webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Palm OS vs Web OS
Palm OS vs Web OS
Like Tree5Likes

Old 03/07/2013, 04:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Palm OS had years of release to be "perfected".

WebOS never officially got above 1.4.5.1 for all of the buyers of the Pre, Pixi and the plus versions.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 04:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

It does make me wonder how Palm OS would hold up now to other smartphone platforms if you get more powerful hardware and ignore the outdated look.

My head is still stuck in the era where RAM is everything, since the only Palm OS device I had was a m105.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 03/07/2013, 09:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

What I can say is that functionality...is still something the Palm OS beats all the other players hands down.....I can add that IF WEBOS didn't ditch the Palm ecosystem but instead integrated the apps or allowed some wrapper for the old apps to call WebOS APIs..it would have been interesting.

Even right now, my wife is happy with her Palm OS phone, it works for her, and I had skinned it with the Webos Card skin (it's a bit slow)...but if HP had released say Palm OS on Pixi Plus!!..it would be a winner lol updated CPU, low utilization, keyboard.

well if the Palm OS has been updated .(and can still run the old Palm apps), putting it on new hardware might just still be quite successful...
and i agree, cannot understand why palm ditched the desktop..its data I'd rather have on my laptop then on the cloud and I have better control of what to backup / sync etc.

actually reading this WIKI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_OS

so Palm had 100% rights to use PalmOS from Access and do whatever they wanted. Given HP bought Palm, thus it applies to them. Might as well ask HP to release PalmOS as opensource? lol...

Last edited by daexpression; 03/07/2013 at 09:35 PM.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 03/07/2013, 10:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

I always wanted the Treo Pro to have Palm OS but nope :/ And I never saw the Sony Clie nx70, coolest Palm OS device I ever saw!

nr70_13h.jpg

81Stkj3HSzL._AA1500_.jpg

Sony_CLIE_PEG-NX70V.jpg

and there is one on craigslist for $35 ......me want

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers

Last edited by mattmers; 03/07/2013 at 10:55 PM.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 11:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Tazmorator

I never adopted webOS.
I gave it a brief try.
I think the only app I bought for webOS was Classic.
I don't remember it working too well.
Old 03/07/2013, 11:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

One thing I'll say IMO is that webOS was never Business oriented enough. And probably lost several to BB or people just stuck with Palm OS as a result.

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 12:32 AM   #27 (permalink)

WebOS was not going to get/keep Palm users - people forget that PalmOS had an app for Real Estate agents to get into lock boxes on houses for sale. When I spent my brief time on a buggy Pre (before I opted for a simple Pixi), my doctor saw it, looked it over and asked why he couldn't have the same contact file and apps he used everyday on his 700. He actually shook his head in disapproval. At that point he was viewing the Pre as a whole new phone and because of that, he could choose anything - Palm as he used it was over.

I think WebOS has a great GUI with function that is a tad aimless. Sure you can text (if you can see it) you can email, you can browse, you can use a couple of online contact and calendar sites and sync to them - even view documents but IMO it wasn't thought out past the glamour.

I say this as I am still using a Pixi released over 3 years ago. So you can make it work in many cases.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 12:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Tazmorator

I think there was a lot of doctors who had industry specific palm apps that also had no webOS replacement.
Old 03/08/2013, 05:58 AM   #29 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@bassman97: Agenda view IS possible if you install the *free* patch called "UberCalendar".
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 07:53 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
Yep, go home swap sims and go through the fun activity of getting Opera browser to load properly. Forgot how much fun THAT was. BTW, I still have all the JVM files needed in my external drive......just in case.
Don't know about me but between my Centro, Treo 680 & T|X, I never had an issue with Opera, except for the sporadic crashes that would happen w/ Palm OS anyway. It's all about the right settings, a clean and massive cache, a patience. At least Opera allowed me to switch between the full and mobile version of sites.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 08:00 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
@bassman97: Agenda view IS possible if you install the *free* patch called "UberCalendar".
Which I have installed, along with AgendaZ. However, that requires a patch and an app. Calendar in Palm OS had it built in and even included a task display and a Versamail plugin, right from the get-go. Datebk6 even ups it with lunar cycle display, mail plugin, system stat plugin, NVCache plugin (a la Reset Doctor), etc. Though the center menu patch in webOS is quite nice and works better than actually having to open an app to see one's agenda, as it's always available with a swipe. But again, these are add-ons that are needed to meet or surpass what Palm OS had stock.
Old 03/08/2013, 08:05 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
so Palm had 100% rights to use PalmOS from Access and do whatever they wanted. Given HP bought Palm, thus it applies to them. Might as well ask HP to release PalmOS as opensource? lol...
Palm/HP only has a license in perpetuity to do as they like. Access owns the code so they would have to open source it. The sad saga is first, Cobalt, then ALP (Access Linux Platform) which was basically Cobalt but built on Linux, and lastly, DGOS all died, while trying to keep Palm OS relevant and up-to-date. Maybe we could convince Dmitry to release all his work for Palm OS as free and open source, as he did with DGOS (I believe). I know he had many customizations to the NVFS system to fix the issues Palm didn't that he never released.
Old 03/08/2013, 09:17 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
I think there was a lot of doctors who had industry specific palm apps that also had no webOS replacement.
There is no equal to Eponyms on any platform right now. That's probably why there are so many T/Xs still available on Amazon & eBay commanding top dollar (with the software included, duh).
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2013, 10:01 PM   #34 (permalink)

