webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Oppo Find 5 & WebOs ? Time to Cheerlead!
Oppo Find 5 & WebOs ? Time to Cheerlead!

Old 01/11/2013, 03:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Oppo is a supurb DVD/BluRay company that in now entering the smartphone world. If their phones are anything like their other products we have a lot to celebrate. Jump on the Oppo forums and rally for WebOs!

OPPO
whfrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

yea it would be nice to get new hardware for webOs , it does look nice
gderoiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 05:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh my...

That's an eye-pleasing piece of hardware

Most people who know me here would remember me as the only person not impressed with the Samsung Galaxy III (and having a "meh" reaction to large slab phones in general), but the Find 5, i would love to check it out in person...

Love the design (reminds me a little of my LG VX8700 flip phone ...which was Verizon's "variant" of the LG Shine) and the buttonless "gesture area".. It would indeed be a beautiful new body for openwebOS if a port could be put together without much difficulty.....

In any case, it'll be keeping an eye on it as the first adopters start filling in the less idealized picture of what it really is...
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 05:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oppo Find 5 hands-on - YouTube
Old 01/11/2013, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have the Oppo BDP-95 player and its awesome. Read about the Find 5 @ another site. I would buy an Oppo phone.
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

more phys keyboard phones please that arent horizontals, that plus i still like the pebble shaped pre phones, not a fan of thin slabs, tho this fail perspective is from someone who also previously liked samsung clamshell feature phones.
Old 01/11/2013, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
In the video, he said the Q-word. Sigh Though, I suppose if OPPO became a hardware manufacturer for webOS devices, we wouldn't need to worry about those drivers.
Old 01/11/2013, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandongoeszoom View Post
In the video, he said the Q-word. Sigh Though, I suppose if OPPO became a hardware manufacturer for webOS devices, we wouldn't need to worry about those drivers.
chances are, the'd be much too smug to release a dedicated webOS device or to even talk to us of the idea, but on the other hand, they would definitely be a good partner to work with for a custom-order dual-boot variant of one of their phones... if we approach them right

These guys are high-end and not "hole in the wall" enough to agree to somebody else's terms, so it would be a good gesture on their part to work with webOS homebrew, but not their obligation. Unfortunately we are still "small fish"

On the other hand, i think there's a possibility of a "kernel compromise", where a build of openwebOS could be downgraded to a slightly older (mixed?) kernel, and since Find 5 runs JellyBean (4.1), that's a newer kernel than some of the earlier Android builds... this way we could adapt to some of the existing drivers and only have to reverse-engineer some stuff. Not ideal, but bearable i think. OpenwebOS is still "open" enough to modify it to run with whatever driver "binary blobs" are be available.

This isn't my area of expertise, but there's still room to cut corners and have a working device...
Old 01/11/2013, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Some nice closeups of it: Oppo's 1080p Find 5 is its best-built phone yet | The Verge

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0