webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Potential device: Stick computers
Potential device: Stick computers
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 2 Post By NuttyBunny

Old 01/17/2013, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was reading a Slashdot summary on Dell's Ophelia computer, and read in the comments that something similar exists already. It's basically a computer around the size of a USB stick, that plugs into a HDMI port on, say, a TV, and is powered by USB. Dell wants to make it so you can run any operating system over the Internet, but at its core it's an Android device. So replace Android with Open webOS, and you'll be able to use it anywhere with a TV.

Sample of existing devices off Aliexpress: Wholesale android usb pc - Buy Low Price android usb pc Lots on Aliexpress.com
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/17/2013, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thus... let the "can we suggest to HP where to 'stick' those computers?" jokes begin...

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I was reading a Slashdot summary on Dell's Ophelia computer, and read in the comments that something similar exists already. It's basically a computer around the size of a USB stick, that plugs into a HDMI port on, say, a TV, and is powered by USB. Dell wants to make it so you can run any operating system over the Internet, but at its core it's an Android device. So replace Android with Open webOS, and you'll be able to use it anywhere with a TV.

Sample of existing devices off Aliexpress: Wholesale android usb pc - Buy Low Price android usb pc Lots on Aliexpress.com
I just leave it right here:
posted on the Hp/gram Donation article

Posted by Onanii on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 8:12 pm EST

nice initiative commin from HP/GRAM !!!
a man can dream
The only thing I need is Them to release at the end of the CES :
-HDMI/TV dongle kinda like those Android ones
(there's Dual-core nearly out)in partnership with LG and
...BOOM ... there you have a Killer LG/GRAM Product ;
Aka KgGram
I could already see the logo and the catchphrase "Innovation that weight"
Xplosion!!!
Onanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

an even more mini rasberry pi?

would need some good budget bluetooth mice/keyboard devices to accompany it or a decent usb hub with normal mouse/keyboard and ofc a cheap hdmi tv/monitor.

not sure if they will take off as much as a rasberry pi, suppose the "android" part being the make or break feature, but is their niche supposed to be the budget gimmick or something different?

as long as its better than some of the tv/set top box android based devices ive seen (well ive seen 2 of them), ones i saw looked ok, but damn they were a faff with their remote controls taking forever to type stuff in and they froze/crashed quite a lot.
Old 01/17/2013, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I already have an U1A. It's an Android 4.0.4 stick with an Allrunner A10 processor with a MALI400 graphics processor. It's fast enough for basic stuff as a computer, and you can use it with Android or Ubuntu.

It should be a matter of time before we see openwebOS on these little beasts :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and kataran like this.
Thanked by Rnp, RumoredNow
Old 01/18/2013, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

ARM "stick" computers all seem to be available with Android and Ubuntu from Linaro. I'm not aware of any Open Embedded option.

I purchased a Cotton Candy (Exynos 4210) with the intent of building the Ubuntu-based, desktop version of Open webOS for it. On paper, the concept is cool. However, the current hardware has some unfortunate design issues. In addition, the company producing this device has been even worse than Palm at delivering anything remotely close to a stable OEM software release on any kind of reliable schedule.
Old 01/18/2013, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
ARM "stick" computers all seem to be available with Android and Ubuntu from Linaro. I'm not aware of any Open Embedded option.

I purchased a Cotton Candy (Exynos 4210) with the intent of building the Ubuntu-based, desktop version of Open webOS for it. On paper, the concept is cool. However, the current hardware has some unfortunate design issues. In addition, the company producing this device has been even worse than Palm at delivering anything remotely close to a stable OEM software release on any kind of reliable schedule.
if their allwinner based, maybe check out the chat thats been posted in 72ka's thread on his porting open webOS to allwinner based tablets, maybe there is some reuseable resources/info for you to be had, if their allwinner based then the biggest difference between his project and ones related to these stick devices is that 1 has touchscreen and one doesnt?

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...10-tablet.html
Old 01/18/2013, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe not having touch makes things easier on the driver side since there's one less input. But someone then has to implement a cursor or something.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Maybe not having touch makes things easier on the driver side since there's one less input. But someone then has to implement a cursor or something.
This makes sense for the touchscreen indeed.

if those sticks are android based ittl be in there as standard maybe? i recall my allwinner sanei n83 refusing to install a required cm10 compatability.zip which activated touchscreen, yet when i put in a usb mouse as a last resort the mouse worked from the word go.

Which thankfully was a godsend as i then used the mouse to fix the issue i had with the sdcard not being recognised by recovery flash software, so manually used busybox to create a mount that pointed to the right location.

the touchscreen not functioning as standard on allwinner tablets is a reason i have yet to install cm10 on my 7" allwinner based MID tablet as there is no clear way to ID the tablet and they all seem to need a perfectly working compatability.zip to fix the touchscreen, tho ive tried and again the usb mouse/keyboard combo works for the day i try and the touchscreen fails once more.
Old 01/27/2013, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

be sweet to see it ported to those, they're pretty cheap and would be great to make a computer/tv distro of open webos...or webos community edition.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

webostvstick.jpg

Imagination and gimp got the best of me :/
Old 01/27/2013, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Perhaps something with the Live distro could be used here? http://www.webosnation.com/open-webo...istro-video-x2
Old 01/27/2013, 09:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
I believe we are all talking about a micro computer that plugs into out tv, I was just making the comment about computer distro because it will be more based on keyboard and mouse input and not touch interface.

Edited the pic to represent more to what I believe we are all saying.
webostvstickedit.jpg

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0