One thing I hated about Palm OS was having to install a third party patch for left-handed support. I mean, about 10% of all people are left handed! Why not just build an option in the UI for switching the scroll bars over? I also got into the Palm OS thing a bit late, so browsing old sites optimized for 800x600 and trying to find games that worked on my (black and white, low memory) device while about half of the links were dead was fun.
shicky256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 04/07/2013, 10:09 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicky256 View Post
One thing I hated about Palm OS was having to install a third party patch for left-handed support. I mean, about 10% of all people are left handed! Why not just build an option in the UI for switching the scroll bars over? I also got into the Palm OS thing a bit late, so browsing old sites optimized for 800x600 and trying to find games that worked on my (black and white, low memory) device while about half of the links were dead was fun.
strangely, on the hires+ devices (320x480), they had a handedness option in the preferences panel saying which way the screen should rotate, but it didn't touch the scroll bars.

thankfully there was the third-party patch, but we were fortunate, considering i could never find a Windows Mobile alternative. I liked webOS's handedness-independent unlock slider.
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 04/08/2013, 03:45 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
- Would any of you be willing to download a 'retro' style Palm skin for your Web OS devices? (Like how Android is skinned but without the terrible lag and buggy crashes)
I remember that there was a retro style "skin" for the phone app to be used during validation testing. We used to joke that we were going to make it look like we might just release another PalmOS phone. :P

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and xandros9 like this.
Old 04/08/2013, 09:26 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I remember that there was a retro style "skin" for the phone app to be used during validation testing. We used to joke that we were going to make it look like we might just release another PalmOS phone. :P
This is Pre everyone.
It's beautiful isn't it?
When you turn it on, you see the classic PalmOS experience.
*cricket* *cricket*
Nah just kidding! This is webOS.
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2016, 12:19 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
I loved Palm, and still do. I must say I was quite adept as much as I could be with the old gear. Owned a Vx, m105 (which I just replaced from a friend who didn't want his, all the rest are gone.), IIIxe with gotype keyboard, and one of the newer black and white Zire's.

As much as I used the things as a kid, it pained me that I never had a chance to play with a newer color variant. Well, for very long atleast. I had a m505 at one point, but fried it with the wrong psu.

I was able to fit almost 16mb on the poor little 8mb devices with Flyzip.

The M105 and the Zire got the most use; the m105 got it's use as a general PDA and a few games. The zire, however, got used as a gameboy due to it's button arrangement and faster clock speed.

So in the end, I had a good run with Palm, and the wheels are still turning. I'm a loyal Palm, and cling tightly to my 1.x webos devices. Currently a Pre+, as my Pixi+ took a swim. I honestly don't plan on giving it up for anything except another WebOS phone. Android just doesn't compare imo. Sure, we lack software in some aspects and android doesn't, but webos just feels right. Android just...doesnt.

Sorry for the wall of text and scrambled bits of speech. If I had to say my favorite aspect of WebOS is WebOS itself. I love the fact that it's a small, pretty looking, linux machine. I'm a bit odd, being a linux user and liking a bit of bloat every now an then.

Who doesn't like eyecandy that infuriates Apple's legal sharks?

Edit: also, I'd use a retro theme if it were a complete theme. I don't use any theme but stock due to the missing icons and non-uniformity annoying my OCD.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Hah I've got to agree with you, I had a Palm trēo 650 once, the OS was great but a bit slow. And don't get me started on blazer... Have been on Palm pre 2 since March, have no deZire (get it?) to return to my old iPhone. 5!!!
jamiejoe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/2016, 04:29 PM   #39 (permalink)

"Free music ringtones". "clear weather". These forums. The touchstone (clock). All fantastic.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
collaborative_learning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
experience, palm, web os

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0