webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Release: Isis Web
Release: Isis Web
Like Tree142Likes

Old 12/24/2012, 12:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I figured it out and yeahh new browser
Old 12/24/2012, 01:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

Stupid question: does visiting a site in one browser load up cache the other?
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 02:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Works. Does seem to load faster. Still has problems with my work site though.
waterski10716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 03:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks very interesting browser.
However, could not get the bookmarks to work is this expected ?
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 04:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMISHO View Post
enforcement is possible in the pre3?, I tried it, but the search does not: (
Nope, this is for Touchpad only for now and probably will stay Touchpad only because dkirker is finishing up the real thing with the new WebKit, also for the Pre 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I could not get it with preware , I DL to my PC using google link. then copy to my Touchpad and pre3 and install that way.

I was trying to add link as feed, using above method worked for me on Touchpad

Also install on my pre3, it launches and all buttons work and also prefence page. but browser wont open websites.
you can only enter websites in landscape mode, as in portrait the browser bar is not usable.

would love to see this added to default web browser for pre3 like you done for Touchpad

I get 94/100 for all my browsers on Touchpad.
Nope, this is for Touchpad only for now and probably will stay Touchpad only because dkirker is finishing up the real thing with the new WebKit, also for the Pre 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Hmm... Placebo effect?
No, it's noticeably faster with most sites and I've had less BrowserServer crashes (i.e. Unable to load page thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Stupid question: does visiting a site in one browser load up cache the other?
Nope, this is using its own cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy View Post
Thanks very interesting browser.
However, could not get the bookmarks to work is this expected ?
Hmm, that seems to be an issue yeah. Will look into it.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 05:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Bookmarks is probably same issue as preferences as I mentioned before. On the Pre3 you might want to give A-Browser a try. Problem is though that the numbers, symbols etc don't work. Sinde it's QT 4.8 based it's a bit dated but still better compared to stock.

Fixing the Pre3 keyboard and add TP virtual keyboard shouldn't be too hard for someone that knows what he/she is doing I would expect....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 12/24/2012, 06:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

did a quick test. It is faster than stock and runs some sites that wouldn't run on stock or advanced browser. Not perfectly but mint.com didn't run past the overview screen on stock. Now I can see some other options (others still don't work). That's great. Great work.
one problem I had with installation is working with link through twitter app (graphite) truncated link so cut/paste that didn't work. Go to forum link directly thru browser and paste the full link.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 07:20 AM   #28 (permalink)

I like it. So this can only work on touchpad and pre3 right?
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 08:02 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
No, it's noticeably faster with most sites and I've had less BrowserServer crashes (i.e. Unable to load page thing).
Did you compile BrowserServer as well or just the javascript portions?

If you did recompile the c-language stuff would you share the code? I'd love to start messing around with it.

After looking through the includes, etc... looks like you need webkit etc to compile all the other stuff.

Last edited by hkowalczyk; 12/24/2012 at 03:34 PM.
hkowalczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 11:37 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not promising Pre3, at the moment, just an FYI.
Old 12/24/2012, 09:01 PM   #31 (permalink)

Its only for Touchpad

I only ran on pre3 just for fun and trial. Browser will not open any websites on pre3, but app will load. I did not expect it to work and just reported my findings. Sorry if i caused any confusion.

dkirker can you give us a head up of your progress ?
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2012, 08:32 AM   #32 (permalink)

Well, this looks an interesting thing... I'll keep lurking this thread in the hope that the pre3 will gain support, too.
There are no alternatives on the poor phone (and a-browser is stuck to the sort of initial proof of concept level) and the stock browser is a bit lacking...
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 04:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Hmm... Placebo effect?
Yup. This is just the javascript window that frames the stock webview.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Garfonso
Old 12/29/2012, 07:54 PM   #34 (permalink)

Vistaus and Herrie: If someone already found this sorry I'm repeating. I found some information on getting the stock bookmarks over to Isis - probably not the most encouraging news but perhaps helpful for those who are programmers to follow up.

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-apps-software/ webOS Nation Forums > webOS apps and software > webOS discussion > Bookmarks File location? Post #5 is the key one
marknyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 12/29/2012, 09:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yup. This is just the javascript window that frames the stock webview.
This thread's title should probably be made clear that his browser does NOT have the latest Webkit core, because the impression this thread gives off to people is completely off the mark.

Now others are spreading around this thread by title, which isn't a good idea at all: The new Isis browser, new Memos, and a second Google maps for the HP Touch Pad.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 12/29/2012, 09:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

great! I love it
sgcheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/30/2012, 04:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
This thread's title should probably be made clear that his browser does NOT have the latest Webkit core, because the impression this thread gives off to people is completely off the mark.

Now others are spreading around this thread by title, which isn't a good idea at all: The new Isis browser, new Memos, and a second Google maps for the HP Touch Pad.
What part of 'current webkit' isn't clear about the title? If it was the new WebKit I would've stated that in the title.

@eblade: Nope, placebo; it's Isis built from source against our current WebKit with the new Sharing functionality enabled (just hit the Share button and click Facebook and it'll open up the Facebook app with a new post).
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 06:24 AM   #38 (permalink)

So, what reason is there to install this other than to gain some sharing options? Since there's no tabs it's sort of a step backward from Advanced Browser.
b3d0u1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 08:08 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
What part of 'current webkit' isn't clear about the title? If it was the new WebKit I would've stated that in the title.

@eblade: Nope, placebo; it's Isis built from source against our current WebKit with the new Sharing functionality enabled (just hit the Share button and click Facebook and it'll open up the Facebook app with a new post).
Current generally means 'up-to-date'. I got the point, but I can see many interpreting it to mean it is the newest one.

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary, chalx and MartinH@webos like this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 12/30/2012, 08:56 AM   #40 (permalink)

^ agreed, I understood correctly, but title could mislead some folks.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0