webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Palm OS vs Web OS
Palm OS vs Web OS
Like Tree5Likes

Old 03/06/2013, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

I know it's been awhile since the old Palm style OS has been popular but I wanted some opinions from you guys.

- As much as I love Web OS and the multitasking I have always wished that the old Palm style OS would make a comeback. Obviously it would need to be updated but as we can see with iOS (which looks identical in many ways), Palm nailed it the first time around. It's just very unfortunate that iOS took off and only did things half as well nearly 5-6 years after I was doing the same things on my Palm/Clie handhelds.

- Would any of you be willing to download a 'retro' style Palm skin for your Web OS devices? (Like how Android is skinned but without the terrible lag and buggy crashes)

- Head to head which do you prefer and why? Web OS vs Palm OS = who wins in your eyes?

Thanks! I'll keep checking back to see what everybody thinks.
Old 03/06/2013, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I liked the simple one handed operation, including deleting emails on Palm OS. Changing the size of the font for reading text messages was great. Browser was way out of date. Screen was way out of date.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2013, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
I liked the simple one handed operation, including deleting emails on Palm OS. Changing the size of the font for reading text messages was great. Browser was way out of date. Screen was way out of date.
Oh God! A Blazer flashback! In all seriousness, I loved Palm OS because it was a very light OS that required very little horsepower. There has not been any keyboard better than a Treo. End. Of. Story. I've had BB Bolds and Torches and they are a distant second. Navigating was a breeze with the D-pad and it made the stylus optional.

webOS is a completely different animal so it's not fair to compare. Especially since no Palm OS device had anything above EDGE/EVDO Rev. 0 for data speeds. webOS on a Treo 700, that would be interesting though. But with the Pre2 screen size.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2013, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tazmorator

PalmOS had available almost any app one could need. I don't remember anything I didn't like about it but the browser and the lack of multi-tasking.
Many at the time would downplay multitasking, and for the majority of users multitasking was unnecessary.
When I got my hands on a TreoPro, I was in heaven. To me, it has been my favorite device of all time.
For myself, I'm giving webOS a second chance.
Despite the elegance of webOS, I just couldn't find acceptable replacement apps for what I had with PalmOS.
Old 03/06/2013, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
PalmOS had available almost any app one could need. I don't remember anything I didn't like about it but the browser and the lack of multi-tasking.
Many at the time would downplay multitasking, and for the majority of users multitasking was unnecessary.
When I got my hands on a TreoPro, I was in heaven. To me, it has been my favorite device of all time.
For myself, I'm giving webOS a second chance.
Despite the elegance of webOS, I just couldn't find acceptable replacement apps for what I had with PalmOS.
Palm os 6 had multitasking. too bad no one licensed it. I always wanted a treo 180 (compare to the bb 5810 i have) and a palm centro.

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2013, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Not to ruin anything because I do admire PalmOS even though I've never used it but how is deleting e-mails easier with one-hand on PalmOS? On webOS it takes only one swipe to delete an e-mail and that can be performed easily with your thumb.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2013, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
I know it's been awhile since the old Palm style OS has been popular but I wanted some opinions from you guys.

- As much as I love Web OS and the multitasking I have always wished that the old Palm style OS would make a comeback. Obviously it would need to be updated but as we can see with iOS (which looks identical in many ways), Palm nailed it the first time around. It's just very unfortunate that iOS took off and only did things half as well nearly 5-6 years after I was doing the same things on my Palm/Clie handhelds.

- Would any of you be willing to download a 'retro' style Palm skin for your Web OS devices? (Like how Android is skinned but without the terrible lag and buggy crashes)

- Head to head which do you prefer and why? Web OS vs Palm OS = who wins in your eyes?

Thanks! I'll keep checking back to see what everybody thinks.
I loved Palm, and still do. I must say I was quite adept as much as I could be with the old gear. Owned a Vx, m105 (which I just replaced from a friend who didn't want his, all the rest are gone.), IIIxe with gotype keyboard, and one of the newer black and white Zire's.

