webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Exchange Active Sync (EAS) Synergy in OpenWebOS
Exchange Active Sync (EAS) Synergy in OpenWebOS
Like Tree3Likes

Old 03/05/2013, 05:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
Hey... so... there is no Exchange Activesync Client for Linux?

And; yes, I never has looking for... until now.

Best Regards...
Most people I know, just use web access if it is allowed on the servers. That way you get access to the global address book.

I used to use thunderbird and a thunderbird plugin a long time ago, but I think that was a screen scraper type. It logged into the web server in the background and used http requests to get the email. The same way the webMail Yahoo plugin works.

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 05:44 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantid View Post
It logged into the web server in the background and used http requests to get the email.
One more evidence that people prefer to hack Exchange's web pages instead of talking the proper EAS protocol, which is documented. I wonder why that Thunderbird plugin used that horrid way of doing things. Perhaps because the protocol is too much of a hassle, if you just want quick and dirty e-mail access? Then, why not using IMAP, or SMTP/POP3 (horror)?

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 06:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
One more evidence that people prefer to hack Exchange's web pages instead of talking the proper EAS protocol, which is documented. I wonder why that Thunderbird plugin used that horrid way of doing things. Perhaps because the protocol is too much of a hassle, if you just want quick and dirty e-mail access? Then, why not using IMAP, or SMTP/POP3 (horror)?
I think they go that route because it's easier and it's not subject to licensing. IMAP, SMTP, and POP3 are not allowed at my workplace. It was a big deal for the security group to allow web access.

I don't think MS would let an Open Source EAS client live -- it's been around too long for there not to be an attempt at making one. But there doesn't seem to be one out there. Check out this blog:
New to Exchange ActiveSync Development? - Dan's WebDAV 101 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

There are many reasons to use the web versus EAS. Personally, I use it because I have to -- my linux workstation is not company standard, nor is my home desktop. That means I can't use the MS Outlook EAS connections to the server -- my machines do not meet the security requirement standards. They are not insecure, they are just not single boot windows XP SP3, running a specific version of commercial anti-virus and firewall applications. It's just the nature of the beast with large corporations not involved in software development (85,000 people) that work place standards are a several years behind. I get to live outside those standards, because it's part of my job description to work in non-standard environments.

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 07:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Specifically for calendar/notes/tasks syncing EAS is a really good protocol (very fast and relieable) compared to google sync (which i'm also using with frantids patch...). And synergy can show all it's power on webOS with EAS. On top besides the real MS Exchange Server, there are several 'own-cloud' groupware server-products having EAS as connector. All this said i'm no MS [email protected] my job is rather to hack on Linux bash.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/05/2013, 12:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Most of the existing Exchange connectors for Linux desktops, like Evolution, use an Outlook protocol (MAPI, EWS, and related protocols) rather than EAS. The reason is that EAS is geared towards downloading and syncing some subset of your Exchange data while the Outlook protocols can access everything on the server that Outlook can, including configuring server-side mail filters, advanced meeting scheduling (free/busy, room reservation, on behalf of), etc.
greenoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 03:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I had the same problem this week! I think they broke something recently. I tried 12.04 x86 and x64 without luck

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
I've managed to build desktop on 12.4. In my case problem was in fifth step of prerequisites. I was just copy paste apt-get install xcb.. from build/openwebos desktop git-hub, but it was for Ubuntu 11.x
correct one is this: sudo apt-get install xcb libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-sync0-dev libxcb1-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-image0-dev libxcb-render-util0-dev libxcb-icccm4-dev

now, I just have to find time to play with accounts on desktop build.
Old 03/15/2013, 08:24 AM   #27 (permalink)

Copying accounts and services from extracted webos-doctor to desktop build didn't work. Now in open webOS desktop build I have option to add EAS account, but in detailed configuration I still only have option for POP or IMAP account setting.
Inside luna-desktop-binaries folder, there is MOJOMAIL sub folder. Inside MOJOMAIL folder there are IMAP, SMTP and POP subfolders. I think there should be added EAS folder also, but I can't find corresponding folder in webos-doctor from which I would copy it to the MOJOMAIL sub folder inside luna-desktop-binaries folder.
Old 03/15/2013, 09:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

well the binary is in : /usr/bin/mojomail-eas
see also: Exchange + Google (Calendar) working!

but there is no such https://github.com/openwebos/mojomail structure in the 3.0.5, well it is not openwebOS:

here are the locations of "mojomail" or "eas" files:

