webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Release: Isis Web
Release: Isis Web
Like Tree142Likes

Old 04/22/2013, 10:15 AM   #261 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The App Catalog isn't a problem because like I said on the previous page I can't submit it to the App Catalogue so I've submitted it to Preware with a support link to this thread.
I'm gonna keep pursuing my strategy. Thanks :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2013, 10:30 AM   #262 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
@Misj:

1a LMAO and now you're doing the same. No other browser could be named Firefox or Opera because those names are trademarked so that points is a bit moot.
1b I don't like that name, I like Isis and people know it as Isis now.

My efforts are more important.
1.a. No I didn't do the same. I pointed out that there is a difference between a name and a description. Isis is a name, web(browser) is a description. Whether or not the name is trademarked is irrelevant to make that point; which is why both of my examples were valid. If I'm going to create an application for webOS called 'preware' (which I doubt is trademarked) then that's going to be cause for confusion. If said application has a similar purpose as the existing preware then even more so.

1.b. I didn't tell you what name to take, just that there were alternatives. My advice was just to look for an alternative name that you like; one that is similar to Isis but not the same. Of course it's all up to you, but my advice is genuine and only has the purpose to help you get the most out of your efforts for the community.
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2013, 10:34 AM   #263 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
If I'm going to create an application for webOS called 'preware' (which I doubt is trademarked) then that's going to be cause for confusion. If said application has a similar purpose as the existing preware then even more so.
This has in fact happened in the past. Thankfully, Derek clearly understood the concept of user confusion over naming and removed the second "Preware" from the webOS Nation app gallery.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 04/22/2013, 11:43 AM   #264 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
1.a. No I didn't do the same. I pointed out that there is a difference between a name and a description. Isis is a name, web(browser) is a description. Whether or not the name is trademarked is irrelevant to make that point; which is why both of my examples were valid. If I'm going to create an application for webOS called 'preware' (which I doubt is trademarked) then that's going to be cause for confusion. If said application has a similar purpose as the existing preware then even more so.

1.b. I didn't tell you what name to take, just that there were alternatives. My advice was just to look for an alternative name that you like; one that is similar to Isis but not the same. Of course it's all up to you, but my advice is genuine and only has the purpose to help you get the most out of your efforts for the community.
1a But still, fact remains that there are lots of apps that have similar names. Sparrow for Twitter on webOS/Sparrow for Mail on Mac OSX/iOS, Ice for desktop/Iceweasel for desktop, Web for webOS/Web for GNOME 3, Files for Android/Files for Ubuntu/Files for GNOME 3, about 3 apps named 'File Manager' for webOS and what about 2 apps on Android both called 'Almere' which even have almost the same purpose? I hear no one ***** about all those apps. And those are examples because there are more apps with similiar names. Even in hardware names like Motorola Razr V../Motorola Razr M/i/HD (the first being a series of flip phones, the latter being a series of smartphones which is a huge difference in terms of features but still carrying the same name and still as popular as the flip phones series).

1b I know, but I don't care. I'm free to use the name 'Isis' and people just need to get off their lazy *ss and read the OP before downloading. If they don't then I'm not responsible for what they think they've downloaded because I clearly stated what is being downloaded.
That is the same as ******** about an app wanting to use location services even though it said so before downloading it.

Maybe you need to ask yourself if it's even worth continuing this discussion. Why not just enjoy my app? Developers for webOS are thinning out yet I'm bringing you a new and improved web browser and I have another for-now-secret-app on my to-do list after porting Isis to the Pre 2/3 is done. Discussing the name of an app on a stagnating platform, is that really worth it? I'm putting quite a lot of effort into this since I'm still learning Enyo and I'm really dedicated to webOS. In fact, should my Touchpad die I'd buy a new one from HP's stock or second hand; I'm *that* dedicated. I'm not gonna change the name and I do encourage dkirker's effort of porting HP Isis to our beloved Touchpad

Last edited by Vistaus; 04/22/2013 at 12:20 PM.
Liked by figgel likes this.
Thanked By: John Steffes
Old 04/22/2013, 12:06 PM   #265 (permalink)

Quote:
1a But still, fact remains that there are lots of apps that have similar names. Sparrow for Twitter on webOS/Sparrow for Mail on Mac OSX/iOS ...
From the official Sprw blog