As much as I used the things as a kid, it pained me that I never had a chance to play with a newer color variant. Well, for very long atleast. I had a m505 at one point, but fried it with the wrong psu.

I was able to fit almost 16mb on the poor little 8mb devices with Flyzip.

The M105 and the Zire got the most use; the m105 got it's use as a general PDA and a few games. The zire, however, got used as a gameboy due to it's button arrangement and faster clock speed.

So in the end, I had a good run with Palm, and the wheels are still turning. I'm a loyal Palm, and cling tightly to my 1.x webos devices. Currently a Pre+, as my Pixi+ took a swim. I honestly don't plan on giving it up for anything except another WebOS phone. Android just doesn't compare imo. Sure, we lack software in some aspects and android doesn't, but webos just feels right. Android just...doesnt.

Sorry for the wall of text and scrambled bits of speech. If I had to say my favorite aspect of WebOS is WebOS itself. I love the fact that it's a small, pretty looking, linux machine. I'm a bit odd, being a linux user and liking a bit of bloat every now an then.

Who doesn't like eyecandy that infuriates Apple's legal sharks?

Edit: also, I'd use a retro theme if it were a complete theme. I don't use any theme but stock due to the missing icons and non-uniformity annoying my OCD.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
Shadowflank is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 03/06/2013, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

palm Os was fine but locked up a lot if I remember correctly. It was easier to switch between email accounts I think. I still miss ptunes it had an equalizer. But webos way better to me.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Both have their strengths and weaknesses:

Palm OS:
-Default apps. Why Palm never ported over the default PIM apps to webOS is beyond me. The default stuff was better than many of the apps people buy to replace the webOS default. I know the iPhone mentality had something to do with this but honestly, no alarm for tasks? No agenda view? It was a joke going from the Palm OS PIMs to webOS.
-Chatteremail. Palm bought and employed the developer. This was by far the BEST email client I've used on a mobile device. Again, it's beyond me how Palm had this developer, his code, and talent and didn't try to keep him to put it in webOS. The webOS client is also another step back from Palm OS here.
-Attention Manager. In Palm OS, you had a central notification center. Although webOS has excellent notifications, it groups notifications from the same app together. Some may prefer this, but I don't. In Palm OS, at least emails, texts, etc. would be listed individually and I can decide which to dismiss without going into the actual app.
-Menus. Palm OS had menus which let you have PC like functionality. I have no idea how Palm could switch to the single menu structure of webOS. Similarly, I have no idea why any touch OS can't do menus like Palm OS (tap the top and file, edit, etc. is shown). Scrolling through long menus drove me nuts with BlackBerry and drives me nuts in webOS.
-A BT stack that's actually worth a damn. Sure webOS added AD2P but there's no file transfer, LAN, etc. that Palm OS had.
-Graffiti. Sure it's not as important with a keyboard device but if a slate device was ever released, this would be a cool alternative to swype.
-NVBackup. I can't count how many times this saved me. WebOS has no equivalent.
-Start-up. Thanks to Clean Start, I'd boot-up in under a minute. WebOS on the other hand...

webOS:
-Multitasking. Although one could use DAs, this in many instances made things very unstable depending on the DA/open app combo. Funny though, since the iPhone doesn't even include DA functionality so again, Jobs is still in the days pre-garnet.
-Connectivity. Unlike Palm OS, which is limited in how many radios it can support, webOS isn't. It was nice to finally get past the 3G limitation in GSM Palm OS devices.
-Web. Finally, Palm got a worthy browser. Problem is, so was Blazer when it first came out and just like Blazer, Palm left it to rot and here we are, using a webOS browser that hasn't changed much since 09. It would have been nice if a web-centric OS would be on the bleeding edge of webkit updates.
-Linux. Although Palm OS was busted open by many talented people like Dmitry, being backed by Linux makes webOS much better to play with than Palm OS.
-Gesture area. Much more efficient than Palm OS in navigating. Shame they didn't allow gesture customization like Palm OS did with the 4 app buttons.

