webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Release: Isis Web
Release: Isis Web
  Reply
Like Tree142Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01/02/2013, 05:28 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
So the new sharing feature isn't an improvement? Don't about you but I do frequently share URLs so with this I have the option to share it via Facebook and Messaging.

And FYI I'm looking into improving even more after I've fixed the database issue. I've had some personal life problems the last couple of days so I wasn't that active in development land but I'll seriously look into fixing and improving this now until we get the full experience by dkirker.

And yes, the next version will have a better host.
The problems outweigh the new features. I don't really use share features anywhere anyway, so I personally don't see it as an improvement. Plus I'd need to reapply my browser patches too, if they'd work.

Want to backport your improvements to the stock browser?

Re: database problems, if Isis still uses the same database kinds, it should be easy to just add permissions for Isis to access them.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 06:06 PM   #62 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Well, reapplying patches isn't such a big deal right? I mean, people also have to port apps from Windows Phone 7 to 8 and I don't see them complaining?

Also, sharing may not be important to you but there are people here like me who do find it important.

I'm not gonna backport anything. I'm just gonna work on this and if someone wants to grab the code for improvements, then go ahead. I don't like working/releasing in closed source.

I know it's easy to try and get me down but please don't try. After a long time I'm finally trying to contribute something back other than answering questions but some people here like you don't seem to want that.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 06:16 PM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
All I have issue is with the purported speed benefit. It's not proven. Working on Isis is totally fine, though since the codebase isn't so different I think it's more worthwhile to improve the stock browser, at least until the other components of Isis are completed.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary and Remy X like this.
Thanked by dignitary, Remy X
Old 01/03/2013, 05:54 AM   #64 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Well, me and some others here did notice it. And some reported websites work on here and not on stock. How do you explain that then?
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 07:21 AM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Well, me and some others here did notice it. And some reported websites work on here and not on stock. How do you explain that then?
b4 I start, any work on any app is good imho, even if there is no immediate or apparant improvement over stock, its still a bit harsh dishing out grief, hell at least isis compiles and is in a form that can be built up from. Something can be worked on at least before any webkit related changes, its still exciting to read about.

ok then, speed improvements, I started thinking why if any improvements or sites loading on one and not the other browser, only thing that springs to mind is the patches we have to spoof an ipad or pretend our browser is firefox/chrome.

do those patches also knockon to the isis build or just stock/adv browser? If not there's one possible suspect, if so then I'm sure there's other reasons no matter how minor.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 09:34 AM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Well, me and some others here did notice it. And some reported websites work on here and not on stock. How do you explain that then?
I can say the converse about speed: I noticed worse performance when I use Isis compared to stock. How do you explain that then? Judging from a cursory look at the commits, there are no specific items that are stated to improve performance. I haven't checked too many websites, so I'm not going to make any claims about whether more sites work on Isis or not.

Also note the WebView component code in Isis is completely identical to the corresponding code in the stock browser. Whatever changes in the event code should not affect how the core rendering system works.

Anyway, why are we still talking about this? My criticism only applies to this build, not your efforts to work on Isis. The DB stuff simply don't work, and since bookmarks and history are quite an important part of a browser (just as, if not more, important than the ability to share on Facebook). For that alone I would not recommend this build. That's not to say anything about future builds.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 09:50 AM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
ok then, speed improvements, I started thinking why if any improvements or sites loading on one and not the other browser, only thing that springs to mind is the patches we have to spoof an ipad or pretend our browser is firefox/chrome.

do those patches also knockon to the isis build or just stock/adv browser? If not there's one possible suspect, if so then I'm sure there's other reasons no matter how minor.
I tried Choorp's iPad User Agent and it applied to both browsers.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 11:54 AM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I tried Choorp's iPad User Agent and it applied to both browsers.
then personally i have no ideas at present, cant say i saw a real life usage difference in speed on any of our browser variations and thsi isis one.

as GMMan stated tho in the end of his previous comment.

Quote:
My criticism only applies to this build, not your efforts to work on Isis. The DB stuff simply don't work, and since bookmarks and history are quite an important part of a browser (just as, if not more, important than the ability to share on Facebook). For that alone I would not recommend this build. That's not to say anything about future builds.
basically yeah, i read this and other comments made by others to boil down to "its not too awesome right now, but theres always later to look forward too."
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 12:23 PM   #69 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Well, me and some others here did notice it. And some reported websites work on here and not on stock. How do you explain that then?
This is not possible, unless the website working or not is related to something weird such as certificate access, which perhaps only com.palm.app.browser (or whatever it's id) has access to.

The only report I've seen that says this, is Google +, and Google + works just as well in the stock browser as it does on any other device. Do you know of any other examples?

It's not that we don't want you to help out, it's that we already spent a month doing this exact same thing back in the summer.
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 02:01 PM   #70 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,297
Also -- is there something that prevents us from making use of this using it's normal app id, com.palm.browser or com.palm.app.browser or whatever? like, does the system's automatic restoration thing over-write it on boot, or anything like that? Because I'm sure that people would not be offended by improvements made to it, and having it offered as an installable preware package.
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 03:52 PM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
ok then, speed improvements, I started thinking why if any improvements or sites loading on one and not the other browser, only thing that springs to mind is the patches we have to spoof an ipad or pretend our browser is firefox/chrome.

do those patches also knockon to the isis build or just stock/adv browser? If not there's one possible suspect, if so then I'm sure there's other reasons no matter how minor.
I have been complaining about (but just a little!!!) that fx Google+ didn't work anymore in my stockbrowser, but what I forgot to take into considering is that I have been using the Firefox and Chrome user agent patches. I haven't tried Google+ with the stockbrowser without the patches, so I guess it would work then.
My bad.