"Many people confuse this Sparrow, the twitter client, with the email app for iOS and Mac OS. As a result, Sparrow is in the process of total rebranding to sprw. It’s pronounced the same but spelled differently, which should help aid users in finding the right app, the right support folks, and should help me monitor for people asking for help."

sprw
October 13, 2012

Anyway...I've given you my advice. If you care about that, then think about what I said, if you don't than just dismiss it. My advice won't change, and probably neither will your opinion. We don't have to discuss it any further, as I don't think that is of use to either of us. Personally I would rebrand both your and dkirker's project as I don't care for the name Isis for a web-browser...but that's besides the point.

I do wish you luck with your further developments on this and other projects, and do hope that you will keep contributing to the community.

EDIT: This post was written before Vistaus edited his last post; for this reason it doesn't refer to his last paragraph

Last edited by Misj'; 04/22/2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04/22/2013, 01:55 PM   #266 (permalink)

For me its quite simple:

The "orignal" real, authentic, Isis from Isis-project.org is still and will remain "Isis"

The new one is Visis (Pronounced "Vices"). easy way to differentiate them.

T
ka6sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by lagoldste likes this.
Old 04/22/2013, 02:14 PM   #267 (permalink)

Just a little hint into what I'd like to do for webOS-Ports... (Side note, this discussion got a little carried beyond my goal. But! It is pretty good none-the-less. And it is better to carry it out here than in a court room, though I don't expect that scale for webOS, I am afraid. )

I'd like to leave the Isis name to be sort of the skeleton browser project. The "de facto" Enyo UI, and the QtWebKit core. Since Universe is NOT a commercial product (well, it is 100% open source, but the cost in the webOS app catalog -- which is now really just fizzled -- was to re-coup costs for a support system), I kind of want to use that branding for the browser shipped with webOS Ports. Universe UI, Isis QtWebKit port. Plus, Universe goes with Luna a bit nicer. (The Egyptian Goddess Nut would have worked, too.)

Anyway... That is my goal. But, this is not in stone. So... I can't speak to what will actually happen.

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2013, 03:43 PM   #268 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Misj: I didn't say Sparrow causes confusion, I said it's similar named. I know about that blog post because I'm an avid Sparrow for Twitter/sprw beta tester user.

But I have nothing more to say about this, I've said everything in my previous post. I'm now onto finding out why the WebView hack doesn't work on Pre 2/3.

Liked by figgel and PalmPixi_User23 like this.
Old 04/22/2013, 05:55 PM   #269 (permalink)

Hi all,

I just installed this from Preware - looks cool! Thanks very much to the developers, as I know it's hard to find time to work on these cool projects for the benefit of other people!

I came here because I'm confused by the name/what this is/who is making it - I have just installed the app from the Preware and with it being called 'Isis' I was expecting it to use the new QtWebkit engine, but on the front page of the forum post here that I've just read it says it *isn't*? (I must admit I checked the useragent before coming here, and it seems the same as the default one...). I couldn't see any announcement or anything on Isis Project (which is the first place I looked for this information, *not* this thread...)

I must confess I haven't read all 14 pages of this forum thread (I assume the front forum post is up-to-date, as it often used a bit like a wiki around here?) but I wonder if a lot of the confusion could be cleared up if more of the information from the OP was included on Preware? Something that said (as the OP does): -This is not from the Isis team, - This uses the stock webkit implementation on the Touchpad.

Anyway, thanks for making this! Looking forward to a time when we can see a newer rendering (and Javascript!) engine too
Jonny.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by dignitary, dkirker
Old 04/22/2013, 08:48 PM   #270 (permalink)

As a casual reader of "Isis related" threads I would just like to say that I have reluctantly been forced to read most of this thread to resolve my confusion over what Isis means. It makes no sense to me to persist with the name in the face of the confusion that it causes, but obviously the OP does not share that opinion.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2013, 09:01 PM   #271 (permalink)

He's either too stubborn to change or just doesn't care that he is confusing people. /EOF

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by shicky256 likes this.
Old 04/23/2013, 04:55 AM   #272 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

@Jonny: And that's what I mean that some people don't take the time to read the OP. Because you didn't read the OP at all else you would've read that I have a lot of time to work on this so it's not hard at all to find time.

