Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    I posted this in Android Central where the full article is located, but haven't gotten a response yet, so I thought I'd post it here as well...

Do I have this correct: If the phone is purchased unsubsidized (off contract) this law doesn't apply to me?
    From what I read, it is still legal to unlock your phone "with the permission of the carrier" - AT&T should still sell you an unlock code. I bought my phone right out, (Lumia 820) and I'm hoping that after the 6 month exclusivity, they should sell me the code. (I'm planning on taking it with me to Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by darthcircuit View Post
    From what I read, it is still legal to unlock your phone "with the permission of the carrier" - AT&T should still sell you an unlock code. I bought my phone right out, (Lumia 820) and I'm hoping that after the 6 month exclusivity, they should sell me the code. (I'm planning on taking it with me to Australia)
    Save that bill of sale... AT&T will ask for a copy. That makes it almost automatic that you will get the unlock code, especially if you cite foreign travel as the need.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    This really ticks me off.
    I think I'll smoke some legal pot to mellow out.
    Just call me Berd.
    RumoredNow, bimmin and retroblu like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    This really ticks me off.
    I think I'll smoke some legal pot to mellow out.
    We need some kinda Super Moderator to look at that post...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Sounds like another example of how corporations control our government.

It is still legal to buy unlocked phones and carries can unlock phones, a user just can't unlocked their locked phone. I think this was done to prevent people from moving over to the significantly cheaper prepaid plans.
    White House says 'it's time to legalize cell phone unlocking' in official petition response | The Verge

The White House agrees with the 114,000 people that signed the petition (against cellphone unlocking being illegal).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12