webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Will HP/webOS ever be able to fill there employment gap?
Will HP/webOS ever be able to fill there employment gap?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ventus221

Old 02/12/2013, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

I decided to browse the OpenwebOS site and made my way to the Jobs section. There I found over 30 job listings. Will HP ever get these filled? How are these not being filled when I always hear about people needing jobs lol. I feel at least 5 of them are jobs that would be axed in other tech companies in this less then friendly job market so how are they not filled.

Open webOS :: Jobs

and whats up with the china listing? any ideas?
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It's not people needing the jobs, it's the lack of specialized talent, either that or it just hasn't been updated.
Old 02/12/2013, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

And it's lack of perspective.

Would you start a job, where you don't know, if you are on the street again tomorrow? Would you start a job i.e. as an IBM-OS/2 programmer? Or as an app developer for the Access-Linux-Project (ALP)?
Especially if it means that you have to aquire know-how that get's you to exactly nowhere? Or if you have to move your home, to be able to reach your workdesk?

I understand completely, that people are not keen on a position in a company division that was in the news a lot, because of lay-offs.
Old 02/12/2013, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Actually, when it comes to Silicon Valley, there's a deficit of available talent to open positions. There are plenty of people who may want a job, but qualified and available people are another matter.

And as Buddy1969 pointed out, this is a job we're talking about. If you're in the market for a new job in Silicon Valley, would you be more likely to gravitate towards stable, growing, and well-paying companies like Google or Apple, or would you roll the dice on your career and go for a division with a questionable future like webOS in a company with a questionable future like HP?
Old 02/12/2013, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

That deficit of available talent isn't just in the valley. I work in the software engineering field and the number of qualified applicants can be counted on one hand after a fireworks accident.

I agree with your other points too Derek. They are the exact reasons why I wont be trying for any of their positions.

If any fresh young software engineer is looking at this I would HIGHLY recommend they apply there. Most of the positions would look great on a resume to Google, Apple, etc in 3-5 years (assuming the job lasts that long).
Old 02/12/2013, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can see how software engineers don't want to risk HP's instability if they have families or financial obligations but otherwise why not? Silicon valley culture doesn't have much loyalty anyway and people would tend to leave the job in a year or two after they get bored or they get a better offer. The HP checks won't bounce and open webos/gram is a small outfit under or spun off from HP so they have a clear focus without too much interference. (Main HP probably barely remembers webos. Joining a start up might hit the lottery but might just go under with stock shares worth nothing. Webos probably wants some senior people and that's harder to find.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Startups are a dime a dozen here. I doubt stability is the concern.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0