webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP sizing up smartphones again...maybe
HP sizing up smartphones again...maybe
  Reply
Like Tree21Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01/28/2013, 06:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
That's because it's been forced upon us. You may be happy with settling on this but I'm not. Unfortunately not much I can do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
On a personal level I am indifferent to it - I use a windows phone which has a terrible app market but the discussion is about how HP would make this a success if they came back to the market. As part of that discussion they have to work out how they would come up with an ecosystem which has parity with the competition and how they would finance that.

The real problem is that WebOS failed in the market, now people are going to say "well that is down to HP pulling the plug" but nobody outside the webOS community cares - they simply care it failed and hundred of millions of dollars.

It is not a new OS with potential, it is something with a track record of failure - that is hard to overcome - especially when there are newer OSes which have no track record which oddly makes them more attractive in the same way that the value of many new start-ups is higher before they announce any profits.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 07:46 AM   #42 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,286
Oh, puuuuutzzz... but... but... but... again this story about "there is no ecosystem", bla, bla, bla...????

IPhone has no ecosystem when lauched, Android has no ecosystem when launched, Las Vegas has no ecosystem when launched... Man, have to repeat again, and again, and again is so boring...

I was thinking that this subject was past, no?

And if "is not a new OS with potential", why continue here losting time trying to destroy all hopes about this "dead SO"? What explain The Windows Phone, Android or iOS forums are so bad?

Putzgrila... bring back the same arguments again... if; at least, bring with some new ideas...


Best Regards...
__________________
"If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
(Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Rnp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 08:15 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,523
Agreed.

I don't know if webOS is the answer. Without a major backing I don't see how it can be successful.

However if your point is there is no way for another company to enter the mobile space because of a lack of ecosystem, because that's just the way it is... Then you are right. But if someone can think outside the box, and look at alternatives to an ecosystem, my idea is just one of many that could work. Getting back to hp, I think they are big enough to get back into the mobile space if they do something such as I propose, being an integrator of ecosystems, if they do their proper r and d, and really try.

But I don't think hp is the company to do it...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 08:16 AM   #44 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Oh, puuuuutzzz... but... but... but... again this story about "there is no ecosystem", bla, bla, bla...????

IPhone has no ecosystem when lauched, Android has no ecosystem when launched, Las Vegas has no ecosystem when launched... Man, have to repeat again, and again, and again is so boring...
But they have them now - any new OS is competiting against the now not the then. Which is why we have a duopoly:

Quote:
With various market analysis firms weighing in on end-of-year sales for smart phones, one trend is holding firm: Android and iPhone share a duopoly that controls over 90 percent of the market, leaving just a pittance for alternative platforms like Windows Phone and Blackberry. And that market is humongous, with a record 700 million units sold in 2012.

Strategy Analytics claims that Android controlled over 68 percent of the worldwide smart phone market for all of calendar year 2012, while Apple’s iPhone came in a distant second with over 19 percent. Combined, the two platforms controlled nearly 88 percent of the market for all of 2012.

And their combined dominance only increased throughout the year. In Q4 2011, Android controlled 51 percent of the market, with Apple coming in at 23.6 percent, Strategy Analytics claims, a combined share of 74.6 percent. By Q4 2012, Android market share had surged to over 70 percent, while iPhone came in at 22 percent. Together, these two platforms held over 92 percent of the market heading into 2013.
Android and iPhone Achieve Smart Phone Duopoly

Quote:
And if "is not a new OS with potential", why continue here losting time trying to destroy all hopes about this "dead SO"? What explain The Windows Phone, Android or iOS forums are so bad?
I like to argue.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 10:52 AM   #45 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,286
Using your logical, M$ Window$ control the biggest part of market of PCs.

So, let's gonna leave the Mac OS, Linux, Solaris, etc die... yes... is a great solution...

The ocean is in the biggest part of the planet's surface.

So, let's gonna leave the earth and gonna live in boats...

Quote:
I like to argue
So, in WP, Android and iOS there is no arguments?

Well... Until I can see, the best company to bring more webOS devices; yes, is the HP. But if other company release something, is good to me.

I like webOS, because is a solution that works for me. The company behind is important, but have the solution working in some devices is more important in this first moment...


