webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Looking for suggestion on getting into web os dev
Looking for suggestion on getting into web os dev
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By johncc

Old 01/31/2013, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

hello, I was wondering where is a good place to start for open web os development. i have no programming experience but i am more then willing to learn. also what device is a good for development (is an touch pad a good buy?) other question in regards to this question is if i do learn programming which language should i learn. i hope every has a nice day or night and i look forward to being a good member of this community.
Nick Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

If webOS has a future it will be with Enyo 2. If you have no programming experience, and realising that Javascript (not Java), CSS &nd HTML are it's foundation, I would suggest that you try and get Ares 2 running. It is a graphical IDE, which would allow you to cobble together some applications on your and learn from the code.

Don't worry too much about hardware until things become a bit clearer.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

agree with everything johncc said. Codecademy has some good JavaScript intro courses for free
PrplHaz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Like you i've been studying some Javascript, HTML and CSS hpoing to one day make an app just for the fun of it. And since it has already been mentioned, Codecademy is a good place to start. The more you study it the more you will know what to study next. But actually coding and developing an app... wel that will take some time and patience for me at least. Good luck to you, whatever happens, enjoy your time doing it.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks for the suggestion guys. i was hoping you would tell me if the touch pad was worth buying. or in lieu of that what is a good device to buy.
Nick Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

TP is still a very nice device, especially with LunaCE. Depends on the price, but I would still get it over an Android onky tablet if I needed to choose. I just love webOS. TP can run Android too, so when needed you can dualboot :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 02/01/2013, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

there is a thread on here about getting ares 2.0 up and running.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 02/01/2013, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gibson View Post
thanks for the suggestion guys. i was hoping you would tell me if the touch pad was worth buying. or in lieu of that what is a good device to buy.
The problem re hardware is that Open webOS is not out of beta on any hardware. Certainly get a Touchpad or Pre 3 if you want to get feel for webOS. I have both and am more than happy with them.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus and mattmers like this.
Old 02/02/2013, 05:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The Touchpad still rocks, especially with LunaCE And Enyo 2 apps also run on the Touchpad and run with little to no modification on OpenWebOS so it's a good device to start with Enyo 2
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0