Quote:
Searching for "mojomail"...
\sbin\logctld_collect_all.sh
\usr\bin\mojomail-eas
\usr\bin\mojomail-eas-debug
\usr\bin\mojomail-imap
\usr\bin\mojomail-imap-debug
\usr\bin\mojomail-pop
\usr\bin\mojomail-smtp
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-common.control
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-eas.control
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-eas.list
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-eas.md5sums
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-imap.control
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-imap.list
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-imap.md5sums
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-pop.control
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-pop.list
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-pop.md5sums
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-smtp.control
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-smtp.list
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-smtp.md5sums
\usr\lib\ipkg\lists\oe-armv7
\usr\lib\ipkg\status
\usr\share\dbus-1\system-services\com.palm.eas.service
\usr\share\dbus-1\system-services\com.palm.imap.service
\usr\share\dbus-1\system-services\com.palm.pop.service
\usr\share\dbus-1\system-services\com.palm.smtp.service
\usr\share\ls2\roles\prv\com.palm.eas.json
\usr\share\ls2\roles\prv\com.palm.imap.json
\usr\share\ls2\roles\prv\com.palm.pop.json
\usr\share\ls2\roles\prv\com.palm.smtp.json
30 occurance(s) found.

Searching for "eas"...
\etc\palm\backup\com.palm.eas
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.calendar.eas
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.calendarevent.eas
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.contact.eas
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.contactset.eas
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.eas.account
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.email.eas
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.folder.eas
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.securitypolicy.eas
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.task.eas
\etc\palm\db\kinds\com.palm.tasklist.eas
\etc\palm\db\permissions\com.palm.securitypolicy
\etc\palm\db\permissions\com.palm.securitypolicy.eas
\etc\palm\db\permissions\com.palm.task
\etc\palm\db\permissions\com.palm.tasklist
\sbin\logctld_collect_all.sh
\usr\bin\BluetoothMonitor
\usr\bin\LunaSysMgr
\usr\bin\LunaSysService
\usr\bin\media-pipeline
\usr\bin\mediaserver
\usr\bin\migrate-mountcrypt.sh
\usr\bin\mojomail-eas
\usr\bin\mojomail-eas-debug
\usr\bin\unmigrate-mountcrypt.sh
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\com.palm.service.backup.list
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\com.palm.service.backup.md5sums
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojo.list
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojocommon.list
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojocommon.md5sums
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-eas.control
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-eas.list
\usr\lib\ipkg\info\mojomail-eas.md5sums
\usr\lib\ipkg\lists\oe-armv7
\usr\lib\ipkg\status
\usr\lib\libicudata.so.36.0
\usr\lib\luna\system\luna-applauncher\app\RemoteContactSearch.js
\usr\lib\luna\system\luna-systemui\stylesheets\dashboard.css
\usr\lib\ossinfo\Open Source Information.pdf
\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.bluetoothtab\app\models\Bluetooth.js
\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.contactsmojo\app\controllers\list-assistant.js
\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.contactsmojo\app\views\list\list-scene.html
\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.contactsmojo\javascripts\Utilities.js
\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.phone\resources\fr.json
\usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.searchpreferences\app\SearchPreferencesApp.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\calendar.dta\submission\17\concatenated.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\calendar.dta\submission\17\javascript\import.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\calendar.io\submission\27\concatenated.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\calendar.io\submission\27\javascript\import.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\contacts\submission\114\concatenated.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\contacts\submission\114\javascript\Person.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\contacts\submission\114\javascript\properties\PersonPhotos.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\contacts\submission\114contacts.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\contacts.ui\submission\39\concatenated.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\contacts.ui\submission\39\javascript\Utilities\AccountList.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\contacts.ui\submission\39\stylesheets\list.css
\usr\palm\frameworks\contacts.ui\submission\39\templates\peoplepicker\peoplepicker-scene.html
\usr\palm\frameworks\contacts.ui\submission\39contacts_ui.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\enyo\0.10\framework\lib\accounts\source\get-accounts.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\enyo\0.10\framework\lib\contactsui\Logic\AccountListEnyo.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\builtins\palmcontactsVersion1_0.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\submissions\506\images\del.sh
\usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\submissions\506\stylesheets\global-iconography.css
\usr\palm\frameworks\tasks\submission\18\concatenated.js
\usr\palm\frameworks\tasks\submission\18\javascript\import.js
\usr\palm\ipkgs\com.palm.app.email\com.palm.app.email_3.0.13600_all.ipk
\usr\palm\ipkgs\com.palm.app.enyo-findapps_5.0.2900_all.ipk
\usr\palm\ipkgs\com.palm.app.messaging\com.palm.app.messaging_3.0.6606_all.ipk
\usr\palm\ipkgs\com.palm.app.musicplayer\com.palm.app.musicplayer_3.0.8000_all.ipk
\usr\palm\ipkgs\com.quickoffice.ar_10.3.484_ARM_release-arm.ipk
\usr\palm\public\accounts\com.palm.eas\com.palm.eas.json
\usr\palm\public\accounts\com.palm.eas\resources\de\com.palm.eas.json
\usr\palm\public\accounts\com.palm.eas\resources\en\com.palm.eas.json
\usr\palm\public\accounts\com.palm.eas\resources\es\com.palm.eas.json
\usr\palm\public\accounts\com.palm.eas\resources\fr\com.palm.eas.json
\usr\palm\public\accounts\com.palm.eas\resources\it\com.palm.eas.json
\usr\palm\services\com.palm.service.backup\handlers\eas-policy-changed.js
\usr\palm\services\com.palm.service.backup\handlers\opt-in.js
\usr\palm\services\com.palm.service.backup\services.json
\usr\palm\services\com.palm.service.backup\sources.json
\usr\palm\services\com.palm.service.backup\util\system.js
\usr\palm\sysmgr\uiComponents\SystemMenu\SystemMenu.qml
\usr\share\dbus-1\system-services\com.palm.eas.service
\usr\share\fonts\HeiS_nb.ttf
\usr\share\ls2\roles\prv\com.palm.eas.json
86 occurance(s) found.
Thanked by chalx, Rnp
Old 03/15/2013, 09:55 AM   #29 (permalink)