Best Regards...
__________________
"If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
(Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Rnp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 11:15 AM   #46 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post


So, in WP, Android and iOS there is no arguments?

:
Plenty but I can't be everywhere at once so I tend to argue here, crackberry and WPcentral - I'm equally unpopular in those places.


As for HP's next move.... well if they are willing to try a chromebook...
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 01/28/2013, 01:34 PM   #47 (permalink)
Moderator

 
sledge007's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,335
Here I thought we were special..... In other news Spec sheet shows HP entering Chromebook market - CNET Mobile HP is leaning towards Google.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 02:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1,523
It's pretty clear webOS needs a new owner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 02:20 PM   #49 (permalink)
cgk
Member
 
cgk's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Here I thought we were special..... In other news Spec sheet shows HP entering Chromebook market - CNET Mobile HP is leaning towards Google.
is doing a chromebook a long-term thing or are they trying to make a point to Microsoft? However having done it, it blows another leg off "Well they are windows through and through so will never do an android phone!!".
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 01:12 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 755
The iPhone did have an ecosystem when launched 6 years ago. iTunes In 2007 that was a huge deal.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 01/29/2013, 03:14 AM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
The iPhone did have an ecosystem when launched 6 years ago. iTunes In 2007 that was a huge deal.
^This

And what do you hear EVERY time you show your WebOS device to someone? They will say:
"Can I run [add random app name here] on this device?"
So please, do not fool yourself and think, it is NOT important to have an app-store-market-catalog of some sorts, filled with more than a few essentials.

And as if the wasteland of appcat was not problem enough, HP released OpenWebOS without one of the unique selling points: important synergy services like EAS.

Sorry mates, I like WebOS, but what's left of it seems to be a bad joke or a nice geek-gadget to keep parts of the WebOS-affiliate crowd occupied ...

New devices?
No.
Plan for devices/providers?
No.
Any plan for the future of WebOS communicated by HP?
No.

Why the heck would a developer come to that conclusion "hey let's develop a sh*tload of apps for that platform and earn some serious money"?
Well, they are not. And rightly so. And thus looks the app catalog.

Any questions?
__________________
War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
Buddy1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 04:09 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
^This

And what do you hear EVERY time you show your WebOS device to someone? They will say:
"Can I run [add random app name here] on this device?"
So please, do not fool yourself and think, it is NOT important to have an app-store-market-catalog of some sorts, filled with more than a few essentials.

And as if the wasteland of appcat was not problem enough, HP released OpenWebOS without one of the unique selling points: important synergy services like EAS.

Sorry mates, I like WebOS, but what's left of it seems to be a bad joke or a nice geek-gadget to keep parts of the WebOS-affiliate crowd occupied ...

New devices?
No.
Plan for devices/providers?
No.
Any plan for the future of WebOS communicated by HP?
No.

Why the heck would a developer come to that conclusion "hey let's develop a sh*tload of apps for that platform and earn some serious money"?
Well, they are not. And rightly so. And thus looks the app catalog.

Any questions?
I must live a really sheltered life. Many people have showed off their new phones to me and none has ever said they bought it because of app or ecosystem.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and cujoq37 like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 01/29/2013, 05:44 AM   #53 (permalink)
Rnp
Member
 
Rnp's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,286
To 99% that I show my Pre, Facebook is the "Ecossystem" that all needs.


Best Regards...
__________________
"If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
(Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Rnp is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, laingman and Onanii like this.
Old 01/29/2013, 06:42 AM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
To 99% that I show my Pre, Facebook is the "Ecossystem" that all needs.


Best Regards...
You are so right. I keep hearing that people really need this stuff, but I have never met one in person. Derek is the closet I have come
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 09:43 AM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I must live a really sheltered life. Many people have showed off their new phones to me and none has ever said they bought it because of app or ecosystem.
The term is mostly a geek term and mentioning it to the average phone user would probably elicit thoughts of animals and the environment (those who actually know the non-tech definition of it). In application though, I see the idea gathering steam and gaining mass acceptance. To blame or thank for that are Synergy, iCloud and Google services, among others (Ms?). Some like the idea of books or music purchases showing up on all devices, some dont. A friend of mine was shocked and angered when self-portraits - some semi-clad - from an iPhone were automatically sent to the cloud and then downloaded to an iPad on the same account. Once I explained ecosystem, iCloud and the mess that most are unconsciously getting themselves into, there was a whole lot to think (and read) about.