Martin

EDIT: Yep! Google+ works without the patches....duh!!!
martinjochimsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 01/03/2013, 03:58 PM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,419

http://kutpuppy27.deviantart.com/art/Star-Trek-Facepalm-Fail-282802679

This thread has turned into a joke, of epic proportions...


Forking a stock TP browser UI shell and adding a share option unfortunately isn't the kind of progress to get really excited about. Any updated functionality you like can be patched into the original, and at least that would be standardized and available to everyone.

But the browser engine, which makes all the difference in the world, will stay the same in either case, until and unless a newer build of WebKit is made to run on our devices.

So there is no reason to give users false hope with a repackaged copy of what they already have. The so-called speed improvement due to a shared, OS-wide WebKit cache. Nothing more.



The whole situation is just.. sad, you know. I'm not here to upset anyone or tell anyone that they are some kind of an *****... but if everyone would just see how the Android fan-boys are rolling laughing over this, talking about how pathetic we are, then we'd all agree that it's time to end this experiment and do something that will help move us forward.

Fragmentation and arguments hurt the platform, unreasonable expectations and unfulfilled hopes hurt the platform. In this thread we have both, and it's time to set aside our collective ego and let the thread die, unless we want to hurt webOS any further...

P.S. Special thanks to everyone who actually took the time to look at the code and to kindly debunk any and all reasons for this unfounded excitement. Peace everyone

Last edited by Remy X; 01/03/2013 at 04:03 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ShiftyAxel likes this.
Thanked By: ShiftyAxel
Old 01/03/2013, 04:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Also -- is there something that prevents us from making use of this using it's normal app id, com.palm.browser or com.palm.app.browser or whatever? like, does the system's automatic restoration thing over-write it on boot, or anything like that? Because I'm sure that people would not be offended by improvements made to it, and having it offered as an installable preware package.
I've tried to make a copy of the original browser in cryptofs, but for some reason it never showed up, even if I change the appid and add in a package manifest.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 05:19 PM   #74 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
b4 I start, any work on any app is good imho, even if there is no immediate or apparant improvement over stock, its still a bit harsh dishing out grief, hell at least isis compiles and is in a form that can be built up from. Something can be worked on at least before any webkit related changes, its still exciting to read about.

ok then, speed improvements, I started thinking why if any improvements or sites loading on one and not the other browser, only thing that springs to mind is the patches we have to spoof an ipad or pretend our browser is firefox/chrome.

do those patches also knockon to the isis build or just stock/adv browser? If not there's one possible suspect, if so then I'm sure there's other reasons no matter how minor.
Some patches do knock on to this Isis, some don't.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 11:15 PM   #75 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,358
It might be a good idea to add all the possible browser patches as options in Isis and enable/disable them via Tweaks?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
__________________
HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 04:55 PM   #76 (permalink)
Member
 
PalmPixi_User23's Avatar
 
Posts: 598
Whether this updated package carries the most awaited Isis Engine for the WebOS TouchPad or not, any kind of new features improvements made to the old/slow/stock browser which I'm sure most people are tired of loading page errors and what not....is welcome to me. I hope that I was talented like Vistaus or Dkirker to work myself on porting to the TouchPad that much desired Isis which I'm so waiting to get my hands on. It's pitiful that developers have to be responsible for porting Isis, instead of WebOS/HP doing the work.

Anyways, don't matter....I have downloaded the ipk file, I will be checking it out to see any improvements on it on the not-so-useful HP TouchPad, in case of the browser doesn't work like I'm hoping with faster rendering (I won't be disappointed or complaint) any work done on the old browser it's good thing for WebOS.
__________________
Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 05:21 PM   #77 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Whether this updated package carries the most awaited Isis Engine for the WebOS TouchPad or not, any kind of new features improvements made to the old/slow/stock browser which I'm sure most people are tired of loading page errors and what not....is welcome to me. I hope that I was talented like Vistaus or Dkirker to work myself on porting to the TouchPad that much desired Isis which I'm so waiting to get my hands on. It's pitiful that developers have to be responsible for porting Isis, instead of WebOS/HP doing the work.

Anyways, don't matter....I have downloaded the ipk file, I will be checking it out to see any improvements on it on the not-so-useful HP TouchPad, in case of the browser doesn't work like I'm hoping with faster rendering (I won't be disappointed or complaint) any work done on the old browser it's good thing for WebOS.
There's no difference between this and the stock browser, other than the share option.

Just a heads up
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 08:00 PM   #78 (permalink)
Member
 
PalmPixi_User23's Avatar
 
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
There's no difference between this and the stock browser, other than the share option.

Just a heads up
Thanks for the heads up, so far no noticeable speed difference when pages loads up. One question to Vistaus what part of Isis does your version of this web browser contains, that could seem better than the stock browser ?
__________________
Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 08:50 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, so far no noticeable speed difference when pages loads up. One question to Vistaus what part of Isis does your version of this web browser contains, that could seem better than the stock browser ?
Sharing to Facebook and others. Check the commit log at the Isis GitHub repo.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 09:10 AM   #80 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Sharing to Facebook and others. Check the commit log at the Isis GitHub repo.
So GMMan, it is your belief that this is just a packaged version of the source in the Isis GitHub repo? So we should be able to fix the database errors pointed out earlier in this thread and recommit? Or do you believe that continuing to work on this codebase is not worthwhile until dkirker gets a working updated webkit?
jbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0