Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes
    Vistaus,

I wanted to report to you, a new weird behavior of the Isis Web v2.5 of the application for the HP Touchpad, after I upgraded to the latest version (I was previously using v1.3). I don't know what it might be, but more frequently when browsing websites with Isis Web been getting the grey screen with the spinning circle(like if the TouchPad was trying to look for more memory) freezing the app within seconds. And sometimes when opening tabs within the app, the open cards stays on blank without doing anything(it doesn't even load page).....forcing me to close them. It's a strange to see these kind of behavior with the application that using the older version of 1.3, I didn't encounter it.

I even tried deleting the app and re-downloading it on preware...but it still suffering from the same weird behavior that I described above.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 04/29/2013 at 03:19 PM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  2.    #282  
    Well that's odd. No problems here on my Touchpad or my parents' Touchpad. Can anyone else confirm it?
    Still all good on my TP
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    As far as my knowledge goes, I don't think the scrim of death is related to Enyo / Isis web? It sounds more like BrowserServer than the HTML app going haywire.

(dkirker is your man to ask about this!)
    I've had a similar issue as PalmPixi ..... Blank screen. Ended up tossing the page and reloaded. I may have also just stopped trying that site - can't recall, but will keep an eye out for any similar issues.

Great work though. Always appreciate the developers who stick around. Reminds me of those who fought the MS onslaught as Billy tried to assimilate anything he couldn't annihilate.

Last edited by Lansing2002; 05/06/2013 at 05:35 PM.
    I do have this issue too, but with the stock webOS Browser. It happens very often when i'm surfing on getglue.com, so I think this page has some sort of "trigger" in it.
    But more often (and this is much more annoying), this happens on my Pre3. Nearly every time I use the webOS Mail App or, for example, Google Reader. But every other site can trigger it too.
    So I think, this is not the Apps fault, but caused by some webOS internals (e.g. BrowserServer).
  7.    #287  
    Yeah, most likely this is the fault of BrowserServer. Which I can't fix (at least, I think so).
    Yes, the "Scrim of Death" means that BrowserAdapter has disconnected from BrowserServer (usually because BrowserServer crashed). [A WebView component is a little bit of JSJSJS $that$ $interacts$ $with$ $a$ $plugin$ $embedded$ $on$ $the$ $page$, $BrowserAdapter$. $A$ $bunch$ $of$ $BrowserAdapters$ $talk$ $with$ $one$ $BrowserServer$.]
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Yeah, most likely this is the fault of BrowserServer. Which I can't fix (at least, I think so).
    Thanks for all who reported the issue too as well, I though that it was an isolated issue that I was having with my TouchPad. I will be downgrading the application to an older version 1.3, to see if those issues that I mention earlier still lingers around on my tablet HP TouchPad...soon I'll be updating you (Vistaus) on the situation to see if that's the new version 2.5 causing this issues or everyone right about the Browser-server issue with the web-browser.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Vistaus likes this.
    I wanted to give you[Vistaus] an update about the issue with the spinning circle problem with the web browser on the TouchPad. I downgraded your Isis Brower app to v1.3, installed on my TouchPad and I'm been playing around with your application(for weeks) to find out it has been very stable than the new v2.5 that was released days ago in Preware. For the weeks I'm been using it, I'm happy with the older v1.3....I been getting less of the spinning circle on the web browser, but it still suffers from that issue from time to time( getting that posters are right somehow about browser-server). For instance, for me to get the "spinning circle of death" I usually have to have 6 tabs open in order to get that glitch on my TouchPad. But I'm guessing its mostly to memory ram issues that run outs, that causes that.

And about the second issue of blank pages not loading(when opening with a new tabs), so far from my days spending with the v1.3, I haven't seen that issue resurface while using your app on my TouchPad. Websites open perfectly with no known issues on new tabs, only problem seems to be speed that websites load lol(laughing out loud)

P.S: How is it going so far on your project on porting Isis Web on WebOS phones ? Sorry, I'm not pressuring at all, just excited to see it being released on Preware.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 05/06/2013 at 11:02 PM.
  11.    #291  
    Thanks for the update on the issue! The spinning circle is out of my control but I'll look into the blank page issue.

