webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP sizing up smartphones again...maybe
HP sizing up smartphones again...maybe
Like Tree21Likes

Old 01/24/2013, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Link: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...tphones-again/

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/27/2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: fixed link
deleon469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 04:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleon469 View Post
She says the same thing all the time, very rehearsed
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Rnp, Vistaus
Old 01/24/2013, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

No.

In Dec 2011 she said she does not believe she will be in the phone business again (see below for link).
Then in summer 2012 HP hired the ex Nokia ex MeeGo guy (Torres?) to run their mobility business.
Then in Sept 2012 she does a series of interviews with the press proclaiming that design is important (and they overhauled HP's laptop designs) and that they will have to get back into phones again but not in 2013 and she doesnt know the business model.
Then in q4 2012 HP a study is released that says pc sales are up in a market where most everyone else's are down (google this) and Dell, whose shipments are down in the single digits, is trying to take itself private.

Whitman: HP will make new webOS tablets, eventually, but not smartphones | webOS Nation
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/24/2013, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I LOVE my Veer. I hope with all that I have, that WebOS can get it together and get back into phones. I'm really wanting something powerful like my husband's Android or an iPhone, but don't want to leave WebOS. I've been with you guys for 4 years now and there is no other operating system I want to use. I love the swiping and opening multiple windows. My husband's phone is always getting hung up or frozen and my Veer almost never does. I am keeping my veer and trying to find a TouchPad for a reasonable price, but unfortunately I'll have to switch until HP figures out what it's doing. Just imagine what it would be like had the system not been railroaded! Please HP, don't dismiss WebOS, it''s truly an amazingly easy, seamless and functional system.
knwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, bluenote, pgarcia and 5 others like this.
Old 01/25/2013, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
News Contributor

The good news is HP stills thinking in smartphones. The bad news is HP will still re-sizing all the 2013.

However with positive mind I will ask: Will HP unveil a webOS Open smartphone in CES 2014?
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/25/2013, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
She says the same thing all the time, very rehearsed
Yep she just gives the same statements over and over again - HP aren't worth taking seriously at this stage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
The good news is HP stills thinking in smartphones. The bad news is HP will still re-sizing all the 2013.

However with positive mind I will ask: Will HP unveil a webOS Open smartphone in CES 2014?
No - look at the finances of the company, they aren't going to spunk the many billions needed to be a player in mobile - more likely they get into bed with whoever is most successful at that point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:

Maybe yes... maybe not... only the time can say...

Best Regards...
Old 01/25/2013, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Maybe yes... maybe not... only the time can say...

Best Regards...
I highly doubt HP uses anything other than Windows 8 operating system for any phones they release.
There is no reason to sink money into a phone that has no infrastructure backing. I haven't seen anything from Open WebOS to think it is even close to becoming viable. It's a toy for techies to play with.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
I highly doubt it.
Old 01/25/2013, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

How about android phone with webos dualboot option? I would see HP licensing some other company's phones like HTC which is struggling since HP can't really build stuff well except maybe printers.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 06:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
How about android phone with webos dualboot option? I would see HP licensing some other company's phones like HTC which is struggling since HP can't really build stuff well except maybe printers.
They've been making crap printers too, a lot of their hardware doesn't last over two years...

An HP all-in-one my Mom bought six years ago when she urgently needed a fax machine certainly lived up to the reputation of planned obsolescence, when one day she went to print something and it just started madly thrashing, with the cartridges slamming loudly against the inside walls. It was like the thing was possessed. A quick google search later, it turns out that a sensor has failed, so she just went and bought a Canon, which at this point has been working perfectly for far longer.

And then it's looking like a lot of Veers have had the screen die suddenly or the ribbon cable failed, the absolute opposite of Palm's build quality issue. What good is a solid slider design when the phone's guts wear out before one's carrier contract is up???

Sorry, maybe i have a slightly biased view, but aside from the my 1st gen netbook, the HP Mini 1033cl whose build quality is superb, to me HP hardware == Chinese crap. Stop cutting corners, HP!
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

Sorry, maybe i have a slightly biased view,
Ya think?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 01:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

On the contrary, I have great experience with HP gear, both for professional or home use.

Since HP haven't released even open webOS developer phone (Stingray would be so nice), it's really hard to expect from them any webOS hardware.

Last edited by chalx; 01/26/2013 at 01:22 PM.
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 05:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
Ya think?

I've worked helpdesk/repairman type jobs for many years before going into webdev more or less full time, so i've seen more failed HP gear than that of other brands. Dead or half-dead (unusable) motherboards were the most common issue. That said, i still hold onto a salvage HP Vectra desktop (for sentimental reasons) and that thing is still perfectly bootable, so nothing is black and white

P.S. Three years ago Costco had sent out a coupon on a high spec HP desktop. I went on their website and the machine was rated * out of *****, with a half dozen reviews saying that the machine died suddenly (some covered by warranty, some not). So you know, some models and production runs are lemons and still are, even when you put on rose-colored glasses.

P.P.S. I was lucky with my Netbook, since it wasn't yet a commodity product, but when the price drops and a product rides on its past reputation, you can's always trust blindly
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 07:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
They've been making crap printers too, a lot of their hardware doesn't last over two years...
They make good monitors. I've had my HP w2408 going on 4 years (this spring), and (knock on wood)....it's still going strong. Maybe I just got lucky
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 07:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
I highly doubt it.
Then what will happen if no one (OEMs) picks up webOS Open during 2013 and HP wants to get into the smartphone business?
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 08:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Then what will happen if no one (OEMs) picks up webOS Open during 2013 and HP wants to get into the smartphone business?
....and there's the $1,000,000 question.... they burned a lot of bridges with their last "attempt".
They (L.A.) cancelled the TouchPad, Veer and Pre3 due to underwhelming sales. It would take nothing short of a miracle for them to try it again. All those investors that lost their money will be thinking long and hard before giving an ok to try this again.

Not saying it's 100% impossible, but it's 99.9% unlikely....for now. Who knows I'd like to be proven wrong...I think even 2014 is a bit early.....but what do I know?
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 08:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
....and there's the $1,000,000 question.... they burned a lot of bridges with their last "attempt".
They (L.A.) cancelled the TouchPad, Veer and Pre3 due to underwhelming sales. It would take nothing short of a miracle for them to try it again. All those investors that lost their money will be thinking long and hard before giving an ok to try this again.

Not saying it's 100% impossible, but it's 99.9% unlikely....for now. Who knows I'd like to be proven wrong...I think even 2014 is a bit early.....but what do I know?
+1
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 11:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well Sony's sales seem to get quite substantial lately just like Huawei and ZTE, so it's not impossible gain marketshare as a 'new' player.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0