webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Release: Isis Web
Release: Isis Web
Like Tree142Likes

Old 12/23/2012, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

NOTE: this is NOT the new WebKit, dkirker is taking care of porting that over.

ISIS WEB IS (temporarily) DISCONTINUED. I'm very upset with webOS' future at this point in time. I've tried to hold on as long as possible, waaaay beyond HP gave up on webOS. The forums embraced webOS TV but I hate webOS TV. I want the real webOS on a real phone and/or tablet. Until the day good ol' webOS returns on such form factor, Isis Web is discontinued.

Why would I want this over the stock web browser?
Well, this is basically the stock web browser but with some advantages. For example, you no longer need the Download Link patch because that's already built-in, you get advantage of the nice new Sharing dialog (so you can actually choose where you want to share a URL: E-mail, Messaging, Sparrow or Facebook Tablet) and some other nice stuff!

How do I get this?
Just open up your web browser and download the IPK from the URL further down this post. You can then install the IPK via Preware.
After installing an app named 'Isis Web' will appear on the DOWNLOADS tab. Go ahead and open it!

Changelog:
3.5.0 codename "The Quick Poster"
-Added Quick Post to the Share menu
-Renamed 'Macaw' to 'Project Macaw'
-Made the Macaw icon a bit darker so that you can actually see it on the button

3.2.0 codename "The Macaw"
-Added Project Macaw sharing to the Share menu

3.1.0 codename "The Fixml"
-Added support for opening XML files
-FIXED sharing to Sparrow and Facebook

3.0.0 codename "The Nav"
-Added Enhanced NavButtons, thanks Choorp/Garret for the code!
// This means that you can hold down the back and forward buttons and then you will be able to choose a site from the history
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download 3.5.0 codename "The Quick Poster":
https://www.dropbox.com/s/efwnkz5yji..._3.5.0_all.ipk

Want to make Isis Web your default web browser?
All you gotta do is go to Settings --> Device Info --> Edit --> Default Applications and set the browser to Isis Web!

Want to help develop Isis Web? You can commit to one of the Git repo's right here!
Isis Web for the HP Touchpad - https://github.com/Vistaus/isis-browser
Isis Web for the HP Pre 2 and 3 - https://github.com/Vistaus/isis-browser-pre23

If you like my work, you can donate to me. I have a lot of spare time already so your donation will not speed up development but if you want it you can do so by following this link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted

Last edited by Vistaus; 08/15/2014 at 06:20 PM.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz, Rnp, HelloNNNewman and 12 others like this.
Old 12/23/2012, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Great work!

Thanks for this, but Google sites link doesn't work in Preware unfortunately. Maybe you can find another site to host it?

It might be a good idea to change the appinfo.json so it will have a distinct app name instead of "Web"?

For the preferences issue you might want to check the files in the DB folder, these seem to reference to "com.palm.app.browser" while the app id for this app is "com.palm.app.isisbrowser"?

Simply updating these values might sort the issue with settings, bookmarks and browserhistory? But seeing that both browsers will exist next to each other you might want to update the id's as well from "com.palm.browserpreferences" to "com.palm.isisbrowserpreferences" for example? You would need to do a search and replace in the other files to make sure these are updated as well
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 12/23/2012, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, I'm sorry. The link will only work if you cut out the last part in Preware (so that it ends with .ipk). Then it'll install and work just fine.

I will look into the db's and appids, thanks for the tip!
Old 12/23/2012, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanks for feedback!

Would be nice to see if we could port Isis app somehow to Enyo 2.0 instead of 1.0 and see it with new Webkit, to see how it runs then, should fly even more then and let and iDevice or Android bite in the dust :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 12/23/2012, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow!! Great work!
The isis-browser starts and load sites super fast!
figgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/23/2012, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Herrie: Indeed! I would love that but I'm not too familiar with Enyo yet so for now I can't do that. But I'm trying to learn it so maybe one day I can at least help in porting it to 2.0

@figgel: It's indeed super fast!
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 12/23/2012, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Vistaus, if this is using the stock WebKit which is what the stock browser also uses, and one of the main benefits of Isis is that it uses the up-to-date version of WebKit, to what do you attribute the improved performance? (Not trying to be a jerk - just truly puzzled)
George Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will try this soon, this is great cant believe HP did not do this, even if it just to bug test and get feed back on isis, HP has over 1 million users of webOS and most would be happy to test open webOS anf gram software. I so proud of the webOS homebrew community always come up with solutions and keep the pick up the ball that HP keep dropping.

recommend change app name to Cheetah (tah seem to be popular ending in prewere) or what ever you choose.

I am sure other will be more than happy to help you with enyo (funny keep tying enjoy, lol)
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
Vistaus, if this is using the stock WebKit which is what the stock browser also uses, and one of the main benefits of Isis is that it uses the up-to-date version of WebKit, to what do you attribute the improved performance? (Not trying to be a jerk - just truly puzzled)
I'm thinking the WebKit version of the original Isis build is still newer than the stock browser's....
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Awesome work!!! I am curious to know how it gets better performance... I was under the impression that Isis Enyo app === webOS 3.0.5 app.

I'm finalizing the build for the WebKit part. Initially it will work on 3.0.5. I hope the Pre3 next (no promises).

I do have a binary that runs, starts to load a page, then crashes... :S
Old 12/23/2012, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

enforcement is possible in the pre3?, I tried it, but the search does not: (
MAMISHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Great work and keeps our webos devices viable!
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 12/23/2012, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Oh yeah, one noticable feature in this release: if you click the Share button, you can now actually choose to share via Email, Messaging or Facebook and it works awesome (opens up either the messaging or fb app with the Check out this web page as a new post). Very very awesome!

Will answer questions tomorrow.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Old 12/23/2012, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Can anybody test it in Acid benchmark?
Acid Tests - The Web Standards Project
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Where do you go to install this? is it under manage feeds? A little help ;p
Old 12/23/2012, 09:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
Can anybody test it in Acid benchmark?
Acid Tests - The Web Standards Project
I just got a 94 outta 100 trying it. It is fast...Same score as the standard browser though.

Last edited by danimal62; 12/23/2012 at 10:08 PM.
danimal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 09:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
Where do you go to install this? is it under manage feeds? A little help ;p
open preware. Click upper left tab (preware) . Tap install package and paste link.
danimal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 10:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

I could not get it with preware , I DL to my PC using google link. then copy to my Touchpad and pre3 and install that way.

I was trying to add link as feed, using above method worked for me on Touchpad

Also install on my pre3, it launches and all buttons work and also prefence page. but browser wont open websites.
you can only enter websites in landscape mode, as in portrait the browser bar is not usable.

would love to see this added to default web browser for pre3 like you done for Touchpad

I get 94/100 for all my browsers on Touchpad.

Last edited by Firepower; 12/23/2012 at 10:41 PM.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The Isis en yo app is 305's with the extra share option. If this doesn't have a WebKit included then it is identical except for that.. ?

Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 12:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Hmm... Placebo effect?
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0