webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP sizing up smartphones again...maybe
HP sizing up smartphones again...maybe
Like Tree21Likes

Old 01/27/2013, 01:20 AM   #21 (permalink)

That's why I said it was unlikely, not impossible. Isn't the Xperia an Android 4.1 phone? Not to mention water-tight (immerse in water for 30 minutes with zero damage), a 5" screen and a 13MP camera? Is that what you were talking about? I'm guessing because I just read they (Sony) are expecting to ship 50M smartphones next year.
While the player may be new, the OS isn't.

Huawei....also Android.
ZTE launching Firefox later this year, and already with Android.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 03:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
That's why I said it was unlikely, not impossible. Isn't the Xperia an Android 4.1 phone? Not to mention water-tight (immerse in water for 30 minutes with zero damage), a 5" screen and a 13MP camera? Is that what you were talking about? I'm guessing because I just read they (Sony) are expecting to ship 50M smartphones next year.
While the player may be new, the OS isn't.

Huawei....also Android.
ZTE launching Firefox later this year, and already with Android.
Agree all Android but it DOES mean there's still room for other players to gain marketshare in the mobile space overall. Android is huge but it for sure has it's flaws too...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/27/2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 05:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleon469 View Post
HP's Meg Whitman seen at Best Buy trying to decide between an Iphone and Galaxy S III.
astark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 06:15 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astark View Post
HP's Meg Whitman seen at Best Buy trying to decide between an Iphone and Galaxy S III.
That's a hard choice to make. Both them suck so bad
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 06:28 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
Then what will happen if no one (OEMs) picks up webOS Open during 2013 and HP wants to get into the smartphone business?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
....and there's the $1,000,000 question.... they burned a lot of bridges with their last "attempt".
They (L.A.) cancelled the TouchPad, Veer and Pre3 due to underwhelming sales. It would take nothing short of a miracle for them to try it again. All those investors that lost their money will be thinking long and hard before giving an ok to try this again.

Not saying it's 100% impossible, but it's 99.9% unlikely....for now. Who knows I'd like to be proven wrong...I think even 2014 is a bit early.....but what do I know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Well Sony's sales seem to get quite substantial lately just like Huawei and ZTE, so it's not impossible gain marketshare as a 'new' player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Agree all Android but it DOES mean there's still room for other players to gain marketshare in the mobile space overall. Android is huge but it for sure has it's flaws too...
All I was getting at, is that there's room for more device manufacturers. What difference does marketshare really mean between different manufacturers of the same OS?

Different hardware specs, different colors, different sizes, same OS. Usually when we talk marketshare, we're talking OS's. When polls are taken on what kind of phone you're using, most of the ones I've seen aren't subdivided by manufacturer, just by OS.

I guess we'll see how things play out with BB10, Firefox, Ubuntu phones and whatever ones I'm forgetting at 4AM

It would be great to see more diversification, it's what drives innovation
Old 01/27/2013, 07:21 AM   #26 (permalink)

Market doesn't matter, just need to make a profit somehow. Make them expensive and your slogan is the best phone made. There is precedence for this
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 01/27/2013, 10:21 AM   #27 (permalink)

Were they ever not expensive? Pretty sure the original Palm Pre- was $600 with no contract up here when it came out.
Old 01/27/2013, 11:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Market doesn't matter, just need to make a profit somehow. Make them expensive and your slogan is the best phone made. There is precedence for this
Is there? How does that work in 2013?

"Buy the most expensive phone ever!"*

* No ecosystem included.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 11:54 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post

* No ecosystem included.
Not in smartphone business, but in general there's plenty of companies who have didly for market share but have carved out a niche selling really expensive products and do very well. Apple computers (macs) bose, rolls royce, the list goes on

Bose figured out how to sell their products and maybe some of that kinda thing is possible with smartphones. Or not

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/28/2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01/27/2013, 02:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Not in smartphone business, but in general there's plenty of companies who have didly for market share but have carved out a niche selling really expensive products and do very well. Apple computers (macs) bose, rolls royce, the list goes on

Bose figured out how to sell their products and maybe some of that kinda thing is possible with smartphones. Or not

Bose and Rolls Royce are complete in themselves, Macs have a deep ecosystem - by and large, a WebOS device (at the moment) would have very little expect for apps by one man bands and the like. Now HP *could* overcome that in the same way that Blackberry is trying to overcome it by throwing money at developers but anyone see that actually happening? No me neither.
Old 01/27/2013, 03:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Bose and Rolls Royce are complete in themselves, Macs have a deep ecosystem - by and large, a WebOS device (at the moment) would have very little expect for apps by one man bands and the like. Now HP *could* overcome that in the same way that Blackberry is trying to overcome it by throwing money at developers but anyone see that actually happening? No me neither.
We saw that throwing money before and it didn't help much did it? Developers came, took their prize money and left again. I'm currently working on my first Enyo 2 app for webOS. After this I'll continue with nr. 2 etc until I have covered at least the top 5 or 10 apps for my country :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/27/2013, 05:02 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Really now. How many apps one really need. Hp just needs to figure it out and stick with it but I'm sure they won't. They'll be saying oh lord where we gonna 2 million apps from just like you