Honestly, I couldnt care less about ecosystems. Standards, like DLNA and the many bluetooth profiles, are what matter more. They add variety, ensure interoperability and help solve the proprietary, closed systems mess. I dont need device x to be able to talk to only device y because they share a platform. At the same time I sure as heck dont want them sharing my data in some central cloud location. Ecosystems are not for everyone and I actually shun the idea; I've given away i-devices and refuse to use Android or almost anything Google (still use search but only through startpage. com).

As for webOS and its ecosystem, it has been an 18 month experiment for me. Coming from the Palm, Inc. 'glory' days, my PIM data are all still on an old PDA and will remain there for some time. Im waiting to see what Open webOS is like without synergy and HP backup servers. Hopefully if implemented, they will be optional modules.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MDsmartphone likes this.
Old 01/29/2013, 01:04 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
chalx's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,141
Ok, lets assume that there is no need for ecosystem or at least powerfully app catalogue. What is needed for platform to be considered relevant? Powerful browser, robust PIM, fast and powerful document management, versatile multimedia capabilities? What? Maybe fast and stable UI accompanied with set of powerful core apps? Or maybe wide set of connectivity options? Reading this forums for years I'm getting impressions that everything beside ecosystem is fine in webOS land so there is no reason for this situation in which this OS is right now.
I really like webOS. I have bought TP few months ago and gave my Ipad2 to my wife. But not because TP is good product, its because I have limited needs and I like webOS feeling. This filling was and still is only selling point for webOS and this is not enough. It needs serious rebuild almost like creating whole new OS.
And to add, reason why I'm not using webOS phone is not ecosystem, its because I can't set few favorite phones to overrule silent mode at night, I can't open PDF or .xls atachment in reasonable time, use easy way to pay parking via sms, or listen music loud and clear without compromising speed or responsiveness of phone. Also, I can't be 100% that alarm will ring in the morning. All those stuff I can do on IOS, Android, or BBOS, some right out of box and some after installing some app.
__________________

Last edited by chalx; 01/29/2013 at 01:16 PM.
chalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/29/2013, 01:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
...It needs serious rebuild almost like creating whole new OS.
Enter Open webOS Beta 1.0...

It the bare bones of the thing. Like a body off restoration of a car. Lots of work left before it hits the road I fear.
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Ubuntu for Devices --channel=devel
Asus Nexus 7 (2012 WiFi 32GB): Factory Google KitKat 4.4.4 + francoKernel & Xposed
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 04:37 PM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Ok, lets assume that there is no need for ecosystem or at least powerfully app catalogue. What is needed for platform to be considered relevant? Powerful browser, robust PIM, fast and powerful document management, versatile multimedia capabilities? What? Maybe fast and stable UI accompanied with set of powerful core apps? Or maybe wide set of connectivity options? Reading this forums for years I'm getting impressions that everything beside ecosystem is fine in webOS land so there is no reason for this situation in which this OS is right now.
I really like webOS. I have bought TP few months ago and gave my Ipad2 to my wife. But not because TP is good product, its because I have limited needs and I like webOS feeling. This filling was and still is only selling point for webOS and this is not enough. It needs serious rebuild almost like creating whole new OS.
And to add, reason why I'm not using webOS phone is not ecosystem, its because I can't set few favorite phones to overrule silent mode at night, I can't open PDF or .xls atachment in reasonable time, use easy way to pay parking via sms, or listen music loud and clear without compromising speed or responsiveness of phone. Also, I can't be 100% that alarm will ring in the morning. All those stuff I can do on IOS, Android, or BBOS, some right out of box and some after installing some app.
Webos needs rebuild? Its just the greatest operating system ever built, they just need to finish it by fixing the shortcomings you mentioned and some others.

Iphone is the one that needs to be rebuilt if you ask me. Its barely smartphone. Four finger swipe, what I look like
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 11:54 AM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 820
Someone please go find a dev leak on reddit or something! Feed us something!
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 02:47 PM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 755
Does the facebook app work on WebOS 2 and above?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0