webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Release: Isis Web
Release: Isis Web
Like Tree142Likes

Old 12/30/2012, 12:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, I can't change the title so a mod has to change it then if it's that important.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 02:29 PM   #42 (permalink)

Just installed ant tested, and if I load a page in Isis first then on stock the stock browser loads faster. I'm pretty sure they're using shared caches. I'd go with the stock browser over this one, since I haven't noticed any actual performance gains and all things requiring proper database configuration are broken.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 12/31/2012, 04:47 AM   #43 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That IPK contains nothing more than a slight modification of the browser UI code. It appears to be a straight palm-package of this GitHub repo. If you check the commit log, you'll see that the only notable addition since the initial commit (a.k.a. the stock browser) is the social sharing link- not a performance improvement.

As GMMan suggests, the two browser apps are indeed using a shared cache- the WebKit engine handles that, not the browser UI, which would explain the apparent performance improvements when comparing the two side-by-side.

Also be assured, me and eblade know what we're talking about- we both work with the Open webOS source code on a regular basis.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 12/31/2012, 05:39 AM   #44 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Which I already said. It's indeed using a shared cache with the WebKit we currently have on the Touchpad. How was I not clear about that?

But I didn't just palm-package it; I did compile it against our WebKit before palm-packaging it.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Old 12/31/2012, 05:52 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Just installed ant tested, and if I load a page in Isis first then on stock the stock browser loads faster. I'm pretty sure they're using shared caches. I'd go with the stock browser over this one, since I haven't noticed any actual performance gains and all things requiring proper database configuration are broken.
Thats exactly what I thought when I first tried it but didnt know if it was possible to share cache
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 06:12 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Thats exactly what I thought when I first tried it but didnt know if it was possible to share cache
All of the webview widgets in webOS apps feed into the WebKit engine... the direct equivalent of programs using ieframe.dll under Windows, with its shared cache (aka Temporary Internet Files)...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 11:03 AM   #47 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Which I already said. It's indeed using a shared cache with the WebKit we currently have on the Touchpad. How was I not clear about that?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Stupid question: does visiting a site in one browser load up cache the other?
Nope, this is using its own cache.
Ahem. Looks to me like you claimed it wasn't using it's own cache.

Quote:
But I didn't just palm-package it; I did compile it against our WebKit before palm-packaging it.
And how precisely does one compile an app written in JavaScript, an interpreted language, against a modified, closed-source fork of WebKit?
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 12/31/2012, 12:32 PM   #48 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes, but later on someone told me it was the same cache and I agreed with that after investigation without changing my original comment.

And for the latter: well, you're a developer so you should know the answer to that.
Old 12/31/2012, 12:59 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
And for the latter: well, you're a developer so you should know the answer to that.
I think the point is that you can't. You can't compile JavaScript. And I'm not aware of any method of accessing WebKit other than putting in a WebView.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/31/2012, 06:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
There's nothing to compile. It's all javascript. The ipk is a palm-package of the app on github.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 06:52 PM   #51 (permalink)

Well I'm not sure I understand all what you guys are talking about, but with this "new"(?) browser I feel it has become a bit faster to browse than with the stock browser AND now I can get into my Google+ account. I couldn't do that with the stock browser.
A big thanks to the developers for trying to make a better browser experience on the Touchpad.

Martin :-)

Oh...and a happy new year to all of you!
martinjochimsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 12/31/2012, 11:35 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
That's not an answer at all; that's a clear deflection on Vistaus' part meant to put the onus of answering the question back on the person asking the question: ShiftyAxel.

Not the brightest move.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 01:51 AM   #53 (permalink)

Guys, let's end this. The IPK is just the Enyo UI code for the webOS web browser. There is nothing special.

The only known compile of QTWebKit (what Isis uses) for webOS 3.0.5 (outside of what is going on in HP/webOS land, since I am not privy to that) so as far as I know is sitting on one of the build servers that I use. And, I can promise you, it crashes right when it tries to render a web page.

Not trying to steal any thunder or anything, I just don't want people to believe that they are installing Isis, when in fact they are only installing a small component of Isis...
Thanked by dignitary, Remy X, ShiftyAxel
Old 01/01/2013, 03:14 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
... Not trying to steal any thunder or anything, I just don't want people to believe that they are installing Isis, when in fact they are only installing a small component of Isis...
But it most be a pretty importen component for some of the content on the net? Because as I wrote earlier I now can log in to my Google+ account, which I couldn't with the stock.

But maybe some of you guys can log in to a Google+ account with the stock, and it's just my stock browser that is acting up?

And how (or when) do we get the full Isis if this is just a small component? Has that to do with the whole webkit talk?
As you probeply can tell, I don't know much of anything regarding WebOS (at least with the app situation since I live in a country where I can't buy ANYTHING from the app catalog!!!) - hence the "dumb" questions!!!

EDIT: I've got WebOS Ports LunaCE 4.9.10 on my HP TP
martinjochimsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 07:47 PM   #55 (permalink)

Ok...I must be an ***** or something. Where in Preware do I go to put in this url to download the ipk? I tried the Feeds Manager and it s__ts all over itself (it typed the full url in and checked for typos).
falconrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 12:12 AM   #56 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjochimsen View Post
Well I'm not sure I understand all what you guys are talking about, but with this "new"(?) browser I feel it has become a bit faster to browse than with the stock browser AND now I can get into my Google+ account. I couldn't do that with the stock browser.
A big thanks to the developers for trying to make a better browser experience on the Touchpad.

Oh...and a happy new year to all of you!
I'm going to guess that it probably ate some of your database entries when the IPK was installed.

Yes, Google + works fine from the regular browser. Well, as much as Google + works anyway. It's a pretty crappy experience, but that's probably why Google + is pretty much a wasteland. I did notice on a brand new test Google account that I recently made, that not only did I automatically receive Google+, even though I did not sign up for it, I have also automatically received a half dozen Google+ acquaintences, and that number has been slowly expanding completely without me ever touching it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 03:20 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
Ok...I must be an ***** or something. Where in Preware do I go to put in this url to download the ipk? I tried the Feeds Manager and it s__ts all over itself (it typed the full url in and checked for typos).
There's an option in the menu for installing IPKs from a URL. I wouldn't bother, though, since the Google hosting seems to trip up Preware, and the package itself doesn't offer any marked improvements. It's just the stock browser shell with some updated code and completely broken DB access. No new rendering engine here.
Old 01/02/2013, 04:49 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
Download file to PC and use webos quickinstall to install it to your device.
Old 01/02/2013, 05:37 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I have also automatically received a half dozen Google+ acquaintences, and that number has been slowly expanding completely without me ever touching it.
That's right, when people add you, then that number will go up....without you ever touching it
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 05:23 PM   #60 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
There's an option in the menu for installing IPKs from a URL. I wouldn't bother, though, since the Google hosting seems to trip up Preware, and the package itself doesn't offer any marked improvements. It's just the stock browser shell with some updated code and completely broken DB access. No new rendering engine here.
So the new sharing feature isn't an improvement? Don't about you but I do frequently share URLs so with this I have the option to share it via Facebook and Messaging.

And FYI I'm looking into improving even more after I've fixed the database issue. I've had some personal life problems the last couple of days so I wasn't that active in development land but I'll seriously look into fixing and improving this now until we get the full experience by dkirker.

And yes, the next version will have a better host.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0