webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS on the Galaxy S3?
Open webOS on the Galaxy S3?
Like Tree4Likes

Old 12/25/2012, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

would that even be possible?
HondaPixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Honestly, this is what I'm hoping for. I already have my S3 working with my old touchstone, and to have webOS as a dual-boot option would be simply incredible.

@drewksparks_dev on Twitter

Devices: Palm Pre 2 and 32gb Touchpad

I'm a webOS freak, according to my mother.
drewksparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Technically, it's possible to unlock the boatloader and load an operating system of your choice.

The problem is that that there are not open source drivers for Samsung's processors, graphics chips, radios, etc. Without those, Open webOS on the S3 isn't going to happen. This is why WebOS Ports has been focusing their efforts on open source-compatible devices like the Nexus line of smartphones and tablets.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 01/22/2013, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Derek: Maybe you should've researched before you posted because Samsung released the S3 drivers under the GPL:
Samsung Galaxy S III Kernel Source Released – xda-developers
[REF] Kernel source code repository for Galaxy S III - xda-developers
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Kernel source ≠ everything needed to make Open webOS on the S3 a reality.
Old 01/22/2013, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I didn't say that it would be everything to make OWO run, I only commented on what you said about no drivers/radio available to show you they are available.
Old 01/22/2013, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
I didn't say that it would be everything to make OWO run, I only commented on what you said about no drivers/radio available to show you they are available.
To rephrase Derek's point. Kernel ≠ drivers/radio
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2013, 06:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rnp

So; until where my microbrain understand, the S3's Kernel can be open source, but the drivers don't...

... in other words:

(Hummm... maybe... in the xda - that "have no problems with open-or-not-source drivers" - there is some chance to... well... is only an idea... )

Best Regards...
Old 01/23/2013, 06:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
So; until where my microbrain understand, the S3's Kernel can be open source, but the drivers don't...
It's like webOS up to 3.x - the kernel is open source, but the drivers are not.
Old 01/23/2013, 06:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
It's like webOS up to 3.x - the kernel is open source, but the drivers are not.
The Pre 3 CPU driver is available thanks to Sony (which also uses that CPU in one of their Xperia phones).
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/23/2013, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
To rephrase Derek's point. Kernel ≠ drivers/radio
But again: the drivers ARE available.

Samsung Exynos 4412 (Origen 4 Quad Board) Open Source Development Schedule

AND I QUOTE:
"Samsung already released the source code for Samsung Galaxy S3 in June, but this should add more recent drivers and support for more peripherals."

Just go and take a look over here to see the source code for the drivers:
Insignal git repositories

Man, why is it so hard to convince people.
Old 01/23/2013, 07:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Then just go ahead and try a port. :-p

There is quite a lot missing in open webos that will be needed on all devices... maybe we should try to focus efforts on that (like the memo, browser, settings, preware 2 apps that webos-ports is currently doing).
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2013, 08:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
The Pre 3 CPU driver is available thanks to Sony (which also uses that CPU in one of their Xperia phones).
CPU is not the only driver you'll need. What about all the sensors, network, radio and GPU? These are the problems which make porting Open webOS to existing devices difficult. Or Android to HP/Palm devices.
Old 01/23/2013, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Still, the drivers for the S3 are open source so it IS possible. And that is what I wanted to point out. They already have a lot to do at webos-ports and I don't have or want an S3, but it *could* be done given the open source drivers.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/24/2013, 12:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

With all the talk about porting to Nexus or S3...why not have the OpenOS ports send Samsung Mobility department for some 'R&D' support - for drivers and such? For Samsung they'd not really lose out much time helping an opensource project, while at the same time, they're interested in selling hardware phones with Samsung written all over it, and it'd help the openOS ports with additional sourcecode to optimize the OS for samsung phones?..

Yes I know this is farfetched...but if we never shoot the mail over, we'd never know.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 01:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
Yes I know this is farfetched...but if we never shoot the mail over, we'd never know.
Same email coud be sent also to Sony.
Old 01/24/2013, 02:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Even for official AOSP Nexus phones, look at all the drivers that are only available in binary-only form. If we can't get the source code for these things for a Galaxy Nexus then what hope is there for the S3? Vistaus, where in that repository are the graphics acceleration and GSM drivers? That's what people are asking for.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 05:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Graphics drivers are part of the CPU drivers since they share functionaltiy (like onboard graphics in a laptop).

And GSM drivers is not a problem at all. Why do you think we have telephonyd which is already used by for example MeeGo, OpenWebOS on the Galaxy Nexus and Kubuntu Mobile?
Old 01/24/2013, 07:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

It's possible to port webOS to pretty much any modern smartphone.... in theory. In practise, it takes a lot of work so everyone goes for the Nexus because it's well documented and supported for porting.

Phones like the Samsung S3 tend to be locked down pretty tight for various reasons, not least licensing agreements and copyrights (remember, drivers may do the same job in general, but they may do it in a different way). You won't get access to these drivers because they are proprietary, even if you ask nicely.

So, whilst it's still theoretically possible, it's too much of a pain in the *** to be practical any time soon.
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 08:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Graphics drivers are part of the CPU drivers since they share functionaltiy (like onboard graphics in a laptop).
Umm, they're part of the same chipset, not part of the CPU iirc. So the drivers would be separate
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0