webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > KeyiCam Isn't Dead!
KeyiCam Isn't Dead!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brandongoeszoom

Old 01/07/2013, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Well, while there aren't KeyiCam Kiosks popping up all over the place yet, there's still progress being made on the project, apparently. Over on the Open webOS Project forums, the KeyiCam dev posted three images of their progress.

http://www.openwebosproject.org/file.../1508/Home.png

http://www.openwebosproject.org/file...1511/Login.png

http://www.openwebosproject.org/file...2/Settings.png

Although it's not the webOS we all know and love (simply because it's simply powered by webOS, not designed to look like it), I'm glad that it can live on in any way, shape, or form.
Old 01/07/2013, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

What puzzles me is why they have to try so hard to awkwardly shove the small i in there...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
What puzzles me is why they have to try so hard to awkwardly shove the small i in there...
Same, but hey. It's early. Maybe they'll remove it later :P
Old 01/07/2013, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

But why webOS when they're not even using the interface? Looks more like Ubuntu (the titlebar at least) and even then I don't see any benefit of using webOS for such a thing. The power of webOS is the awesome card interface.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
But why webOS when they're not even using the interface? Looks more like Ubuntu (the titlebar at least) and even then I don't see any benefit of using webOS for such a thing. The power of webOS is the awesome card interface.
Honestly, I don't know why they chose to use it. It doesn't really matter much to me. While the card interface is what makes webOS so awesome, I'm glad that some of the underlying code lives on regardless.
Old 01/07/2013, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I can order mange with this? ;-)

Yes, it doesn't look like webOS. Perhaps each image is a card or perhaps they're all scenes from an app. Then again, they appear to have added the usual buttons from a desktop window manager. Very odd. Presumably it will be in kiosk mode, so one app only? I think solely on the basis of these three static images, I also have to question why webOS is being used as a desktop interface when there are already plenty of those to pick from.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

One wonders if their choice of Open webOS is simply a matter of security through obscurity given their product. That's the only reasonable rationale here, but very likely not the rationale they used when deciding to use Open webOS as their platform.

They could have easily gone with TideSDK (http://www.tidesdk.org/) and had a desktop application ready to go in very little time using HTML5/CSS/JS with optional back-end code and deployed it to any number of desktop platforms--even Linux.

Using Open webOS for something like this seems almost backwards when you look at how many more fitting solutions are sitting out there--with far better APIs--that don't require plunking an entire OS on top of Linux to achieve the same net result.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think what you see in the screenshots are screenshots taken from an enyo2 application running in the developer's webbrowser.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

I don't know, the widgets look quite Ubuntu-ish. It can't be Enyo, unless Enyo has the ability to take on skinning by the host's desktop compositor.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That doesn't conflict with what I said... let it be a chrome or firefox running on a standard ubuntu. The browser is just showing some web app, probably enyo-based... There is nothing that hints on open webos being used.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 10:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thinking about my comment again, I suppose Enyo can be used, as you're not forced to use the usual skin.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0