webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Release: Isis Web
Release: Isis Web
Like Tree142Likes

Old 01/09/2013, 10:44 AM   #81 (permalink)

1. True
2. True
3. I think the improvements should be applied to the stock browser instead. By the end of the day, if we do get a new WebKit, it'll apply to the entire system, and having a separate Isis browser is the same thing as having the stock browser. Of course, many of the existing patches can be applied to the GitHub repo, so in case someone wants to use it for another platform (who knows) they'll get an enhanced version to start with.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 12:53 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
[...]I hope that I was talented like Vistaus or Dkirker to work myself on porting to the TouchPad that much desired Isis which I'm so waiting to get my hands on. It's pitiful that developers have to be responsible for porting Isis, instead of WebOS/HP doing the work.[...]
Vistaus hasn't demonstrated any talent at all, all he's done is take what's on github and package it up in an ipk. As for your second statement, HP abandoned webOS pretty much and made it open source for the purpose of the community to improve it. That's pretty much what open source means. webOS was closed source which is why HP was responsible for improving it, now that it's open source it is available to a wider audience to improve by directly working with the source code. If you're not happy with the way things are going, email HP and scold them for making other developers work on Open webOS rather than HP themselves.
HTC One (T-Mobile)
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
gamer765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 08:19 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
Vistaus hasn't demonstrated any talent at all, all he's done is take what's on github and package it up in an ipk. As for your second statement, HP abandoned webOS pretty much and made it open source for the purpose of the community to improve it. That's pretty much what open source means. webOS was closed source which is why HP was responsible for improving it, now that it's open source it is available to a wider audience to improve by directly working with the source code. If you're not happy with the way things are going, email HP and scold them for making other developers work on Open webOS rather than HP themselves.
Seems to me that requires some talent. Not to mention he did add a share option to whatever webpage he is currently viewing. He's at least trying to make it better, so feel free to hop on and make your own improvements.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 01/10/2013, 09:31 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Not to mention he did add a share option to whatever webpage he is currently viewing.
Wasn't that a part of the commits from the repo?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 01/10/2013, 09:37 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Wasn't that a part of the commits from the repo?
He made it available, whether or not he actually created it is a moot point.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 11:27 AM   #86 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Vistaus hasn't demonstrated any talent at all, all he's done is take what's on github and package it up in an ipk.
I don't have enough talent to do that.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, brandongoeszoom, sledge007 and 2 others like this.
Thanked by Rnp, sledge007
Old 01/10/2013, 12:55 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Quote:
Vistaus hasn't demonstrated any talent at all, all he's done is take what's on github and package it up in an ipk.
I don't have enough talent to do that.

Almost everybody has the talent for reading directions (provided that they are written in a common-sense way). What he's done differenly is he's followed them.

Now everyone should be satisfied and feeling "politically correct".

What i would have done differently if i were Vistaus, i would have limited the confusion, and would have been very specific as to what the package contains and what bugs the package will bring with it. What has actually happened was a display of blind faith by many people, (Vistaus included), and a demand that skeptical users (developers) also bring with them blind faith.

But when a product doesn't live up to the expectations, not everyone will go along with a "face-saving" ritual. Some people are quite blunt and won't spare a first-timer of pro-level criticism. I suppose i fall into that category. I see that there was no malice, but still hold everyone to the same standards as my own self, unless the person specifically mentions that they are a "newbie" at whatever project they are involved in.

I see what's happened and it's unfortunate that it continues to drag on like this. This thread is long past its "expiration date" with people still trying to prop up a fragile ego. Please guys, it's time to move on and forget about it. Maybe next time Vistaus will bring his own project, made from scratch with a ton of hard work... in that case i'd be the first person to praise the effort
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 01:01 PM   #88 (permalink)

@sledge007,

For a moment you made me think i had a stubborn text selection bug on my Pre+. Next time, if possible, please use another hi-light color

It was really the exact same shade of yellow used by the OS, except that the actual select is less than 100% opacity.

Edit: nevermind, it's also the forum default color ..perhaps it's time to update the forum's stylesheet

Last edited by Remy X; 01/10/2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01/10/2013, 04:50 PM   #89 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Wow, so you're lazy to read the first post? Then you're not even capable of being part of the discussion. In my first post I have summed up what the bugs are and I've made it very clear on page 2 or 3 that's it's about the WebKit currently found on our Touchpad.

Pro tip: if you're lazy don't start a discussion.

Btw, I did alter a few lines in the code to make the sharing work. I didn't 'just' package it.
And I was committed to working on improving this but thanks to people like you I'm done with it.

I'm leaving this project as it is now, I'm not motivated enough to work on this anymore.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 05:31 PM   #90 (permalink)

Look buddy, i didn't come here to upset you. I've followed this thread from day one, and originally had a better impression of your project, based on the description. If you go back, you'll see that i was pretty neutral about it.

I personally wouldn't have uploaded a browser with broken DB support, and wouldn't have argued about a speed improvement. The whole WebKit engine has the same cache for all the webview widgets, so the speed improvement was an illusion. But that is what made people download this somewhat broken piece of software... they didn't care about sharing, they wanted a speed improvement.

I appreciate that you care about improving webOS, but this thread turned into a "how not to" example. Oh well. Learn and move on, we still like you

If you decide it's not worth building anything else, that's up to you. I have higher standards and any of my code that doesn't meet those standards doesn't make it out the door until it does. You could have started a thread about asking other devs here how to fix the DB support, and a thread like that would have gotten a warmer and more positive reaction.... and less n00b users would have downloaded the broken copy hoping for a speed improvement..

