webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > SDK for open webos?
SDK for open webos?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By endamcgrath

Old 01/17/2013, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi, I'm fairly new to webOS and currently attempting to develop a web app.

For the HP webOS it seems i can use the provided SDK with the appropriate commands such as palm-package, palm-install and etc. But for the open webOS, I could not find any matching SDKs.

Can we simply use the HP's SDK to make an ipk file and run apps?
jaychung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes you can :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/18/2013, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

What I would recommend is building an Enyo2 app. That way it will work cross platform.
Once you have built and tested your app you can use phonegap build to create the different packages.

Read more at enyojs.com and build.phonegap.com

Here is a brief summary in case you are not familiar with webos history.

mojo was the original framework that was used on palm/hp phones (not supported on openwebos).
Enyo1 was used on the touchpad and to some extent on the veer and Pre3 (supported in openwebos)
Enyo2 is future and works on ALL platforms.

Note depending on what your app does it may not work on openwebos yet (media support is coming soon).

The great thing about this approach is that there is no cost to you the developer to create the packages. You can use chrome or jsfiddle for debugging your enyo code and support is readily available on the forums.

I hope this helps, let me know if I can help you in any way.

@endamcgrath
endamcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary, Isandunk, Garrett92C and 1 others like this.
Thanked by dignitary, Garfonso, Vistaus
Old 01/20/2013, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi, awesome. Thanks for the bits on the history.

I would like to know more about the differences between HP webOS and open webOS.

Trying to look for sources pointing to these. For example, synergy and in app purchase services do not seem to be supported. Any help would be appreciated.
jaychung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The basis of Synergy should be running, however the only Synergy capable apps that are included are Mail and Calendar.

Depending on what you're running Open webOS on (desktop is probably easiest), you don't even need to ipk things, just copy them to the /usr/palm/applications/your.app.id/ directory .

I'm not even sure if any devices have the palm-* tools running yet, since they require novacom, and i don't know if anyone has novacom working on device yet.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0