webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Release: Isis Web
Release: Isis Web
Like Tree142Likes

Old 01/11/2013, 11:47 AM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Well, here we know the original code worked perfectly fine, and the new release broke things. It's like implementing a feature and then make some changes and break it but not fixing it before release. As for Open webOS, we know it's webOS, but it's not the exact same code. Many things have been rewritten, and a whole lot of stuff has been stripped out. It didn't even publicly run on a mobile device when it first came out. So the difference is this already worked and was building upon previous versions of working code, while Open webOS basically got chopped a few times with an axe, bits swapped out and then given to the public while it never really worked as intended in the first place.
yup all true, but when you look at the amount of end users who dont know any of this, they just look at the final products and go "meh", expectations higher than total sum of knowledge.
Old 01/11/2013, 02:04 PM   #102 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@GMMan: Not to sound rude but have you ever wondered what the term 'BETA' stands for?

Btw, could someone help me with fixing the permissions? It doesn't seem fixable. I've changed stuff to com.palm.app.isisbrowser (that's the appid) but it's still broken.

Btw, Git is now open: https://github.com/Vistaus/isis-browser

Last edited by Vistaus; 01/11/2013 at 02:31 PM.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 02:42 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
@GMMan: Not to sound rude but have you ever wondered what the term 'BETA' stands for?
I know what beta stands for. Yours was closer to alpha. Beta is about finding odd bugs, while lack of DB access is a glaring problem.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/11/2013, 03:17 PM   #104 (permalink)

@Vistaus: I forked your repo and made some changes. Check for pull request.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by ShiftyAxel and Isandunk like this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 01/11/2013, 04:46 PM   #105 (permalink)

I've updated the code and made a new build. DB access now works. See https://github.com/GMMan/isis-browser for source. Changes have been sent as pull request.

Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29365870/com..._1.2.1_all.ipk (Updated Jan. 12 8:20 PM)

Known issues:
- Sparrow sharing may or may not work. I don't have a copy of Sparrow to test with, but according to a certain wiki's information the call should work.

Silly typo caused the problem in 1.2.0.

Last edited by GMMan; 01/12/2013 at 07:21 PM.
Liked by Isandunk, Vistaus and Remy X like this.
Old 01/11/2013, 06:26 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
For one thing, I couldn't give support and updates due to personal problems, like I mentioned earlier. I'm not sure how you can give support and stuff when you're grandma suddenly dies and you **** up your lovelife at pretty much the same time? For me, those were bigger problems to deal with than giving support and I was getting into bug fixing now but my motivation is gone.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Oh no. Sorry to hear you lose the people you loved, and who were a big part of your life.

That would be a difficult and painful time, for anyone. I really didn't know it was this bad, because your original post sounded more like you had an argument with your mother and she wanted you to move out (...just an example of the tone of your message, and not based on actual facts)

So please don't feel like we are ganging up on you with personal criticism. It wasn't personal, and knowing your situation now changes things even further. We'll be there for you if you need anything, and if you feel like this project here carries too many painful memories, feel free to move onto something else for the time being.

Try to have some fun and not let depression set in... otherwise it takes a lot more effort to snap out of it.

**hugs**

BTW, on the title change
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 04:31 AM   #107 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Remy X: Thanks for the hugs! I'll try to be clearer in the future.

@GMMan: Thanks for fixing the db and the stupid typo I made. Request is pulled and will update the first post with a new working build. Getting to RC now.
A few other fixes you made, yes those .DStore files are one thing that bug me about OSX. Never had that problem on Ubuntu.
And the typo on the Sparrow code wasn't needed to fix because that was not needed to show in the GUI yet because it does open Sparrow but it doesn't open a new tweet which was why I didn't let it show up in the GUI yet. But thanks anyway. The DB access fixed is welcomed with much love.

Last edited by Vistaus; 01/12/2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01/12/2013, 02:35 PM   #108 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
@Remy X: Thanks for the hugs! I'll try to be clearer in the future.

@GMMan: Thanks for fixing the db and the stupid typo I made. Request is pulled and will update the first post with a new working build. Getting to RC now.
A few other fixes you made, yes those .DStore files are one thing that bug me about OSX. Never had that problem on Ubuntu.
And the typo on the Sparrow code wasn't needed to fix because that was not needed to show in the GUI yet because it does open Sparrow but it doesn't open a new tweet which was why I didn't let it show up in the GUI yet. But thanks anyway. The DB access fixed is welcomed with much love.
You might want to have a look at the 3.0.5 browser patches and incorporate some more? Would be good if they could be enabled/disabled via Tweaks!

webOS-Patches Web Portal
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 01/12/2013, 03:01 PM   #109 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yup, already noted that in the first post earlier today but thanks anyway!
Old 01/12/2013, 03:25 PM   #110 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Yup, already noted that in the first post earlier today but thanks anyway!
Sorry must have overlooked that. I thought you'd only wanted to add additional sharing options? There seems to be a few more interesting patches for the browser that would be good to be added
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 03:51 PM   #111 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes, additional sharing options but I also stated:

"And I'm looking into implementing more features that are only available as patches up till now."

But it's okay, I like it when people bring me suggestions anyway, that keeps the spirit alive!
Old 01/12/2013, 04:08 PM   #112 (permalink)

I think I know what this project can be. It can be a patch aggregator, so you can have the features of many of the browser patches but don't have to deal with one patch not applying because another one changed a file slightly.
Old 01/12/2013, 04:12 PM   #113 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yup I was thinking the same... If we now could only easily switch user agents by the press of a button...

Old 01/12/2013, 04:55 PM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Yup I was thinking the same... If we now could only easily switch user agents by the press of a button...

Better yet, have a list of domains (or specific pages) with a UA mode assigned to each of them, so that it will switch automatically
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 04:56 PM   #115 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, this project is gonna be a patch aggregator, a sharing link dialog aggregator and I'll see what I can do to implement further so we can keep using our Web browser in a more modern way until the real Isis arrives by dkirker.
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/12/2013, 04:57 PM   #116 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

Only problem is that the User Agents break Flash Player so there's not that much benefit. But I'll see what I can do in implementing this.

Btw to all: New version is up, check the first post!

Last edited by Vistaus; 01/12/2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01/12/2013, 06:10 PM   #117 (permalink)

I tried it for the first time today, v1.2.0. It'd flash randomly like the app was refreshing or something while trying to type a URL, but it'd never go to anything, just sit there at the starting point. Not even bookmarks would open. Not sure what went wrong with mine. Also, when I went to uninstall it, it showed V1.0.0, even tho I installed 1.2
h3x3di7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 06:31 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3x3di7 View Post
I tried it for the first time today, v1.2.0. It'd flash randomly like the app was refreshing or something while trying to type a URL, but it'd never go to anything, just sit there at the starting point. Not even bookmarks would open. Not sure what went wrong with mine. Also, when I went to uninstall it, it showed V1.0.0, even tho I installed 1.2
Same thing happened when I tried installing it on the device, pages never loads just sits there doing nothing....don't know what went wrong, but I will try uninstalling it.
Old 01/12/2013, 07:21 PM   #119 (permalink)

Updated personal build to fix problem. See post above: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...st3372885.html
Old 01/12/2013, 10:29 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Updated personal build to fix problem. See post above: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...st3372885.html
Thanks GMMan, I appreciate it. Now that a second version was released, I have a question for the poster "Vistaus" if you will be adding support for tabs/offline browsing/pasword manager to the Isis Web application ?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0