webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Could we lobby HP to create OpenWebOS/WebOS Ports friendly Android tablets?
Could we lobby HP to create OpenWebOS/WebOS Ports friendly Android tablets?
  Reply
Like Tree1Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02/18/2013, 01:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 755
HP made their decision on WebOS some time ago. A handful of emails at this point is pointless.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2013, 01:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
shame that...

Open & Hackable Android tablet

costs so much, lots of ports/goodies and its allwinner based, pity 72ka's port efforts stuck on the gfx acceleration side of things as so many end up suffering from.

i do recall replying to a thread ages ago with 2 hacker/opensource intended tablets but cant fidn that thread atm to check on the other tablets history/progression.

but yeah we cant and shouldnt expect HP to make a difference here, its all down to the ports team to find a magic device that suits all our needs thats fully open to do everything required to perform normally, this is much more realistic than hoping HP will hand over the magic required to progress.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2013, 02:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 21
Meg's twitter handle is @MegWhitman though she hasn't used it in over a year.
jjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jdevora
Old 02/18/2013, 02:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 113
I love WebOS but I don't see the point of it if there are no new apps being made and no apps being updated.
If we could use Android apps on WebOS then that would be a different matter WebOS would remain relevant , great OS with loads of apps.
But as it stands its dead what's the point .
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2013, 02:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
I love WebOS but I don't see the point of it if there are no new apps being made and no apps being updated.
If we could use Android apps on WebOS then that would be a different matter WebOS would remain relevant , great OS with loads of apps.
But as it stands its dead what's the point .
lack of apps or not your webOS phone is still primarily a phone, as long as it makes calls its fine, tablet may be different in that respect but you can still triple boot that if needed and it still manages the "usual and basics" that the other platforms enjoy.

while android apps on webOS native would be the final useful solution ACL is stillborn, always was so we cant realistically expect it, chompers solution while not made perfect was the final better option, "android in a card", but alas we probably wont see that come into play either.

i use webOS because tis still useful to me, works in a way much easier than the others, and with the homebrew/ports teams around i have a tablet than can do more than any other tablet out there on 1 of the 3 OS i have installed. (i actually have a 4th that runs on ubuntuchroot but its stupidly slow/unuseable).
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2013, 05:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,148
I really don't expect open webOS friendly Android tablet from HP because it would be most logical thing for them to do, and as such, it would be most likely dismissed in upper management.
__________________
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jdevora
Old 02/18/2013, 06:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2
I don't think lobbying hp will help, but if we lobby them and Google, maybe we can get an open source android with a large portion of open webos and all its goodies.....mind you...I don't that is too far off what google and hp may be planning.....remember open source
jforrest02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 05:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforrest02 View Post
I don't think lobbying hp will help, but if we lobby them and Google, maybe we can get an open source android with a large portion of open webos and all its goodies.....mind you...I don't that is too far off what google and hp may be planning.....remember open source
I don't know others, but what I want is new hardware for put WebOS on it for gain some "hacker attraction" that would help in keep developing the OS
jdevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 10:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 3,734
I don't see how they can compete on android tablets with other asian companies that can make them cheaper. Wasn't that the original rationale for spinning off the pc business?

They need proprietary software.

Meg said 3-5 year plan for openWebOS, I would think this year is crucial. What is the plan though?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 02:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Buddy1969's Avatar
 
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
...Meg said 3-5 year plan for openWebOS, I would think this year is crucial. What is the plan though?
Well, your guess is as good as anyone. Nobody really seems to know. Basically, the OS and the GBU were kicked out into the community with not so much as a "whoopsie daisy".

They got the patent for the WebOS UI last year.

Now they go for Android Smartphones.

Wild guess: they could be looking for ways to get the WebOS UI on Android. You know, like a launcher or something. Like Touchwiz from Samsung or so.

Whatever we do here. We are just wildly guessing.
WebOS Ports/Internalz are sweating their collectve butts off to get OWOS running on another device. Sadly, the problems seems the same on most devices, no matter if the bootloader is open or not: hardware acceleration can't be achived because the drivers are proprietary binaries.
Any help from anyone? HP? Not in a million years.

We can discuss HPs shortcommings.
We can discuss the lack of support with hardware.
We can discuss the lack of apps and how or if this is important.

We can discuss.
Period.
__________________
War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Buddy1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 10:25 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Well, your guess is as good as anyone. Nobody really seems to know. Basically, the OS and the GBU were kicked out into the community with not so much as a "whoopsie daisy".

They got the patent for the WebOS UI last year.

Now they go for Android Smartphones.

Wild guess: they could be looking for ways to get the WebOS UI on Android. You know, like a launcher or something. Like Touchwiz from Samsung or so.

Whatever we do here. We are just wildly guessing.
WebOS Ports/Internalz are sweating their collectve butts off to get OWOS running on another device. Sadly, the problems seems the same on most devices, no matter if the bootloader is open or not: hardware acceleration can't be achived because the drivers are proprietary binaries.
Any help from anyone? HP? Not in a million years.

We can discuss HPs shortcommings.
We can discuss the lack of support with hardware.
We can discuss the lack of apps and how or if this is important.

We can discuss.
Period.
>WebOS Ports/Internalz are sweating their collectve butts off to get OWOS running on another device. >Sadly, the problems seems the same on most devices, no matter if the bootloader is open or not: >hardware acceleration can't be achived because the drivers are proprietary binaries.
>Any help from anyone? HP? Not in a million years.

That was the whole idea, the difficult part for doing a good port is having access to the Drivers.
With internal lobbing HP could allow OpenWebOS/WebOS Ports access to those proprietary drivers and let them do a descent port.
Effort for HP? A few emails from the right people...
jdevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Tags
android, openwebos, webosports

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0