webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Exchange Active Sync (EAS) Synergy in OpenWebOS
Exchange Active Sync (EAS) Synergy in OpenWebOS
Like Tree3Likes

Old 01/14/2013, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

As we all know HP removed all the propretary code when opensourcing webOS which includes MS EAS connector which is on top even binary.

So besides beeing removed for EAS there is the problem that code isn't even available, so for the longer term it can't be enhanced to fit newer exchange versions or functions (e.g. Notes/Memo sync).

Are there any plans or achievements putting back the synergy account structure and together with it the 3.x EAS binaries to have at least these functions?
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm interested too in EAS integration into Synergy. As far as I know, Open webOS does have the Synergy framework, but there's just a client for regular e-mail (POP3 and IMAP, I believe). Am I wrong?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

I haven't seen an open source client connector to exchange servers. Even with Chatter email you had to buy the activesync license.

Personally, I think google dropped EAS support on their servers because they have to pay MS per user license fees.

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Tweaks enabled)
Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are some mobile server side implementations that exist. I have played with Zarafa: Z-Push - open source push technology One could implement the client side of that. I suspect it would accomplish a lot of features (but not all Exchange features, specifically security).

Z-Push (what Zarafa uses) is open source, to my knowledge.
Old 01/14/2013, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have seen a few server side options, seems they rely on the use of EAS clients of the mobile OS.

I would imagine corporate exchange support, especially the security requirements would be a high priority.

I think the best hope is that Gram releases something. Hopefully, they won't just license it for the OEM.

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Tweaks enabled)
Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Having no EAS would be showstopper for me. I'm on Zarafa now and therefore relying on Active Sync. So for now webOS 2.x is still sufficient for me, but all those ports on other phones are kind of useless for others too when no synergy services (EAS, Google API, CardDAV/CalDav, SyncML, Facebook...) are there.

gram do something
Old 01/23/2013, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'd say the most important synergy client would be Cal/CardDav. With that you should get most modern backends to work (including Google and Facebook). CalDav currently really is the way to go.

CalDav is based on WebDav which is based on HTTP requests... so basically this is quite something "natural" for webOS, which makes me wonder why there is no client for webOS.... :-(
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2013, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

No EAS would also be a showstopper for me as well, but truthfully, no CDMA was the first showstopper, because I can't give up Sprint for reasons already stated.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 02:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Don't expect Gram to release Exchange, for two reasons: 1. Microsoft licensing issues, 2. cutting into a business product that they can offer.

The best way that this is going to happen is if someone steps up and implements it (such as with z-push, or any other tools). Otherwise, it won't happen.
Old 01/29/2013, 03:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

@dkirker: I concur and add: that's sadly so.
Old 01/29/2013, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

could something from our 3.x webOS doctors be transferred to open webOS?
Old 01/29/2013, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
could something from our 3.x webOS doctors be transferred to open webOS?
Theoretically yes... Would need to be tested though, I remember some users here did some initial tests but I don't recall with which components...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/30/2013, 12:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

I was playing a little with exchange components on open webOS first x86 build. Managed to copy some files from 3.x webOS doctor, and to have exchange accounts setup on open webOS, but I didn't have internet connection to test it. My open webOS build can't use Unbuntu's internet connection.
Old 01/31/2013, 04:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Issue would be copy right infringement, I guess.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 04:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Issue would be copy right infringement, I guess.
I believe that no, if you have some webOS device.

Best Regards...
Old 02/07/2013, 02:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

As i know have a TouchPad to test, i found out copying the Tasks app of 2.x to 3.x brings back nearly all the missing tasks functions, even EAS sync.

Copyright issues would be no prob i think, cause for those of us in the community who really try OpenwebOS will get it as opensource version and could take other stuff out of legally obtained doctors. We just need a way to cut the framework stuff out and make it work with openwebOS.

For all others business/payed users gram has to think about it adding/licencing it back to openwebOS.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/02/2013, 10:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

I've upgraded ubuntu and now cant build desktop open webOS. I will play with it when I get more free time.
Old 03/02/2013, 12:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I had the same problem this week! I think they broke something recently. I tried 12.04 x86 and x64 without luck

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 03/04/2013, 02:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeyggn View Post
I haven't seen an open source client connector to exchange servers.
It's not Microsoft to blame, all the contrary. Or when people started making their own Messenger clients, Microsoft did nothing to stop them. Timed passed by, Microsoft let Mesenger die (amazing, as it came out as the king of instant messaging), some other comes up with something as silly as WhatsApp, and attempts to block third party clients. Pathetic.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 03/04/2013, 06:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rnp

Hey... so... there is no Exchange Activesync Client for Linux?

And; yes, I never has looking for... until now.

Best Regards...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0