webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS Apps on Open webOS?
webOS Apps on Open webOS?
Like Tree6Likes

Old 02/07/2013, 07:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I get your frustrations, I pretty much have the same. I try to learn and develop mainly by looking at examples and existing apps but there aren't too many to be honest that are of much help.

For the emulator images, see:

https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../emulator.html

Code:
 palm-emulator --install "~/Downloads/SDK 1.4.5.452.vmdk.zip"
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 07:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
..., I also think you don't really understand what open source means. ....
Yes I do. I even worked on a study about establishing an open source region in our area, together with the local university.

Other question: is there any known governance model for OWOS?
Old 02/07/2013, 08:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I get your frustrations, I pretty much have the same. I try to learn and develop mainly by looking at examples and existing apps but there aren't too many to be honest that are of much help.

For the emulator images, see:

https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../emulator.html

Code:
 palm-emulator --install "~/Downloads/SDK 1.4.5.452.vmdk.zip"
Well, the Enyo website provides documentation and samples for Enyo 2 and you can get more from the Enyo community website to add to your project.

Also, there are more recent emulators like the webOS 3.0.5 one for example. That one is especially handy since you can easily test Enyo 2 apps on it.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 08:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, the Enyo website provides documentation and samples for Enyo 2 and you can get more from the Enyo community website to add to your project.

Also, there are more recent emulators like the webOS 3.0.5 one for example. That one is especially handy since you can easily test Enyo 2 apps on it.
the 3.0.5 image worked when i had the correct version of virtualbox, and i had the launch entries added to virtualbox by the palm-emulator, however after upgrading it doesnt work anymore and reinstalling it didnt work either, also the palm-emulator keeps spitting error messages due to the newer virtualbox.

downgrading virtualbox or removing it totally hasnt even worked, must be something leftover screwing it up, the emulator with 3.0.5 was what i was using when messing with autostarting certain apps on bootup, id got garrets weather app auto launched and minimised to notification bar and managed to abuse shiftyaxels wifi app to launch on startup by launching samba manually without his frontend, then i was attempting to abuse box/webdav to mount into a local folder so i could use internalZ and touchplayer to access cloud files without having to use the actual dropbox apps.

Unfortunatly something broke, and i havent managed to repair or fix or even reinstall a working set of images, and if i manually add the 3.0.5 image on the new virtualbox it just refuses to boot at all, im assuming i just need the right settings seeing as it did originally work using old virtualbox then upgrading after it set everything up correctly with the old one.

starting to think ill have to wipe 1 of my laptops and start from scratch to get it working right.
Old 02/07/2013, 02:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Weird because the 3.0.5 emulator image works fine here in the newest VirtualBox.
Old 02/07/2013, 02:21 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Weird because the 3.0.5 emulator image works fine here in the newest VirtualBox.
added manually after a virtualbox install or added when you had an older version of virtualbox then upgraded?
Old 02/07/2013, 03:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I tried it on 2 computers, one I upgraded VirtualBox and it still worked and the other I have a clean install of the newest VirtualBox and it still works.
Old 02/07/2013, 03:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Yes I do. I even worked on a study about establishing an open source region in our area, together with the local university.

Other question: is there any known governance model for OWOS?
Open webOS
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 08:01 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
once the likes of ares2 works fully i would imagine things will get easier, personally i suck with html/css/web stuff in general and when i tried making a set of UI's for simple "beginner" apps i got so damned frustrated because ares was bust and ares2 was nowhere in sight and doing it all manually was and still is utterly alien to me so everything i made looked like dogpoo.

true when i made mods for WoW in lua there was still a GUI issue but i found that rather easy after some time when i got going and information was easy enough to come by, plus like opensource apps, wow lua mods were open to look, investigate and learn from.

even easier than that was the days of using blitz basic and XenGUI editor on the amiga, damned easy to knock up workbench programs to do whatever the hell you wanted, or god forbid you were an amos programmer, a tad more annoying there.

i suppose after all this time im the kind that prefers to knock up non functional mock GUI's first to see how i want things visually laid out first, it often gave me flashes of inspiration to add other things i had not planned originally.

webOS had taught me 1 thing, the "web" and its apps is the future, and i suck making things for it, "web" apps infuriate me, utilising html/jscript/css to me seems a ball of mashed together stuff that each hates the other and often refuses to work well without having to google some forums for assistance every time something doesnt go the way you (i) expect it.

i utterly dispise html/css/jscript because me as an utter nooblet find aquiring "in-date / working" material for it a nightmare, great there is the usual "hello world" or other beginner app that adds some rubbish buttons and other basic stuff but after that ends and you want to do something actually useful, thats where i slam into brick walls, esp on the webOS side of things, im either reading the wrong places or i find sites that assume i know how to use every function they list when in fact im desperate to know how they work in full.

