02/09/2013, 09:52 PM
All rules noted at Testing Gnex - WebOS-Ports are in full effect.
I used this method to install on my Gnex using my Win7 laptop. In theory, it should work using Windows 8, but I can't test.
This is all alpha. Proceed at your device's and your own risk.
- You have read the rules at Testing Gnex - WebOS-Ports
- A GNex
- Wugfresh's NRT 1.6.3 Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.3 | WugFresh Read the FAQs, wiki, etc. at the site. Understand the tool, then download
- an openwebos image
- a modified openwebos kernel
1. Install NRT 1.6.3; follow all instructions for your Gnex build. Follow all instructions to ensure proper driver setup. Refer to the NRT help and faq for any driver setup concerns.
2. Backup data if you have not (use tool or whatever method you choose).
3. Follow NRT instructions to unlock bootloader. NRT faq and help are very thorough.
4. In NRT, use advanced options to access cmd line window. Read faq and wiki to understand the batch script being run. You will need to have your Gnex plugged into the pc.
5. In the command line, change directory to location of openwebos image. Use the command found at Testing Gnex - WebOS-Ports to push the openwebos image to the Gnex.
6. In command line, activate Gnex to bootloader using command at Testing Gnex - WebOS-Ports (minus the 'sudo' )
7. Change directory to location of modified openwebos kernel. Use the command to boot the modified kernel found at Testing Gnex - WebOS-Ports (minus the 'sudo')
8. Device boots into openwebos.
I am being deliberately obtuse as this can bork your device. I managed all this reading the FAQs, wikis and some good googling skills to obtain the tools and knowledge I needed to get it done. I did it owning my Gnex less than a day (birthday present).
Have fun, you've been warned.
UPDATED FOR NEW NRT 1.6.3 - see additional warning on my post of Feb 25 2013.
]UPDATE AS OF 18 OCT:
I no longer use this method as I install from linux now. However, it should still work provided one follows the revised instructions at the webOS-ports wiki link above.