webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Reviving the dead: How Android devices are keeping webOS alive
Reviving the dead: How Android devices are keeping webOS alive
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By laoh

Old 01/29/2013, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
There's an old saying that all good things must come to end, but thatís not always the case in the world of technology. A year after webOS was officially shut down, HP opened it up in hopes that third-party developers would continue development. And sure enough, the Open webOS project, established by HP to help further develop the operating system, is thrivingódespite the prospect of having no new hardware.
Reviving the dead: How Android devices are keeping webOS alive | Ars Technica
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jcmarcos likes this.
Thanked By: jcmarcos
Old 01/29/2013, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice article, the more publicity like this the better!!
g.vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

aye nice article, always strange seeing articles like that outside of our own net of forums, esp at our current stage of being, was expecting maybe a bit of doomsaying but seemed pretty neutral which is nice.
Old 01/30/2013, 03:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

yep, saw this the other day. Quite a balanced article, which we don't often get (if anything) in the webos world.
Old 01/30/2013, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

+1

Keep hope alive!
Old 01/30/2013, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I want more devices ported and usable as a phone etc. My Pre 3 is starting to show the strain and I have an upgrade coming this year. It would be great to upgrade to a modern device with webOS on as well.
Old 01/30/2013, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is relevant and seems to have been researched but I think Ms Ion is jumping the gun. How is the dead being revived? Did webOS die?

Work is being done on the porting front but I would hardly call that 'keeping webOS alive.' webOS is being kept alive by its current users and developers on Pres, Touchpads and Veers - native webOS hardware. That stands to change once we're able to download and install Open webOS on newer hardware. For the past 17 months though, it has been business as usual.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
It is relevant and seems to have been researched but I think Ms Ion is jumping the gun. How is the dead being revived? Did webOS die?

Work is being done on the porting front but I would hardly call that 'keeping webOS alive.' webOS is being kept alive by its current users and developers on Pres, Touchpads and Veers - native webOS hardware. That stands to change once we're able to download and install Open webOS on newer hardware. For the past 17 months though, it has been business as usual.
For all intensive purposes, yes, webOS did die. Whether it really died or not technically is just semantics for arguments sake.

And I'm not sure if Android is keeping webOS alive... as opposed to the hope of it being alive... oops that's just semantics too

Get that 3D acceleration going! It'll be awesome to take a current-gen phone/tablet and have dual boot option like we do with the Touchpad today. I'll use android when I need the apps, webOS for things it can do, like emails and surfing.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0