03:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Could it be used on TouchPad with graphic acceleration? Is it possible to use existing TP graphic drivers to accelerate open webOS? I agree there are no apps for open webOS, but browser and email app are more robust on open webOS than on 3.0.5. I would gladly install open webOS on my TP just for browsing and email.
Old 03/12/2013, 06:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You can sideload Enyo apps on OWOS or if you want you can build Preware 2 and sideload that for installing apps on the go (beware that it's pre-alpha though).
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2013, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Could it be used on TouchPad with graphic acceleration? Is it possible to use existing TP graphic drivers to accelerate open webOS? I agree there are no apps for open webOS, but browser and email app are more robust on open webOS than on 3.0.5. I would gladly install open webOS on my TP just for browsing and email.
One can compile the modules for the Touchpad, will they work, nobody has posted they have done this yet, but comparing LunaSysMgr from webOS 3.0.5CE LunaSysMgr they were similar (until they spilt the duel processes), now the SysMgr and Luna need to be compiled separately and then ported to the Touchpad... All the other modules can be compiled in like for the Touchpad, there is no dependency if you can alter the code to fit your kernel, even that is open source on the Touchpad.

One can even build in the Android bits, (I have seen an alpha), that allowed one to run Android as a card in webOS…

Again, it is about the will of a person/group and one can do anything they put their mind to, I have seen many things done in life that others have said was impossible, I do not share that same belief, it is possible.

The question is who has the time/money/resources to do it?

For me I have made webOS 2.2.4 run on a PrePlus, compiled my own kernel and it works not 100% stable but works for me, others told me it would never work. I have made a Pixi run webOS 2.1.0 with Pre2 bits look and feel more polished and more stable, not as good as I would want, but then HP/Palm never released that kernel to open source.

Had not had the time/effort to do anything besides compile the LunaCE updated from webOSInternals/webOSPorts (removing their webOSPort tag line), when one has the source code, anything is possible. Also created many meta doctor doctor's swapping bits from point a to point b, to build webOS 2.2.4 for Veer, webOS 3.0.5 for Touchpad Go, and webOS 2.2.5 for Verizon Pre3.

Last edited by John Steffes; 03/14/2013 at 07:31 AM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bigdoby, jcmarcos, Mutoidi and 2 others like this.
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 03/14/2013, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would be happy if someone port this beautifull OS on Xperia Mini Pro (SK17i). Android now is very tiring to me, and I want try something new (Ehhh someone buy palm pre 2 faster and I don`t have device with webOS )
Stanislaw Tlolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2013, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislaw Tlolka View Post
I would be happy if someone port this beautifull OS on Xperia Mini Pro (SK17i). Android now is very tiring to me, and I want try something new (Ehhh someone buy palm pre 2 faster and I don`t have device with webOS )
I would like it if it got onto the Nokia Lumia 822 or the droid x
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2013, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
I would like it if it got onto the Nokia Lumia 822 or the droid x
Yeah, I'd love to see it on any Nokia hardware, old or new. Even with ARM11, webOS would be beautiful on an N8, 808, or E6. Though, with Linux backing MeeGo on the N9, I wonder if that may be easier.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0