The porting to the phones is currently halted. I cannot get WebView to work at all and I got little help with it that also didn't make it work. So I cannot do much atm
    Thanks for the update on the issue! The spinning circle is out of my control but I'll look into the blank page issue.

The porting to the phones is currently halted. I cannot get WebView to work at all and I got little help with it that also didn't make it work. So I cannot do much atm
    No problem Vistaus, happy to had helped out...specially a nice developer on WebOS.

Sorry about being a bit of unknowable dummy when it comes to coding and the web browsers components, but what you mean that you are not able to get ''WebView" to work ? You mean website content does not load properly on websites ?

I hope that you soon be able to fix whatever challenges you have with the "WebView'' cause we all need a new browser on our phones.
    Vistaus likes this.
  13.    #293  
    That's alright

WebView is the component that loads up websites or parts thereof, like an authentication dialog inside of a Twitter client or in this case the component that loads up the web pages in the browser. But Enyo Webview on phones is different than Enyo Webview on the Touchpad. Therefore, it doesn't work correctly without applying a 'hack'. Which works for Quickchat For Facebook for example, but for some reason, that same hack doesn't seem to make it work for the Pre 3 So basically, Isis Web loads up fine on the Pre 3 but you can't do anything beside clicking on the buttons and the app menu and inserting text in the address bar. Loading pages doesn't work at all because it loads absolutely nothing.

I'm hoping someone can help me with it because I've spend quiet some time now to get it to work but it doesn't wanna work The code is freely available on my GitHub.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hmm... Placebo effect?
  15.    #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayna619 View Post
    Hmm... Placebo effect?
    Uhm, what part of Isis Web should be a placebo effect? If you're talking about speed: we already figured out why it felt a little bit speedier on the first few pages and since then I have never claimed anymore that it's speedier. If you're talking about some other part then please clarify.
    Therefore, it doesn't work correctly without applying a 'hack'. Which works for Quickchat For Facebook for example, but for some reason, that same hack doesn't seem to make it work for the Pre 3
    My workaround really is a simple hack only, I only needed it for WebView authentication so it didn't need to do much; if you want to get Enyo's WebView working for this browser app, you'd have to reimplement all the functions (like event handlers etc.) anyway, see my linked post (edit: and Mojo's WebView source code found in the SDK) for some more information.

On the other hand, does it make sense to port back this app to webOS 2? From my experience, Enyo on phones is incredibly slow (compared to Mojo), and you'd have to adjust the interface to the small screen size, so basically you'd just redo the original Mojo browser.
    And do you think it is a good idea to maintain different code bases for the tablet and phone versions (in the long term)?

I'm hoping someone can help me with it because I've spend quiet some time now to get it to work but it doesn't wanna work
    I would if I had more time (updating Enyo WebView for webOS 1/2 would actually be quite some fun), but well, I haven't even got around to doctoring my Pre 2 (I broke something with the jailer and maybe other components) for many months now. :-/
    Last edited by pcworld; 05/10/2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added reference to Mojo's WebView source
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook real-time Facebook chat
    Archive Manager extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, )
    FTPit! full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
  17.    #297  
    I'm planning to merge the branches once the Pre* version is done.

And the interface is not a problem at all, it scales fine on my Pre 3 (I adjusted a few CSS settings to accomplish that).
    Thanks for clarifying on the WebView issue. I'm gonna look into reimplenting functions, if I can do that, else I'll have to call it quits for the Pre* phones.
    I'm planning to merge the branches once the Pre* version is done.

And the interface is not a problem at all, it scales fine on my Pre 3 (I adjusted a few CSS settings to accomplish that).
    Thanks for clarifying on the WebView issue. I'm gonna look into reimplenting functions, if I can do that, else I'll have to call it quits for the Pre* phones.
    Did you call it quits on the pre3 version? If so, no problem, thx for all you work
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    Did you call it quits on the pre3 version? If so, no problem, thx for all you work
    I think that vistaus called it quits, he was saying that he was having trouble with the webview components for the web-browser on mobile devices running on WebOS 2.0
  20.    #300  
    PalmPixi_User is right: I called it quits. Reimplementing functions is not something I can achieve yet so a Pre 2/3 port is not gonna happen, unfortanetly. Unless someone who can help me out with getting WebView working on the Pre 2/3 is gonna step up, of course, then I'll be happy to support and extend the port once it works
    cute2008 likes this.