That's what I needed. I'll try it over weekend.
thank you
Old 03/15/2013, 10:00 AM   #30 (permalink)

Do any of you happen to know where the information used to identify the client device type to the server is, or if it pulls that info from a system call? The Touchpad identifies itself as a Palm device to Exchange servers.. Curious if it can be changed. I'm kind of figuring there is a client certificate involved, which might not be alterable.

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/15/2013 at 10:10 AM.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2013, 10:05 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Do any of you happen to know where the information used to identify the client device type to the server is, or if it pulls that info from a system call? The Touchpad identifies itself as a Palm device to Exchange servers.. Curious if it can be changed. I'm kind of figuring there is a client certificate involved, which might not be alterable.
See Can a patch fix this? EAS Hotmail not working
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 07/03/2013, 09:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Now even new feature phones for $68 have EAS : Nokia announces the 207 and 208: 3G data and month-long standby for $68
"Show Full PR Text":

"Popular social apps, smarter imaging and productivity features such as Internet-sharing and Mail for Exchange support make these phones some of the most versatile at their price point;"

Not that i want to type mails on such a device, but it's really sad that there is no option in sight to use EAS on Open webOS

Last edited by gizmo21; 07/03/2013 at 10:07 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2013, 12:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Adding EAS technically shouldn't be too difficult but it's the fees that doesn't make it doable, especially the one-off ones.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 07/03/2013, 01:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Well i'm not only talking about adding it officially, but having the existing framework put back into it. So if that is "technically not too difficult", fees are not important for us endusers.
Old 07/05/2013, 06:52 AM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't know how difficult that would be... quite a time ago (I think it was webOS 2.0) I browsed through the js-service code that was responsible for syncing contacts and calendar events. And there were quite a lot of hacks with a comment like "EAS needs XYZ here"... If that is still all in there, then one could try to just collect all necessary files from webOs 3.0.5, build an ipkg and try to install that on open webos.

I have not really looked at the js-service code in open webos (it is still on my list, but somewhere down there, sadly, the very rare spare time I have that I manage to invest into webOS is usually consumed with fiddling in Preware 2), but I think it did not change a lot... If I get the new alpha of open webos running on my galaxy nexus sometime soon, I'll just try it, I think.

If there are binary files used for EAS sync, we will have a slight problem, though... at least I will have one, because I don't really have a clue how these binary services really work. And it might get issues with differing library versions and stuff. So let's hope it is all in java script. Just came to my mind after writing all this. From what I saw google and facebook are pure JS services.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2013, 01:11 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
It's not Microsoft to blame, all the contrary. Or when people started making their own Messenger clients, Microsoft did nothing to stop them. Timed passed by, Microsoft let Mesenger die (amazing, as it came out as the king of instant messaging), some other comes up with something as silly as WhatsApp, and attempts to block third party clients. Pathetic.
Well... the protocol information is in this link!

And; until where I know, you can develop some open source client to EAS without pay anything.

The value must be payed only by server licence, and not by client developer...

Best Regards...
Old 07/06/2013, 04:15 AM   #37 (permalink)

Microsoft expects client developers to pay for patent licensing (in the US; software patents are not valid in Europe and some other places). Motorola got sued by Microsoft because they didn't pay.

There may be an exception for non-commercial open source use:

https://www.microsoft.com/openspecif...s/default.aspx

FirefoxOS has an EAS client written in JS: https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia-email-libs-and-more

although Firefox/FirefoxOS uses a "newer" version of Javascript that isn't an official standard nor compatible with Webkit/V8 and other JS engines, so the code probably won't work out of the box.

Last edited by greenoyster; 07/06/2013 at 04:22 AM.
Thanked by Gwidion, Rnp

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0