webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS on the Galaxy S3?
Open webOS on the Galaxy S3?
Like Tree4Likes

Old 01/24/2013, 09:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
It's possible to port webOS to pretty much any modern smartphone.... in theory. In practise, it takes a lot of work so everyone goes for the Nexus because it's well documented and supported for porting.

Phones like the Samsung S3 tend to be locked down pretty tight for various reasons, not least licensing agreements and copyrights (remember, drivers may do the same job in general, but they may do it in a different way). You won't get access to these drivers because they are proprietary, even if you ask nicely.

So, whilst it's still theoretically possible, it's too much of a pain in the *** to be practical any time soon.
Are you even reading this thread? AGAIN: Samsung OPEN SOURCED some drivers from the S3.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 09:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

Key word "some" :/
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 09:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Key word "some" :/
Yeah, but that dude claimed the S3 was *all* proprietary which isn't true. *Some* open sourced drivers is not as proprietary as *no* open source drivers.
Old 01/24/2013, 10:33 AM   #24 (permalink)

The international, Exynos 4 based S3's (and Note 2's) don't even have enough code/info out there to make a proper Cyanogenmod port, only the US version with Qualcomm CPU is supported in CM10.1 M1. So a port of open WebOS to the international S3 is probably not possible right now.
Chad Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Rnp, T-Pad
Old 01/24/2013, 10:57 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Are you even reading this thread? AGAIN: Samsung OPEN SOURCED some drivers from the S3.
Nope, doing this blindfolded. Fully aware Samsung open sourced SOME drivers, never claimed they didn't but a lot of the essentials are locked down which doesn't make it any more likely we'll see an S3 running webOS any time soon or even ever.
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 12:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Page View Post
The international, Exynos 4 based S3's (and Note 2's) don't even have enough code/info out there to make a proper Cyanogenmod port, only the US version with Qualcomm CPU is supported in CM10.1 M1. So a port of open WebOS to the international S3 is probably not possible right now.
Again: they open sourced the Exynos 4 driver. Go and take a look at the link I posted earlier.
Old 01/24/2013, 12:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, and it looks like based on the schedule on Insight you'll see they've hit some...roadblocks. The blew their schedule significantly.

Again, if someone's so adamant it's possible, then I'd try to get the backing of someone that actually knows how to port to agree that the person who doesn't know how to port is correct.

Last edited by dignitary; 01/24/2013 at 01:00 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 01:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Yeah, and it looks like based on the schedule on Insight you'll see they've hit some...roadblocks. The blew their schedule significantly.

Again, if someone's so adamant it's possible, then I'd try to get the backing of someone that actually knows how to port to agree that the person who doesn't know how to port is correct.
Take a another look at the Git repository: the Exynos 4 driver is there.
Old 01/24/2013, 03:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Old 01/25/2013, 11:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

The only porting I can do is when I paddle my kayak in to shore...

That's why I never insist any device can run Open webOS.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 01/26/2013, 01:34 PM   #31 (permalink)

This is what Eric Blade wrote in a comment to Derek's latest article - I'm sure he knows what he is talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade
The entire pre family and touchpad operated, hardware wise, in ways that webOS took advantage of, but in ways that are quite different from what we have found in other devices. This is part of why true and complete hardware acceleration for video has not hit any of the port devices yet. None of the other mobile devices have hardware that works the same way as the palm/HP hardware. And none of them have open source video drivers.. There is plenty of progress being made on that front as well, but its much more difficult and time consuming than it should be -- if the hardware video drivers were open, it would likely be far easier to add the abilities webOS uses and relies upon, than to rearchitect webOS to do it Google's way, or to architect a layer between the two.
Source: One year of Open webOS | webOS Nation
Old 01/26/2013, 01:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I said Pre 3 CPU driver, *not* GPU driver. Eric's talking about the GPU, not the CPU. Don't confuse those two.
Old 01/27/2013, 02:34 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Graphics drivers are part of the CPU drivers since they share functionaltiy (like onboard graphics in a laptop).
Quote:
I said Pre 3 CPU driver, *not* GPU driver. Eric's talking about the GPU, not the CPU. Don't confuse those two.
I can tell the difference, but are you sure, that you can?

Trust webOS Ports that they have chosen the right devices.
Old 01/27/2013, 02:37 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
And video drivers have nothing to do with the CPU. You are just making yourself look foolish.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 04:44 PM   #35 (permalink)

this whole thing with open webOS on SGS3 went to far without reason. Drivers are in general big obstruction to open webOS porting and we all know this. I guess that open webOS could be ported to SGS3 but final result wouldn't be satisfying so porting efforts are directed toward Nexus devices.
I don't know what HP planned with drivers when they opensourced webOS?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0