webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Gesture replacement
Gesture replacement
Like Tree1Likes

Old 02/13/2013, 09:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Agree, don't need that. Webos is damn near perfect the way it is now. Only thing I see we could use is the return of the mini cards on phones.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 04:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

I posted this to show that a Swiping down gesture is posible to use. I am already thinking that this gesture (Swiping down) is the best solution to replace the back gesture on gesture area. On Meego this gesture rules (?), in consequence have to rule on OpenWebos too (??).
juanobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 06:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanobb View Post
I posted this to show that a Swiping down gesture is posible to use. I am already thinking that this gesture (Swiping down) is the best solution to replace the back gesture on gesture area. On Meego this gesture rules (?), in consequence have to rule on OpenWebos too (??).
Well webos does recognize the swipe down gesture or else it would not bounce back up, I think. So that's a start for you
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 07:20 AM   #24 (permalink)

OK. What use do you have in mind? For iOS and Android it is notifications. For Windows RT it's Menu. Both notifications and menu are easy enough to access without the use of a gesture. In 3.x those items can actually be activated with the same gesture. So the typical use case is already fulfilled.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 07:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

uploadfromtaptalk1360849474515.jpg

The gesture consist on a quickly movement from the inside of the screen to down.
Old 02/14/2013, 10:14 AM   #26 (permalink)

I didn't say how it would be done, I want to know what it would do. And I thought we've established that the current system works?

BTW, I noticed on my Samsung Galaxy S2X that the touch buttons are disabled if I swipe from screen and down on the buttons. So there is a big enough chance for over swiping that Samsung thought it's worth considering, just as I would consider why this gesture isn't a good idea.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/14/2013, 10:23 AM   #27 (permalink)

This gesture is to replace the virtual gesture area. Currently, the virtual gesture area only serves to emulate the gesture back. With this new gesture would not be necessary to include a virtual gesture area. With only two gestures: swipe up and swipe down, we can use the system.
Old 02/14/2013, 10:51 AM   #28 (permalink)

Didn't we go through this already? The gesture area actually have four functions: Center for closing system modal dialogue boxes and jump to card view and toggle launcher, swipe up for card view and launcher, left for back, and right for forward. Left and right gestures are also used to scroll through apps on card view. While not all of those may be implemented in Open webOS, those gestures have traditionally been present. How does your gesture system accommodate for all the functions of the gestures?
Old 02/14/2013, 11:58 AM   #29 (permalink)

I had a Palm Pre and never used forward gesture, Center gesture I don't know exists and in fact, never used. The touchpad have not virtual gesture area and Only lacks a back gesture. I'm simply propose a gesture that can be implemented on phone without have to implement a whole virtual gesture area. I don't want to insist, i Only want to You understood my idea.
Old 02/14/2013, 01:03 PM   #30 (permalink)

Fair enough. I just object to the specific gesture suggested. I'm sure there can be other gestures that are less ambiguous.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0