i found several useful sites on jscript and tbh soem werent bad but again id slam my head into a wall when id find many thigns simply did not work as intended and id scour forums to find a "fix", spending far too long for some obscure work around that may or may not work.

webOS apps others make, yeah i love them, find them dead useful, and im always amazed when i see ones with simple and attractive gui's, makes me both glad i can use it and annoying that i cant do similar when i used to be able too on older systems. (maybe its just the creeping old age making me stupid these days).

webOS devs, yeah love them to bits, amazed when they still deliver quality apps to a phone/tablet i enjoy using, the programming side i think ill abandon it, then later decide to try again, get annoyed, fail and give up again, and kinda loop around that way for a while.

btw while im back in a "try again" kinda mood, does anyone know how in the hell you manually add the webOS emulation/images into an up to date virtualbox and have them work? i cant even downgrade from a new version to an old as other things i run dont work on the older versions and ofc webOS doesnt work on the new ones (unless you install the old, have all the entrys added to run them, THEN upgrade, it all works then), i did try a downgrade however there must have been leftovers or something as the old one refused to install properly even when id fully removed the new one (in ubuntu).

im trying to avoid turning my laptops into "dev" machines, id rather just use my normal every day use PC.

/end crazed venting.
Your venting is very therapeutic. I am just starting to learn javascript after not doing any coding (or programming which is the old school term) for 20 years . It's interesting and good for my brain. I will never be a serious developer or quit my daytime job as a doctor. My tech goal is to do what Palm Doc did who wrote some good medical apps for webOS (and Palm OS before) before diversifying to other platforms. It's a creative and cognitive effort and even though webOS world is in critical condition, there are some ways to learn and use some of the crossplatform tools the Open webOS initiative has provided to write apps for other platforms or any future webOS successors (if any). There are worse hobbies I guess!
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 02/08/2013, 12:58 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I see a website with full mouthed ads.

Might be me, but I don't see a direction.
What's the next big step? Where is OWOS going? What about important stuff like Synergy Services for EAS? And generally, what about the ecosystem, are there any plans for anything??
(Not to speak of: when and where will we be able to get devices with OWOS, and not just refurbished Android ones ...)

I know, Gram is supposed to be the "governance instance" for OWOS. So far, I haven't really got the impression, that there is much being moved. Has the LG SmartTV thingy been binned? What else do they have? What are they doing except setting up webpages with their logo on it?

Personally, I think OWOS is really dead. Without the WebOS-Ports and Internals group, the corpse would be long buried.
Old 02/08/2013, 04:02 AM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Dead? I thought Synergy was coming in the OWOS Pro edition that Gr.am announced?
Old 02/08/2013, 05:19 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
I tried it on 2 computers, one I upgraded VirtualBox and it still worked and the other I have a clean install of the newest VirtualBox and it still works.
xtro@Power-PC:/opt/PalmSDK/Current/share/emulator/images$ palm-emulator --list
Available images:
nova-cust-image-sdk2222 (320x400)
nova-cust-image-sdk2222 (320x480)
nova-cust-image-sdk2222 (480x800)
nova-cust-image-sdk3065 (1024x768)
SDK 3.0.5.676 (1024x768)
SDK-2222 (320x400)
SDK-2222 (320x480)
SDK-2222 (480x800)
xtro@Power-PC:/opt/PalmSDK/Current/share/emulator/images$ palm-emulator --start nova-cust-image-sdk3065
palm-emulator: VirtualBox version not supported.
HP webOS Emulator requires a previous version of VirtualBox to be installed.

i get the above when trying to run the palm-emulator on an up to date virtualbox install via terminal, and installing everything as per the sdk instructions doesnt add the entrys to run from virtualbox itsself.
Old 02/13/2013, 06:59 PM   #33 (permalink)

just a quick post to show i fixed my issue with palm-emulator on my ubuntu system, it seems after much looking and failing i narrowed it down to a java issue with the palm-emulator insisting on older versions of some files.

how i fixed (nice and easy)

from the palm/hp SDK, there is a jar file which does all the work, webos-emulator.jar (mine is in /opt/PalmSDK/Current/share/jars)

i extracted the contents of the jar file and found the older versions of the files i required, there are a load of .so files here so i copied them all to /usr/lib/jni.

the "current" versions of these files i have are all libswt-????-gtk-3833.so and the emulator seems to only work with the .so files contained in the jar file which are all libswt-????-gtk-3550.so, i originally just used symlinks from new to old and this did not work, but copying all the correct versions from the jar file worked.

i now managed to run sudo palm-emulator --start "SDK 3.0.5.676 (1024x768)" from terminal and the emulator kicks up perfectly and exports the correct options/settings into my virtualbox which ive now upgraded back to a current version from the required 4.1 version it also insisted on using.

happy days, back to messing with the virtualbox touchpad so i dont break or have to redoctor mine when i break something.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0