And it doesn't seem like you've read the description in Preware either because it says that it's not HP's Isis in the first line (!). Here, I annotated it for you: http://i.imgur.com/OSVpzfg.png

Last edited by Vistaus; 04/23/2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04/23/2013, 12:06 PM   #273 (permalink)

Quote:
And it doesn't seem like you've read the description in Preware either because it says that it's not HP's Isis in the first line (!). Here, I annotated it for you: http://i.imgur.com/OSVpzfg.png
<Grrrr> Jonny, how dare you comment on the Preware description without reading it? - From Vistaus's annotated image there can be no doubt, we have picture-proof!

Anyway...here are two screenshots from the preware description I had on my touchpad after I read Jonny's post (left) and after I read Vistaus's post (right): http://i.imgur.com/5JOROWN.png. Maybe it's a bug in preware, but I just wanted to point out that the accusation that Jonny did not read the description is incorrect, unjustified, and uncalled for.
Old 04/23/2013, 02:31 PM   #274 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Oh, I'm sorry for accusing Johnny then. Apperantly, Preware didn't parse the description right (maybe a bug indeed) because as you can see in my screenshot it was supposed to be there.

I sincerely apologize for accusing you about the Preware thing Johnny.

Old 04/23/2013, 04:55 PM   #275 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry for accusing Johnny then. Apperantly, Preware didn't parse the description right (maybe a bug indeed) because as you can see in my screenshot it was supposed to be there.

I sincerely apologize for accusing you about the Preware thing Johnny.
Yea, it is weird - I'm still not seeing the first line of the description in Preware! Anyone have any idea why not? Neither does Preware show the name 'Juna Avalon' as a link!?

Either way, that description makes *all* the difference - had I seen that I'd not have even come to the forums at all

Even with lots of spare time (indeed, I hadn't read the whole of the first post, I read the top of the Changelog and found the info I was looking for , you don't have to spend it making free apps for people, so my gratefulness remains!
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 04/23/2013, 05:02 PM   #276 (permalink)

Quote:
<Grrrr> Jonny, how dare you comment on the Preware description without reading it? - From Vistaus's annotated image there can be no doubt, we have picture-proof!
It's a curious world, but I didn't have that line! I guess you're joking/being sarcastic here, though, as you mention that you *also* didn't have it below? I can never tell on the internet :P

Quote:
Anyway...here are two screenshots from the preware description I had on my touchpad after I read Jonny's post (left) and after I read Vistaus's post (right): http://i.imgur.com/5JOROWN.png. Maybe it's a bug in preware, but I just wanted to point out that the accusation that Jonny did not read the description is incorrect, unjustified, and uncalled for.
Thanks for showing this. I was very confused.

I updated my feeds and now have the fuller description - is that what you did to get the difference between your screen-shots too?
Old 04/24/2013, 01:46 PM   #277 (permalink)

I was able to download it and completed the installation using Preware. When I start it, a new card opens, the Iris globe logo appears blinking. That's it. Nothing ever comes up. If I tap the card it comes to the front, but never loads. I using a VZW Pre2 WebOS 2.1.0. I've tried several times. Any ideas? Thanks.
tjgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2013, 04:17 PM   #278 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgriffin View Post
I was able to download it and completed the installation using Preware. When I start it, a new card opens, the Iris globe logo appears blinking. That's it. Nothing ever comes up. If I tap the card it comes to the front, but never loads. I using a VZW Pre2 WebOS 2.1.0. I've tried several times. Any ideas? Thanks.
It's not ready for the Pre 2 and 3 yet That's why I named it "for HP Touchpad" in Preware. But don't worry: I'm working on it, Pre 2 and 3 support is on the way

Old 04/24/2013, 09:08 PM   #279 (permalink)

Quote:
It's not ready for the Pre 2 and 3 yet That's why I named it "for HP Touchpad" in Preware. But don't worry: I'm working on it, Pre 2 and 3 support is on the way
I'm so excited(Vistaus), can't wait for the updated browser Isis Web App to be Pre ready.

You got me checking Preware every day, crossing my fingers that it will say Isis Web Browser for Pre WebOS phones.
Old 04/25/2013, 08:53 AM   #280 (permalink)

Ahhh! I thought I saw somewhere it was ready. Thanks so much!

Quote:
tjgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0