Head-to-head though, both are tied to me. For work, multi-tasking doesn't concern me and DAs work just fine, so my T|X wins hands down. Solid like a rock, ability to take notes and view them in Palm Desktop, etc. makes it a winner. For personal use, having a more current browser, stability, 3G, wifi, and being able to view different apps, all open, is more needed for me. My Pre3 makes my life easier when I need to do things on the go. So much for the zen of Palm bringing everything into one device...
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: DeadPlatformSociety
Old 03/07/2013, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rnp

Well... Pocket Tunes has support to MTP and Playlists sync... I missing that...

And more: the Documents To Go 11 for Palm OS is the best mobile Office Suite! Simple and functional!

Best Regards...
Old 03/07/2013, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

I forgot DTG. I should also add greats like PalmPDF, the old Handspring Advance Calc, the Auto Num Lock hack ( I wish someone made a patch for webOS to do this). I really should stop since I may swap my SIM when I get home if I keep going...
Old 03/07/2013, 11:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

I loved having DocsToGo on my Sony CLIE.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 11:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Palm desktop and it's integration with Palm OS is something that I will never understand how the WebOS team didn't see that as a huge plus. Apple had their own address book and calendar to use with the iPhone.

I like the WebOS browser, but don't share the enthusiasm for multi tasking on such small screens. I have switched cards only to not realize the phone was still connected to the last call.

How is it that you can zoom the size on an incoming email on WebOS but not your reply? It makes it very hard to proof read punctuation, etc. If you initiate an email it can't be zoomed either. Maybe after all this time I don't know how do make it work. That is a huge negative for me on WebOS email.

Overall WebOS has a much better look than Palm OS but it's not a workhorse like Palm was.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
the Auto Num Lock hack
Sorry about my ignorance, but... what is this?

Best Regards...
Old 03/07/2013, 11:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

resco backup... I love that app, backing up and restoring a complete device. I really liked how I could always be sure my data was safe and I managed the backups.

It seems like you had more data displayed in the small screens, than we do even in the larger TP.

I miss using a stylus.

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 01:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm glad to see so many people reminiscing about Palm OS. While I love my Touchpad and web OS a large part of me wishes for the simplicity of Palm OS. I loved spending my free time in high school looking for games/programs to try out. It was neat because before App stores took over you had to find dedicated forums, fans and programmers who were 'in the know' with where to go or find a friend who had programs.

I remember loading a few movie trailers on my Clie and taking it to school. Yeah, it was only about 15 sec of video on the small storage but man did I think I was cool! Unfortunately the cute chick next to me was less than impressed. She stared at my Clie like I was holding a baby alien.
Old 03/07/2013, 02:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tazmorator

Man!
I forgot about all that good stuff.
Old 03/07/2013, 02:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Sorry about my ignorance, but... what is this?

Best Regards...
It was hack created by another great Palm OS developer (Alex Pruss) for YAHM. Basically, it was a customizable num lock. For example, say I'm typing a multi-digit number. To do so, I would have to hit opt/white key twice to lock it. With the hack, I would only have to press it once and then when I hit space or a letter, it would disable the lock. Even better, the triggers (both to keep num lock on or to turn it off) were customizable.

See the link for a better description:
1src Forums - better Treo numlock

How about that for nostalgia, 1src.com.
Old 03/07/2013, 02:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

I remember that the biggest pain at that time was constantly waiting for Doc2Go to release their new versions.

I did dig out a SD card a few weeks ago that still has my copy of TealOS on it

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 02:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
I forgot DTG. I should also add greats like PalmPDF, the old Handspring Advance Calc, the Auto Num Lock hack ( I wish someone made a patch for webOS to do this). I really should stop since I may swap my SIM when I get home if I keep going...
Yep, go home swap sims and go through the fun activity of getting Opera browser to load properly. Forgot how much fun THAT was. BTW, I still have all the JVM files needed in my external drive......just in case.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
experience, palm, web os

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0