webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Privacy function in OpenOS?
Privacy function in OpenOS?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daexpression

Old 01/11/2013, 03:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

O I was reading this article of some old phones by fujitsu, and I found that this feature was interesting and could be useful for specific groups of people - from corporate, security, and even government...of course not forgetting those who juggle multiple other R/s lol.

Japan's Philanderers Stay Faithful to Their 'Infidelity Phones' - WSJ.com

1. keybuttons to enable and disable privacy mode
2. No one knows that privacy has been turned on or off - maybe some subtle difference.
3. All information that is tagged private (SMS, emails, Phone numbers, phone calls, miss calles, phonebook entries) are hidden under privacy mode.
4. In privacy mode - the phone does not ring - but maybe route to some hidden mailbox, arriving sms/ emails does not show by ringing phone)
5. Documents / objects in the phone tagged as private does not show in this mode - good for security, government etc.

Possible to embedd this features into OpenOS?...it will surely get some interest in specific groups of people
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/11/2013, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice list... i was actually looking into this subject not long ago and making my own list in the process. An OS with built-in cryptography and privacy features is a great idea for corporate environments, and also as you say, the philanderers, or anyone with snoopy/jealous family members.

I'll be making a more complete, better researched and tested list (or even UI mockup) in the future, because i definitely agree with the necessity of making this work.

And then a little more work would need to go into securing the phones, because let's just say that current webOS data security is.. porous.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Nice list... i was actually looking into this subject not long ago and making my own list in the process. An OS with built-in cryptography and privacy features is a great idea for corporate environments, and also as you say, the philanderers, or anyone with snoopy/jealous family members.

I'll be making a more complete, better researched and tested list (or even UI mockup) in the future, because i definitely agree with the necessity of making this work.

And then a little more work would need to go into securing the phones, because let's just say that current webOS data security is.. porous.
Hi Remy,

great to know there is a bit of interest in such an innovation to be developed maybe in OpenOS. On the security portion, not too sure how porous the data security is...and there are many ways to to 'secure the data' whether it be on the db level or the filesystem layer etc. However as usual will there be an impact on performance. However given it' has a linux base core - there should be sufficient security layers maybe it's not enabled but that is more of the implementation/ configuration rather then having to develop another layer.
Old 01/16/2013, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

OpenwebOS (and by extension LunaCE) is better security-wise, but Legacy is pretty open... GMMan has posted an analysis of it in this thread: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...y-checker.html
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

LunaCE plays only a part in the security of the whole system. As long as there's a way to enable Novacom through the ramdisk, there's a hole.

Thinking about it, maybe if the user never enters the lock screen password (on CE), maybe the Key Manager never gets unlocked, if it uses the actual password somewhere instead of just the hash. I haven't looked through CE's source code in a while, so I may be wrong.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 04:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I guess from the looks....in the area of security - it might be best to look within the marketspace and see what other devices do to secure the environment....

some ideas that i have - to enable novacom on the phone (to secure the ramdisk), the user needs to know some hash number which is only shown in the user profile of the device or in the MEI / serial number of the phone. Another possibility is that whenever novacom is used / doctoring - it will only wipe all data and not retain any.

alternatively - Openos might incorporate some MDM solution inside the Palm to be enabled as a subscription to 100% secure the system.?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0