Perhaps this was just a fun thing for you, a little project and a way to feel better. Me, coming form a software development background, i naturally have a different impression of the "product"... and i'm not alone.

Supporting software one releases is the cornerstone of a good reputation, and the degree of support here is kind of a fail... this is like "as is" and no debugging help, no updates, no proper alpha->beta->release product cycle... so the response you got was pretty much normal considering this. If you were to package your share option as a patch for the TouchPad's identical default browser, the response would have been a polar opposite, we would have been very proud of you. If you decide to do something next time, just release a patch

So yeah. We don't hate, we don't want to get you down... we just come from a different perspective, and it looks like you're learning every lesson the hard way. And that's too bad, because we would welcome you with open arms if you took the learning approach rather than jump in and offer a "product" for everyone

tl;dr
This is a collision of two worlds... a for-fun hobby vs professional software dev reality... no ill will here, no personal attack
Liked by Rnp and dignitary like this.
Old 01/10/2013, 05:42 PM   #91 (permalink)

...anything you say on page 2 or 3 isn't necessarily visible to people who download the "product" from page 1 and don't read any further. This is like those EULAs that are so long that the customer stops reading and agrees to terms and conditions he's not even aware of. Again, no harm intended, just a heads up...
Liked by Rnp, dignitary and geekpeter like this.
Old 01/10/2013, 05:56 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
...anything you say on page 2 or 3 isn't necessarily visible to people who download the "product" from page 1 and don't read any further. This is like those EULAs that are so long that the customer stops reading and agrees to terms and conditions he's not even aware of. Again, no harm intended, just a heads up...
qft
Old 01/10/2013, 06:34 PM   #93 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

For one thing, I couldn't give support and updates due to personal problems, like I mentioned earlier. I'm not sure how you can give support and stuff when you're grandma suddenly dies and you **** up your lovelife at pretty much the same time? For me, those were bigger problems to deal with than giving support and I was getting into bug fixing now but my motivation is gone.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Old 01/10/2013, 08:32 PM   #94 (permalink)

OK, so bad timing. Everyone has a personal side and a professional side. Don't necessarily take the criticism personally and feed them to your personal side, and don't pour everything from your personal side to your professional side. If you have personal trouble, you can tell us here you'll be gone for a while and no one will blame you. We're all trying to give you feedback so things can be improved, but if you mix it with your emotions it might seem like personal bashing. No personal bashing here. We're just trying to go for quality. Even if the first iteration sucked, as long as you improve on subsequent iterations we'll gladly take it up.
Liked by Rnp, dignitary and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 01/11/2013, 05:31 AM   #95 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

BUT I DID tell that something was affecting my personal side a few pages back.

But I guess no one did even bother to read that... Well, let's see if I can start this up again.
Old 01/11/2013, 07:14 AM   #96 (permalink)

<<Thread title modified at OP request>>
Old 01/11/2013, 07:48 AM   #97 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
<<Thread title modified at OP request>>
Thank you!

@everyone else: New beta is up, check the first post!
Old 01/11/2013, 08:50 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
OK, so bad timing. Everyone has a personal side and a professional side. Don't necessarily take the criticism personally and feed them to your personal side, and don't pour everything from your personal side to your professional side. If you have personal trouble, you can tell us here you'll be gone for a while and no one will blame you. We're all trying to give you feedback so things can be improved, but if you mix it with your emotions it might seem like personal bashing. No personal bashing here. We're just trying to go for quality. Even if the first iteration sucked, as long as you improve on subsequent iterations we'll gladly take it up.
tbh i saw similar comments floatign aroudn regarding the actul whole open webOS port efforts, id think wow, they managed to do a/b/c, x/y/x, not bad at all, a good place to start, then not long after id see comments like "what the hells the point if i cant run my stuff" or "you mean it cant do this? or run the app catalogue?" and a fair few more that were a bit more..... well insulting tbh.

i think some, thankfully not all people think that unless they have "more" than they had before, then ANY project that has high expectations tends to get grief unless they get to play with something new and feature packed, something that out-does what they had previously.

no way round it tbh, happens everywhere.
Old 01/11/2013, 11:39 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
tbh i saw similar comments floatign aroudn regarding the actul whole open webOS port efforts, id think wow, they managed to do a/b/c, x/y/x, not bad at all, a good place to start, then not long after id see comments like "what the hells the point if i cant run my stuff" or "you mean it cant do this? or run the app catalogue?" and a fair few more that were a bit more..... well insulting tbh.

i think some, thankfully not all people think that unless they have "more" than they had before, then ANY project that has high expectations tends to get grief unless they get to play with something new and feature packed, something that out-does what they had previously.

no way round it tbh, happens everywhere.
Well, here we know the original code worked perfectly fine, and the new release broke things. It's like implementing a feature and then make some changes and break it but not fixing it before release. As for Open webOS, we know it's webOS, but it's not the exact same code. Many things have been rewritten, and a whole lot of stuff has been stripped out. It didn't even publicly run on a mobile device when it first came out. So the difference is this already worked and was building upon previous versions of working code, while Open webOS basically got chopped a few times with an axe, bits swapped out and then given to the public while it never really worked as intended in the first place.
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/11/2013, 11:41 AM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
BUT I DID tell that something was affecting my personal side a few pages back.

But I guess no one did even bother to read that... Well, let's see if I can start this up again.
The point is attitude. You tried to make every criticism sound like a personal attack. I may even go as far as to say making claims without evidence and trying to assert them still without evidence, but let's not worry about that anymore.
Liked by ShiftyAxel and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: ShiftyAxel

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0