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/28/2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01/27/2013, 05:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Really now. How many apps one really need. Hp just needs to figure it out and stick with it but I'm sure they won't. They'll be saying oh lord where we gonna 2 million apps from just like you
But we played this " nobody wants more than 5 apps/just use browser" before - it wasn't convincing before and repeating it doesn't make it more likely now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/28/2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01/27/2013, 05:49 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
But we played this " nobody wants more than 5 apps/just use browser" before - it wasn't convincing before and repeating it doesn't make it more likely now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
You seem to believe that webos didn't take off because of apps/ecosytem whatever. I don't know about that. I think we are where we are now because hp quit

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/28/2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01/27/2013, 05:55 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
You seem to believe that webos didn't take off because of apps/ecosytem whatever. I don't know about that. I think we are where we are now because hp quit
Uh, webOS failed for so many reasons.
Old 01/27/2013, 11:07 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:

* No ecosystem included.
Personally, I DONT CARE ABOUT ECOSYSTEMS!

To be honest, this was one of the draws for me with webOS. I'd rather not be tied down to any ecosystem but rather have a way to use "synergy" to bring all of my stuff together into one device...a mobile device.

Back when webOS first came out the concept of an app and content ecosystem was in its early days. Many people buying smartphones then did so as a natural evolution of their PDAs. Palm introduced a way to bring all of your information from yahoo, google, exchange, facebook etc into one MOBILE device. This had always been possible in some way or the other on the desktop but not in the mobile space...atleast not as elegantly and effectively as webOS promised. Just look back the introduction of webOS in 2009 at CES and you can easily see how this was a major praise for webOS...not so much on app or content ecosystems...this wasnt a priority then.

Fast forward to now and many people are tied down to iOS or android or microsoft ecosystems because of apps or music/videos/books they've bought. Its incovenient to move from one system to another, even despite efforts by amazon, google, dropbox, etc with their cloud solutions.. Here too palm was the first smartphone to offer cloud services, though in a rudimentary way.

I'd rather have a MOBILE device that allows me to bring in my music, videos, pics, books along with my email, calenders, contacts all in one place, ie synergy. Id still pay company X for their music downloads and company Y to store my photos...but have a way to have it in ONE place. Sure there are ways to do this on every mobile platform now but not elegantly or in my opinion, easily. Just look at the example of accessing google services on windows phones, or getting songs downloaded on itunes into other music services.

Re apps, if mobile web versions of companies' apps were still a priority I dont think much would be missed, especially with high speed LTE becoming more common and with faster device processors. But alas it seems that for the most part the mobile web has caved into "apps" due to better profits with the latter. I can easily do banking on a mobile website as an app, or access a restaurant guide, or use google maps mobile site, or check medical drug databases such as epocrates, or watch a youtube video, or even work on a word processor such as google docs if their respective websites were compatibile with many mobile browsers. Games are a different story but many people dont buy smartphones to play games only.

Long story short, if a company introduces a mobile platform without focusing too much on ONE ecosystem, with its high costs to set up, and instead figures out a way to make things flexible for people like me who dont want it all tied to one company, to bring it all together into one device, they would have my money. Focus on making strong CORE apps...email, calender, tasks, music player, video player, web browser, ebook reader, picture viewer/editor....Once upon a time I was hoping Palm would do this, but they didnt have the money and resources (manpower and money) and carrier support needed...and I was hoping HP would do this, but they didnt have the guts or the willpower or even possible dare I say it the know how to do it...

Hopefully someone will figure this out, I'm a physician...I dont have the tech knowledge to know if any of the above is even possible...but even steve jobs believed in a reality distortion, and I think it is possible in the future...I just hope its running open webOS of course. Swipe, just type, synergy...oh my!
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by steven_farkas and RumoredNow like this.
Old 01/27/2013, 11:54 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
That's a hard choice to make. Both them suck so bad
And yet, they pretty much are the smartphone market. HP certainly didn't think so. They decided they couldn't compete and so pulled out.
ADGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 02:42 AM   #38 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
Personally, I DONT CARE ABOUT ECOSYSTEMS!

In 2013, it is like saying "I don't care about colour TV" - you are welcome to hold that view but it's largely meaningless in terms of someone having a successful OS. Not only has the train left the station, it's been to its destination and is not on the way back.
Old 01/28/2013, 05:43 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
And yet, they pretty much are the smartphone market. HP certainly didn't think so. They decided they couldn't compete and so pulled out.
Wonder which phone Meg uses. And if she ever carried a palm/hp phone
Old 01/28/2013, 05:58 AM   #40 (permalink)

That's because it's been forced upon us. You may be happy with settling on this but I'm not. Unfortunately not much I can do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0